Auston Matthews or Jack Eichel?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Factor in their contracts and terms, who would you want?

• Matthews

Votes: 210 73.4%
  • Eichel

Votes: 76 26.6%

• Total voters

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Eichel has always been slightly underrated to me. I think he is closer to the top level of Centres than some would give him credit for.

That being said I'm still taking AM34 every day of the week.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Whenever Matthews has a dip in production, it’s always due to injury.

Which leads to my comment that Matthews must always be hurt.
I was questioning if his wrist was still bothering him when he hurt it before he put in goals 59-60 the year before in the 3rd game of the season, almost everything about his game changed which seemed like the reason was that wrist was not 100%. then later in the season they announced or I swear I recall them doing so and confirmed it.

go look at his stats, he never really had a crazy dip in production guy has been scoring at will since he entered the league. last season is the only season where he had a decent dip.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
till things dont go Eichels way and his bad attitude comes out. took him what 2-3 games to start rolling his eyes at the score when he first got traded to Vegas. just funny how so many people here have extremely short or selective memories.
What an interesting narrative to create. Such a weird thing to ignore a Stanley Cup over.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What an interesting narrative to create. Such a weird thing to ignore a Stanley Cup over.
EIchel has been in the league since 2015/16 and has shown a bad attitude almost every year since. sorry im not blinded by one good season out of 8 and Vegas was stacked Eichel isnt the only reason they won. he was a big part of it but he's hardly the only reason they won.

what hapoens if things go sour for Vegas? how many games till we see the old Eichel come out again?

some of you got really selective memories. Id take Eichel for the remaining years and trading for him was worth it because it resulted in a cup win but I have ZERO trust in that guy and would NEVER sign him long term.

Reactions: Voight

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
EIchel has been in the league since 2015/16 and has shown a bad attitude almost every year since. sorry im not blinded by one good season out of 8 and Vegas was stacked Eichel isnt the only reason they won. he was a big part of it but he's hardly the only reason they won.

what hapoens if things go sour for Vegas? how many games till we see the old Eichel come out again?

some of you got really selective memories. Id take Eichel for the remaining years and trading for him was worth it because it resulted in a cup win but I have ZERO trust in that guy and would NEVER sign him long term.
And where is your trust level in Matthews after 7 years of playoffs?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
when exactly was Eichel the better player throughout his career? only one season he out produced matthews and he only got 2 more points that season but played 7 more games. so when was Eichel considered better?
The season COVID hit, Eichel was a Hart candidate and probably the favorite up until the very end of that season. He sustained a late season injury and fell off a little at the end of that season, but he was dragging a terrible Buffalo team into playoff contention that season.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The season COVID hit, Eichel was a Hart candidate and probably the favorite up until the very end of that season. He sustained a late season injury and fell off a little at the end of that season, but he was dragging a terrible Buffalo team into playoff contention that season.
oh shit I some how missed that one, lol just 5 more points with the same amount of games so nothing really too crazy but yeah fair enough Buffalo wasnt that great. either way he's still a tier below Matthews for overall players.

Reactions: Voight

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If AM got 4 goals with no assists they would rip him apart.
Matthews got 5 goals versus Tampa in a series win and no one is "ripping him apart" for that series. Where he's being criticized for is his disappearing act the next round versus Florida where he didn't score a single goal.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Matthews got 5 goals versus Tampa in a series win and no one is "ripping him apart" for that series. Where he's being criticized for is his disappearing act the next round versus Florida where he didn't score a single goal.
"If AM got 4 goals and no assists"

"well he got 5 goals and 4 assists and nobody is ripping him apart!"

no shit, if you change the parameters of what I said, then you change the result!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"If AM got 4 goals and no assists"

"well he got 5 goals and 4 assists and nobody is ripping him apart!"

no shit, if you change the parameters of what I said, then you change the result!

I mean, where's the proof that he'd get ripped for 4 goals and no assists in a series win? The only series win he's had was this one so it's the only one I can reference.

Kind of hard to "change the parameters" of a hypothetical situation where there's no proof of the original claim.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I mean, where's the proof that he'd get ripped for 4 goals and no assists in a series win? The only series win he's had was this one so it's the only one I can reference.

Kind of hard to "change the parameters" of a hypothetical situation where there's no proof of the original claim.
So hypotheticals are no longer allowed unless they have proof? Do you know what hypothetical means?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
oh shit I some how missed that one, lol just 5 more points with the same amount of games so nothing really too crazy but yeah fair enough Buffalo wasnt that great. either way he's still a tier below Matthews for overall players.
Matthews had 80pts in 70 games that year and Eichel had 78pts in 68games (1.14ppg vs. 1.15). I think he was suggested that at points during the season Eichel was outperforming him and probably a favourite for the Hart (that part is a bit of a stretch).

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Matthews had 80pts in 70 games that year and Eichel had 78pts in 68games (1.14ppg vs. 1.15). I think he was suggested that at points during the season Eichel was outperforming him and probably a favourite for the Hart (that part is a bit of a stretch).
out preforming him with 11 less goals and behind by 2 points overall?

I dunno why im even replying, the whole Eichel vs Matthews thing isn't very close at all. you can clearly tell by the voting here and that's with the anti-leafs nonsense as well on top.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
out preforming him with 11 less goals and behind by 2 points overall?

I dunno why im even replying, the whole Eichel vs Matthews thing isn't very close at all. you can clearly tell by the voting here and that's with the anti-leafs nonsense as well on top.
I agree....just suggesting what I think his comment was (i.e. at points during the year Eichel may have been top 10 scoring....but by the end of the year he wasn't close to the leaders).

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Vegas got Eichel and a Cup. Leafs got Matthews and won a single playoff round in 7 years.

Eichel + the cap savings is proven better than Matthews and excuses.

But I would like my favorite TEAM to win Championships. Matthews fans are happy with his INDIVIDUAL awards. I’m not telling anyone how to enjoy hockey. Im happy Matthews fans are happy.
So you'd rather have Eichel than McDavid or Draisaitl. Got it.

Does a 22 game sample (last year's playoffs) really impact people's opinions that much? Without that I don't see any argument at all for Eichel.
This is HFBoards. Of course it does.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
So you'd rather have Eichel than McDavid or Draisaitl. Got it.
Yes. And I would take either of McDrai over “Me First” Matthews because it’s clear McDrai comes to play when it matters. The Edmonton supporting cast is lame. That should be a fixable problem. Too bad for the Oilers they have a has been GM. The problem With the Leafs is when it matters the big contracts are lame and so is the supporting cast. The problem With Leafs management is they run this team in fear of their big contract players. So they do nothing but rearrange the deck chairs around their “leaders” and hope for some reason after 7 years something different might happen.

Im not here to tell you how to have fun and enjoy hockey. Clearly there is a large group of Maple Leafs fans cheer for their players over their team. I prefer to support my team over players. Neither way is wrong.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So hypotheticals are no longer allowed unless they have proof? Do you know what hypothetical means?

No, you're saying I'm changing the parameters of the discussion and I'm arguing that the only actual proof we have (ie. how people react to Matthews scoring in the 4 goal range in a series win) was a positive one. So if I can't reference the one and only real situation where Toronto won a series, how do I go about refuting a hypothetical claim based on something that never happened?

It's like if a Vegas fan says "Leaf fans would still shit on Eichel's playoff performance even if he scores 25 goals en route to a Cup", how does one refute a made up conclusion based on a situation that never occured without somehow linking it to an actual situation, like how Eichel's viewed during this past run even if it doesn't involve "score 25 goals en route to a Cup"?

Or I'll make it simple. Claiming that people would still be down on Matthews if he scored 4 goals and 0 assists in a playoff series win is nothing more than victim complex stuff with zero evidence to support it.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
No, you're saying I'm changing the parameters of the discussion and I'm arguing that the only actual proof we have (ie. how people react to Matthews scoring in the 4 goal range in a series win) was a positive one. So if I can't reference the one and only real situation where Toronto won a series, how do I go about refuting a hypothetical claim based on something that never happened?

It's like if a Vegas fan says "Leaf fans would still shit on Eichel's playoff performance even if he scores 25 goals en route to a Cup", how does one refute a made up conclusion based on a situation that never occured without somehow linking it to an actual situation, like how Eichel's viewed during this past run even if it doesn't involve "score 25 goals en route to a Cup"?

Or I'll make it simple. Claiming that people would still be down on Matthews if he scored 4 goals and 0 assists in a playoff series win is nothing more than victim complex stuff with zero evidence to support it.
So youre just gonna double down on not knowing what a hypothetical is, pretend you didn't change the parameters of the hypothetical (you did) and say I have a victim complex to round it all out.

What am I a victim of, anyways?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

This is a bit of revisionist history.

"Probably the favorite" yet he finished 8th in voting (0.82% of the total).... doesn't add up. Even if he fell of near the end, and he been a favorite most of the year he would've finished with a much better result.

Sure he had a good season but he was never seriously the favourite or much of a contender.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is a bit of revisionist history.

"Probably the favorite" yet he finished 8th in voting (0.82% of the total).... doesn't add up. Even if he fell of near the end, and he been a favorite most of the year he would've finished with a much better result.

Sure he had a good season but he was never seriously the favourite or much of a contender.
Go read some of the threads back at the time. It was considered him, Draisaitl, Panarin, and MacKinnon as the four favorites. Eichel was doing it with so much less help. He had the best case.

Isn’t trying to say he only finished 8th the revisionist history? I’m saying what was the situation at the time, and you are the one trying to give the end result, which I admitted changed towards the end of that season due to injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad