Tennis: Australian Open 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Lol at Dr. Ivo who won his first round match in Isner-like fashion 22-20 in the 5th set. Lol again at a last point of the match.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kuznetsova wins an easy first set over Aussie 17-year-old, Jaimee Fourlis, who has charm and pluck, though it was hard to tell in that set how much game she possesses. I've always had a soft spot for Svetlana for the simple reason that she has provided me with so much entertaining, emotionally draining tennis over the years, at least a dozen or more tense three setters in big tournaments alone. Nice to see her back in the Top Ten, especially as a ways back there I was under the mistaken impression that she had retired.

2nd set: Fourlis is hitting out much more freely this set and chasing Svetlana around, but Jaimee's impatience cost her a break, 2-1 Kuznetsova....nice, inside out forehand scoring her some points, but Fourlis is giving away way too many points to the wily old trout on the other side of the net. Hate to say it but the kid doesn't look like a contender...6-1, as Kuznetsova applied nice steady pressure as the set progressed, lots of variety with some high bouncing balls thrown in for good measure. No drama this time around.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's hard to believe that for a couple of weeks in August of last year Steve Johnson was the #1 ranked American on the tour. Steve bloody Johnson. Must have given hope to club players everywhere. Anyway, easy first set for Wawrinka, 6-3.

2nd set: Johnson, whose game is based on not making mistakes, isn't making many, but Stan is still cruising in relatively carefree manner, 6-4.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Liked the match between Kerber and Witthoeft. Really encouraging performance by the 21 year old German Carina. After starting out pretty nervous on serve with 6 doubles in her first two service games, she served quite well. She could use a bit more touch and feel, couple times she had Angie well out of court and some nice angle would've paid off.

She's got enough power and can defend well enough to hang with the best. Just needs to work on consistency and decision making. I see no reason why she can't be a top 20 player, at worst. The key will be in finding consistency; there are many talented shot makers out there but without consistency it's never going to result in deep run in the slams. Will be monitoring her progress throughout the year. Current ranking is 89, should aim for a top 30 finish.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
So busy with school that I haven't been able to see any matches. Caught the highlights for some interesting ones. Keep posting here. I like reading people's opinions/set-by-set summaries.

Maybe this weekend. :(

Oct 18, 2006
Let's go Genie!!
Solid win for Bouchard. She's got a draw to take advantage of.

Meanwhile the always injured Cirstea is up a set against CSN, the 10th seed. The winner to face Alison Riske. Good section of the draw to be in, and if Sorana does manage to win its a huge result for her.

Oct 18, 2006
Nick Kygrios is the biggest disgrace. In complete control of the match, up 2 sets to love, then gets a verbal obscenity warning, then loses the plot. Smashes his racquet, point penalty against.

Seppi wins next two sets, gets a break to serve for the match at 5-4. Nick does a completely unnecessary tweeter for no reason, and is broken.

Now 7-7. I have no clue who wins this.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nick Kygrios is the biggest disgrace. In complete control of the match, up 2 sets to love, then gets a verbal obscenity warning, then loses the plot. Smashes his racquet, point penalty against.

Seppi wins next two sets, gets a break to serve for the match at 5-4. Nick does a completely unnecessary tweeter for no reason, and is broken.

Now 7-7. I have no clue who wins this.

And he lost , he needs to see some doctors and get some help... What a crack head :laugh:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Nice to see his "psychologist" helped him.

Good for Genie, I went to bed during the first set breaker. The set was very entertaining.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nice to see his "psychologist" helped him.

Good for Genie, I went to bed during the first set breaker. The set was very entertaining.

She seems more focused, which is good and what she needs. Vandeweghe next. Definitely winnable if she is playing well.

As for Kygrios, he's an immature moron. Tons of talent but no brain.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
And he lost , he needs to see some doctors and get some help... What a crack head :laugh:
I thought he already did get some sort of psychological counseling as a result of his suspension? Looks like it really helped. :laugh: At this stage, he has to want to help himself or he is just going to **** away a ton of talent. Don't know if there is much of a chance of that happening. As with Tomic for a time, it is so disheartening to see someone representing that flag not respecting the game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is this bare midriff stuff that Bouchard is wearing the new trend in women's tennis?

Not gonna lie, I was a little shocked when I saw that, but I haven't been following the women's game as much recently.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Is this bare midriff stuff that Bouchard is wearing the new trend in women's tennis?

Not gonna lie, I was a little shocked when I saw that, but I haven't been following the women's game as much recently.

I thought about it too to be honest...

Maybe a bit too much ... I'm supposed to track the ball not the player :laugh:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Looks like Bouchard's tournament will end against either Coco or Kerber/Pliskova.

Completely underwhelmed with Kerber's play thus far but I'm hoping she picks it up. Her serve has been dreadful this tournament and she's had loads of trouble dealing with Witthoeft's pace. But boy, has she ever become mentally strong over the past year and a half; not much phases her and you know she's never out of a match regardless of the score these days.

That Zverev/Isner match was ridiculous. In good ways and bad... glad to see the kid pull it out though.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Vastly overrated. Doesn't seem to enjoy Australia either.

He was my pick to win this Aus Open, thought he'd do (and look) much better than that disaster that he put on display. Think he's gone out in the 1st round every single time he's been in Melbourne... definitely some credence to that hypothesis.

Give him thime. :D

And whaddaya know? :handclap:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You were "shocked" by a bit of ab? Even Muguruza, with her conservative long sleeves, is showing a bit.

Not shocked in the sense of overall women's fashion these days; just wasn't aware that was what WTA players were wearing these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad