OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My favorite time of year.

Please continue.

IMG_1002.jpeg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Stopped at a local farm the other day for a half dozen apple cider donuts. 7 bucks for fresh donuts at a local farm stand, can’t beat that.

I’ve had my fill of fall things already though. Gimme the snow.

Reactions: lopey

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Stopped at a local farm the other day for a half dozen apple cider donuts. 7 bucks for fresh donuts at a local farm stand, can’t beat that.

I’ve had my fill of fall things already though. Gimme the snow.
I’ll settle for some rain at this point.

Doesn’t look like we’ll get much if any next 3 days.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
I look forward to the cooler temps as I am not a big fan of too hot with high humidity and this summer was terrible for being to humid and was not good for our garden this year. Last year it rained more and the garden did great. Looking forward to the colder temps and now that we both are retired can have more time for cleaning the driveway. Our driveway is always down to the tar, the only thing I really dislike is we had a metal roof but on and it slides off the roof and into the driveway which is going back out and clearing that and the sidewalk plow makes a mess at the end of the driveway. Like I said the more time will be nicer than coming home from work and clearing the whole driveway :thumbu:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I love fall when the temps start getting colder.
One thing I hate about it though is the nymph deer ticks start coming back out again around end of Sept/early Oct

Reactions: shelbysdad

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I love fall when the temps start getting colder.
One thing I hate about it though is the nymph deer ticks start coming back out again around end of Sept/early Oct
Agreed! Where in MA are you again? I remember its somewhere woodsy

In VT its been a hot September but the nights have been cool, lots of 40s which is nice. Just need a damn frost to kill off the bugs!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Called to establish electric service at the new place. No option to do it online, so I called.

They immediately put you into the automated decision tree and the first thing they want to do is look up your account. Which I don't have yet since I'm trying to start service, so it goes through "we don't recognize that phone number, blah blah" before they finally decide to let you speak to a rep. Why must they make things so difficult.

Then of course they want a deposit of $256 :amazed: but if you let them do a soft credit check it can be waived. So I told her to go ahead and she comes back within three seconds "good call, deposit is waived" lol

Anyway... one more thing off the list....

I hate moving.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2nd interview for the HR role I really want with local college but scrambling to locate one of my references by a great Manager that I know they will request as I was in HR with 3 separate Unions in the organization much like this role.

PANIC AT THE DISCO

I have other great references but I know they`ll want to know how I navigated a HR role with multiple unions involved

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
2nd interview for the HR role I really want with local college but scrambling to locate one of my references by a great Manager that I know they will request as I was in HR with 3 separate Unions in the organization much like this role.

PANIC AT THE DISCO

I have other great references but I know they`ll want to know how I navigated a HR role with multiple unions involved
Hope you get it!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Supposed to be 99 today, 100 tomorrow and 98 Saturday. There's rumblings of a nice cool down coming for next week. Mid to upper 70's is absolutely perfect. Despite the heat, fall is coming because the ragweed is out of control.

I figured out that I likely had covid when I got my vaccine and that's why I had such a nasty reaction. I have allergies so I can't tell the difference between them and a cold unless I get a sore throat. Didn't have one which can only mean that I likely had a mild case when I got the shot and had 48 hours of yuck. I know exactly where I got it from too.

Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Here are some Thursday questions - I got the day right! (I hope!)

1) Give me your favourite pizza order - type of crust, name toppings, where you want it from, or do you make it yourself?

2) If you could witness one historic event, with no danger to yourself, just as an observer, what would it be?

3) How many siblings do you have? Do you get along or wish you could trade them in? Maybe you are an only child, do you wish you had siblings?

4) Describe the best trip you ever took - what was the favourite memory from that trip? It could just be day trips too, whatever was the best.

5) What is your favourite current TV show - could be an old show but the first time you are watching or something brand new? Tell us how to watch along!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

1) Give me your favourite pizza order - type of crust, name toppings, where you want it from, or do you make it yourself?
I don't care for super heavy pizza, so as long as it isn't THAT, I'll wreck it. Bar pizza is always a hit. Sausage peppers onions, pepperoni bacon, even a little jalapeno Hawaiian is nice
2) If you could witness one historic event, with no danger to yourself, just as an observer, what would it be?
I started to really take a deep dive on this one and everything I could think of was incredibly tragic, and I don't want to be traumatized for life. Sooo...I'm not really sure on this one.
3) How many siblings do you have? Do you get along or wish you could trade them in? Maybe you are an only child, do you wish you had siblings?
2 younger brothers. The youngest hopefully keeping an eye on me from the Great Beyond. There were definitely times I probably wanted to trade him in and now I get to sit with that until we meet again.
4) Describe the best trip you ever took - what was the favourite memory from that trip? It could just be day trips too, whatever was the best.
Flew out to California in an attempt to connect with my late brother. Met up with a couple of his California friends and they took us around San Francisco for the night. Got to spend some time overlooking the city from Twin Peaks. It was overwhelming to say the least. The whole trip.

The last few summer vacations with the kids have also been amazing. A couple Disney trips, Universal Studios, Six Flags and Sesame Street, Canobie Lake and Whales Tale. Seeing the kids light up and enjoy the same shit I did 30 years ago is simply the greatest thing ever. I think they would march up the steps of those water slides, TOGETHER, all day and never get sick of it. And I'd happily sit at the bottom and watch them come and go, everybody laughing the entire time.
5) What is your favourite current TV show - could be an old show but the first time you are watching or something brand new? Tell us how to watch along!
Probably Snowpiercer. Series finale this weekend I believe! Four seasons, hour long episodes, an easy binge. Plus, Jennifer Connelly

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

1. I'm a big fan of pizza, and could answer this a hundred ways. NY Style pepperoni, a good white pizza. Pizza hut pan pizza. But I think if I were by myself for a night and going to treat myself, I'd go for a specialty buffalo chicken pizza - with buffalo sauce/blue cheese as the base, and breaded chicken. That's the best right there.

2. I assume anything religious is out of bounds. The French Revolution would be a trip.

3. One older brother. We get along but aren't terribly close. No problems, we just have our own lives and interests, there's a 4 year gap between us so we were usually in different stages of life and different circles growing up.

4. It's really hard to choose one. I've been to a good number of places, some had great sights, but other parts not as good. I guess the biggest journey I took was Machu Picchu, which was good but exhausting.

5. I recently finished a Gentleman in Moscow which was really good. I currently am watching mysteries on Britbox, Agatha Christie's Marple, which is fun (but some episodes are much stronger than others).

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

1) My favorite pizza combo is bacon and jalapeño. A little salty, and a little spicy. We’ve got a lot of the Greek “house of pizza” type places here so that’s usually what we get. I do have an Ooni pizza oven and I love it, but free time to make my own is hard to come by these days.

2) I wish I could have been in the stands for the Miracle on Ice. Certainly historic for a sports event and to be present there must have been incredible.

3) I have 3 brothers. We’re all big guys and we practically ate my parents out of house and home growing up. We all get along today, probably because we’re not all squeezed into a small house like we were growing up.

4) My wife and I took a trip to Ireland to see U2 over Thanksgiving in 2015. That concert was probably the best I’ve ever attended and the energy in that arena could have lit up Dublin for months.

5) I’m not much of a TV watcher and anything that’s new, I haven’t seen. Having a 4 month old is time consuming and I’m lucky to last 5 minutes on the couch without falling asleep.

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Thin. NY style. Pepperoni. Papa Gino’s

The resurrection.

I have 3 younger sisters. I havent talked to the youngest since a week after my Mom died 4 years ago.

Disneyworld for Halloween. When my twins were 6 and oldest was 10.

Although just finished, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Reactions: caz16

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Agreed! Where in MA are you again? I remember its somewhere woodsy

In VT its been a hot September but the nights have been cool, lots of 40s which is nice. Just need a damn frost to kill off the bugs!
It Princteon/Holden area.

Very woodsy. Its northern central mass area.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Thin. NY style. Pepperoni. Papa Gino’s

The resurrection.

I have 3 younger sisters. I havent talked to the youngest since a week after my Mom died 4 years ago.

Disneyworld for Halloween. When my twins were 6 and oldest was 10.

Although just finished, Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Time, oh how she flies. I bet your kids feel similarly about that trip too. I first went when I was 7, and 33 years later my father and I still talk about it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Called to establish electric service at the new place. No option to do it online, so I called.

They immediately put you into the automated decision tree and the first thing they want to do is look up your account. Which I don't have yet since I'm trying to start service, so it goes through "we don't recognize that phone number, blah blah" before they finally decide to let you speak to a rep. Why must they make things so difficult.

Then of course they want a deposit of $256 :amazed: but if you let them do a soft credit check it can be waived. So I told her to go ahead and she comes back within three seconds "good call, deposit is waived" lol

Anyway... one more thing off the list....

I hate moving.
Don't forget to change your address with your banks. credit cards, doctors, pharmacy, insurance companies. What an absolute pain in the ass. I had a 2 page checklist of who I needed to change my address with.

Oh and don't forget to change your address with the county election office

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
It Princteon/Holden area.

Very woodsy. Its northern central mass area.
Nice!

When we were looking to move out of Salem and get some more space we were looking at Princeton, Plympton, and Harvard. Luckily before we pulled the trigger I got wind that my job was trying to establish a presence in the Upper valley of VT/NH (Near Dartmouth college) and jumped at that.

Princeton is a great town, good schools. Do they still have the barn restaurant?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Nice!

When we were looking to move out of Salem and get some more space we were looking at Princeton, Plympton, and Harvard. Luckily before we pulled the trigger I got wind that my job was trying to establish a presence in the Upper valley of VT/NH (Near Dartmouth college) and jumped at that.

Princeton is a great town, good schools. Do they still have the barn restaurant?
yes. they just re opened it about 2 years ago. Great spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad