Tennis: Australian Open 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As his biggest detractor, yes it does. Today is a painful day.

Part of it though is that so much of Federer's game was rooted in precise technique, and less in raw emotion and power. He's a finely tuned Swiss machine by almost every definition of the word. And you know how long those things last before breaking down. :laugh:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Kind of puts Federer's amazing longevity into a different light.

Well maybe getting his ass kicked a couple of times will motivate him enough to regain the number one spot...

Federer is just from another planet :laugh:

i think the guy just genuinely adore to play tennis and has no idea what else he could do without always traveling on the tour :laugh:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
An incredibly quality match between Serena and Safarova. More befitting of a quarterfinal than a 2nd round match, really. Both ladies were excellent on serve; Serena dominant on her 1st a little shaky on her 2nd and Lucie completely befuddling Serena as a lefty with her pace and placement. I think Safarova had 27 winners to only 16 unforced errors... insane.

Very tough opening couple rounds for Serena. To get through Bencic and then an in form Safarova is very encouraging as she still hasn't yet knocked off all the rust. Whew.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well maybe getting his ass kicked a couple of times will motivate him enough to regain the number one spot...

Federer is just from another planet :laugh:

i think the guy just genuinely adore to play tennis and has no idea what else he could do without always traveling on the tour :laugh:

I think you're bang on here in all respects. :nod:

Oct 18, 2006
Thiem is looking amazing. My goodness this is some crisp ball striking. With Djokovic out he could take advantage of his draw and even reach a SF.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Actually, what a shocker to wake up to. And at the Australian Open, too, where he has dominated so convincingly. As a danger sign, this defeat in this place may be right up there with Nadal beginning to lose to other Spaniards; in other words, a harbinger of serious decline. Hope not, but it's not a good feeling right now.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Wow...I though Novak had it in the bag when I wen't to bed after he won the 3rd set. What a shocker for sure. This really opens the door for Raonic to reach another GS final.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This doesn't explain Federer, but with both Rafa and Nole maybe they just became worn down making so many semis and finals over the years. Obviously that kind of dominance is an advantage in the short term, but eventually it has to take a toll both on your body and your mind. As that happens, other players begin to think that they have a chance which closes the gap a little further.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
This doesn't explain Federer, but with both Rafa and Nole maybe they just became worn down making so many semis and finals over the years. Obviously that kind of dominance is an advantage in the short term, but eventually it has to take a toll both on your body and your mind. As that happens, other players begin to think that they have a chance which closes the gap a little further.

It's really just 'mileage' isn't it? Both Nole and Rafa have played a lot of ATP matches in their careers. Of course Roger has played even more, but while there is no stat on average distance travelled or time spent on court per match by player I'm fairly confident that Djokovic and Nadal have covered more distance and spent more time on court in their matches than Federer has, at least on a per match basis.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's really just 'mileage' isn't it? Both Nole and Rafa have played a lot of ATP matches in their careers. Of course Roger has played even more, but while there is no stat on average distance travelled or time spent on court per match by player I'm fairly confident that Djokovic and Nadal have covered more distance and spent more time on court in their matches than Federer has, at least on a per match basis.

No doubt. Style of play between the players (Federer vs Djokovic/Nadal) is much, much different. The latter two play a much more physically demanding style because they aren't able to get the free points/shorter points that Federer could get. Federer's vastly superior serve and ground strokes made a big difference.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Who knew winning French Open would be the worst thing that happened to Novak? (Kinda) Three straight slams where he's looked bad even though he did make it to the finals at USO. If this is it, this is it. I regret not being able to watch a single grand slam match live. :(

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Who knew winning French Open would be the worst thing that happened to Novak? (Kinda) Three straight slams where he's looked bad even though he did make it to the finals at USO. If this is it, this is it. I regret not being able to watch a single grand slam match live. :(

I thought you were planning on going to one of the majors this year to catch him? Or was that somebody else? Or perhaps it was somebody I know from a different forum... can't remember.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I thought you were planning on going to one of the majors this year to catch him? Or was that somebody else? Or perhaps it was somebody I know from a different forum... can't remember.

I was planning on going to French Open this year, but that all changed as the dates didn't work out. :(

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I was planning on going to French Open this year, but that all changed as the dates didn't work out. :(

Damn, that sucks.

I really want to make the US Open this year work, but it'd be a trek from San Diego. Figure it may be the last chance I ever have of seeing Federer and Serena at a slam though so would love to have it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad