OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Happy first day of Fall/Autumn! My favourite time of the year, the "ber" months bring beautiful, cool air, hockey, and the most gorgeous scenery. Enjoy nature, take in the beauty and be thankful for what Mother Nature brings us. Be kind and protect our environment.

1726997813403.jpeg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Nasty storms (no twisty things thankfully) hitting the area as a cold front comes through. We got so much rain that the road I live on had to be shut down at the main intersection because of how fast the water came up.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
3.5 miles from me at the cross of my street and Main Street. Near the bakery.

The major intersection after my apartments completely flooded out and they closed it for a bit. The drains here cannot handle the almost 3 inches of rain we got in less an a half hour.

Looks like Mother Nature is about to unleash another round from now until about 11pm

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
3.5 miles from me at the cross of my street and Main Street. Near the bakery.

The major intersection after my apartments completely flooded out and they closed it for a bit. The drains here cannot handle the almost 3 inches of rain we got in less an a half hour.

Looks like Mother Nature is about to unleash another round from now until about 11pm

Stay safe!!!

Reactions: Alicat

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
  • Haha
Reactions: caz16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Reactions: Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Adventures in junior high math class ahead!

Did a bunch of 7th grade math homework over the weekend. It started out all innocent and sweet, -7-5 and 8-(-3) type stuff. Then we flipped the page and it quickly evolved into multiplying and dividing mixed numbers, negatives, decimals, and improper fractions. Now, I'm no genius, but I'm no dummy either. This was a rough night for the TD Charlie household.

The best way to explain it is that when I see equations like that it almost forms pictures in my head. Lots and lots of pictures. Parts of pictures that I segment and keep aside and pull from a couple steps later. I'll get the right answer without touching a pencil, but I have NO IDEA how to explain to a 12 year old how I got there. The pictures just come together

To make matters worse, her math teacher doesn't use a textbook. I respect the move, as he's been teaching for 20+ years and he didn't like the way modern textbooks pushed pre-algebra to his students, so he and the other 7th grade math teacher started creating their own workbooks. While I like his methods, it made it REALLY hard for me to try to bridge the gap between the magical pictures in my head and how he was presenting the material to my daughter. Luckily, I finally said one right phrase because I saw the light bulb go on in her head, and she crushed the next two pages by converting everything she saw into a fraction. Apparently that was one of the steps her teacher was presenting.

She has a test today (Monday math test, so brutal) that she was super nervous about last night. I suspect she will do ok. Not a perfect 100, but she won't fail it. I gave her a good pep talk and told her that the most important lesson she will learn in school is work ethic, and that she already proved it to me last night with how she handled her homework. She said she wasn't worried at all about the math test this morning because she knows that I'm proud of her no matter how she does on one test, and "besides, I know I'll do fine on the test"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad