Kyle Okposo retires

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Was rooting for him to get his cup. Hadn't played a playoff game since 2016 as he joined Buffalo immediately after. Took on a captaincy there with grace. The guy is all class - good luck in retirement KO!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So happy he was able to get a cup and go out on top. One of my all time favorite islanders.

People might not realize but early on and through his career he had several career jeopardizing injuries. I feel that’s why he never become the player he could been but he still was damn good! The Phaneuf Pre-season head shot. The torn labrum. And then the detached retina. All on the island and he came back and still showed up the best he could.

Some of the best games and most exciting games were when Okposo played like a bull in a china shop. Thats when he was at his best and most dominant. Great with the fans. By all accounts great teammate. I hope he comes back to the island at so point so the fans can give him his flowers and show him love.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
thanks okie, dude got the cup third, mustve had a crazy presence in the locker room, that or he was the oldest lol
1726765512947.jpeg

Snap

Mar 7, 2024
Had a great career, got his ring and rode off into the sunset. You love to see it.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Did he play enough to get his name on the cup?
Yes, you just need to have played 1 game in the finals, he played 6.

I kind of feel a bit bad for guys like this, but not sure, I'm making an assumption here. I feel like he must have still wanted to play, otherwise he would have retired a few months ago, but now it's getting close to the season and interest hasn't been there to bring him on to the team or a team?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes, you just need to have played 1 game in the finals, he played 6.

I kind of feel a bit bad for guys like this, but not sure, I'm making an assumption here. I feel like he must have still wanted to play, otherwise he would have retired a few months ago, but now it's getting close to the season and interest hasn't been there to bring him on to the team or a team?

At the same time though, it's really what's best for him. He can't skate at an NHL level anymore.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Dig out that Athletic story and marvel at how he managed to thread the needle between simple despair and abject horror, to emerge as a leader/role player worthy of playing minutes for a Cup champion.

I enjoyed Kyle on the Island (I’ll never forget the Niskanen fight and timely goals that nearly turned the 2013 NYI-PITT series on its head), I was happy for him when he got the Sabre captaincy, and abrim with joy when he grabbed Stanley to throw it over his head for a victory lap in June.

Retirement was coming. We knew this. The tank was empty.

Wishing Okpo good health and happiness, with thanks for some memorable moments for my team, and a hearty congratulations for a job done well, one that ended on the highest note the sport can offer.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Terry Pegula hoping we can lure him out of retirement and overpay him just one last time.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
So happy he was able to get a cup and go out on top. One of my all time favorite islanders.

People might not realize but early on and through his career he had several career jeopardizing injuries. I feel that’s why he never become the player he could been but he still was damn good! The Phaneuf Pre-season head shot. The torn labrum. And then the detached retina. All on the island and he came back and still showed up the best he could.

Some of the best games and most exciting games were when Okposo played like a bull in a china shop. Thats when he was at his best and most dominant. Great with the fans. By all accounts great teammate. I hope he comes back to the island at so point so the fans can give him his flowers and show him love.
I was there when he scored those 4 goals against PIT, first time seeing someone score 4 in a game. Always a favorite of mine.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Cool to see him leave now after winning a Cup.. love it!!…. Now go get yourself a cushy job with NYI or BUFF and stay in the game!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad