Tennis: Australian Open 2017

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andy wins the first set against Marchenko, 7-5. Not exactly a struggle as Marchenko is averaging two unforced errors per game, but one of those grind-it out-affairs against an inferior opponent. Andy twice couldn't hold service advantages, so, yeah, I guess that's qualifies as struggle, come to think of it. But the issue does not seem in doubt.

2nd set: Early break for Marchenko, 3-1. Doubt it will last long....Marchenko still up a break at 4-3 and almost had another one. Andy shows no urgency at all while Illya is starting to hit a lot of winners. Worm had better turn pretty soon in this set....the worm gets a lot of help as Marchenko tightens and loses his serve, 4-4....Strong game by Illya takes it to a tie breaker. Murray first serving at 46% for the match so far...Andy takes the tie breaker. Illya played hard that set, but he is just not programmed to win these things. Whatever happens the rest of the way, inauspicious start for Andy--though he did show more signs of life when Illya pushed him in the second set.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Are Félix Auger Aliassime , Denis Shapovalov or Bianca Andreescu going to participate at Aus open this year?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Surprising number of tasty matches today for the first round.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Are Félix Auger Aliassime , Denis Shapovalov or Bianca Andreescu going to participate at Aus open this year?

Felix and Denis are not. Felix is going through Futures tournaments right now and Denis is on the Challenger circuit, his ranking after withdrawals was about 6 spots short of getting into qualifying, he should be in the men's draw next year (whether DA or Qualies)

Felix just lost a final in Plantation Florida yesterday while also playing qualies for next weeks tournament in Sunrise Florida. (The two courts are 5 miles apart). He was also playing doubles. He pretty much ran out of steam, was up a set and a break, had match point, lost was broken, lost the second set tie break, then was bagelled in the 3rd set. He then gave his opponent in the qualifying draw a walkover.

Denis is in Maui next week for a Challenger event. I do believe both are done with junior events.

However Benjamin Sigouin is there. He is currently ranked 4 as a junior and will be the 2nd seed.

Bianca is currently on the acceptance list for junior AO

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Serena looked like complete garbage to begin this match but has picked up her play significantly from 3-3 in the first set on while Bencic's has gone off the rails somewhat. She has no answers for Serena's weapons and her own serve has become wobbly more-so than usual.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
And I almost jinxed it. Serena's serve went completely AWOL from 6-4, 5-0 up and Bencic, credit to her, pounced. Got it back to 5-3 in the 2nd set and got Serena's last service game to deuce.

Serena, fix that serve and those nerves, gurl.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Gotta love these announcers during the Raonic match. First of all, how can they not know how to produce his last name after all this time? And then they get all excited because Brown made an acrobatic shot when he's down 2 sets and a break?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Dominant win from Milos, which was expected, but still nice to have. Fine start to the tournament for him. He looked very relaxed and confident.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Gotta love these announcers during the Raonic match. First of all, how can they not know how to produce his last name after all this time? And then they get all excited because Brown made an acrobatic shot when he's down 2 sets and a break?

I can never watch a Raonic match without hearing"Raw-Niche", "Raw-Nick" and "Ray-On-Ick"... it's amazing really.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I can never watch a Raonic match without hearing"Raw-Niche", "Raw-Nick" and "Ray-On-Ick"... it's amazing really.

The first two I can forgive, as "Raw" is not that far off from "Rao", and with any name ending in ic, your both "ik" and "ich". Hoever I cannot forgive anyone calling him "Ray-on-ic/h" It's not even close, the dude is your World #3 learn to say his name.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Reilly Opelka might take out the 11 seed. Tied in a 5th set.
He's a ****ing monster, the unholy progeny of John Isner and a 500 pound gorilla. This is like watching Goliath against an 86 pound weakling, but the weakling is managing to hang in there, if just barely, 3-3 in the fifth. Opelka so far has 63 winners and 66 unforced errors, most of them hit at warp speed velocity....unfortunately for Reilly, he only has raw power, so when he misses, he can miss by a mile. Goffin keeps the ball in play and gets a huge service break for 5-4 and now David will be serving for the match....David wins in five sets, and I am sure that he is glad that that ordeal is over.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He's a ****ing monster, the unholy progeny of John Isner and a 500 pound gorilla. This is like watching Goliath against an 86 pound weakling, but the weakling is managing to hang in there, if just barely, 3-3 in the fifth. Opelka so far has 63 winners and 66 unforced errors, most of them hit at warp speed velocity.

ANd then he gets broken at love at 4-all on a DF. Goffin to serve for the match.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Felix and Denis are not. Felix is going through Futures tournaments right now and Denis is on the Challenger circuit, his ranking after withdrawals was about 6 spots short of getting into qualifying, he should be in the men's draw next year (whether DA or Qualies)

Felix just lost a final in Plantation Florida yesterday while also playing qualies for next weeks tournament in Sunrise Florida. (The two courts are 5 miles apart). He was also playing doubles. He pretty much ran out of steam, was up a set and a break, had match point, lost was broken, lost the second set tie break, then was bagelled in the 3rd set. He then gave his opponent in the qualifying draw a walkover.

Denis is in Maui next week for a Challenger event. I do believe both are done with junior events.

However Benjamin Sigouin is there. He is currently ranked 4 as a junior and will be the 2nd seed.

Bianca is currently on the acceptance list for junior AO

Thanks for the info!

Can't wait for Felix and Denis with the big boys!

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The first two I can forgive, as "Raw" is not that far off from "Rao", and with any name ending in ic, your both "ik" and "ich". Hoever I cannot forgive anyone calling him "Ray-on-ic/h" It's not even close, the dude is your World #3 learn to say his name.

You would think that'd be the case. I do notice watching Euro or Sky sports, they get the pronunciation right much more regularly than the North American commentators.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Surprised (not really lol) at the lack of love for that running backhand slice volley that Serena hit today. Will already go down as one of the shots of the tournament, that's how filthy it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad