Auston Matthews or Jack Eichel?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Factor in their contracts and terms, who would you want?

• Matthews

Votes: 210 73.4%
  • Eichel

Votes: 76 26.6%

• Total voters

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Matthews is on a different level than Eichel.

Even factoring in contracts, I would take him.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
People are for sure going to bring up Eichel's playoff run being better than anything Matthews has done in the postseason.

While that's probably true, It doesnt at all make up for Matthews being better when you compare his seasons from 19 to 25 to Eichel's. Matthews outproduced him in 5 out of those 7 seasons, and the other 2 he still outpaced Eichel. That's not even considering the edge in defensive play and the massive gap in goalscoring. 400+ game sample size > 22 game sample size.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
People are for sure going to bring up Eichel's playoff run being better than anything Matthews has done in the postseason.

While that's probably true, It doesnt at all make up for Matthews being better when you compare his seasons from 19 to 25 to Eichel's. Matthews outproduced him in 5 out of those 7 seasons, and the other 2 he still outpaced Eichel. That's not even considering the edge in defensive play and the massive gap in goalscoring. 400+ game sample size > 22 game sample size.
While yes Matthews has been twice the player in the tegular season. Matthews doesn't have an edge defensively

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Give me Eichel and $3.25m all day. If you can’t win a championship with Matthews @ $11.6m, you sure can’t win paying him $13.25m.

Exactly! Who cares if the cap changes or the team changes?

That is why Vegas missed the playoffs because if you can't make the playoffs with Eichel at 10.5, you can't make the playoffs with Eichel at 10.5.

Not in the playoffs he’s not.

Marchessault > Eichel

Eichel just lead his team to the Cup but you have to look at their complete body of work and take Matthews. Playoff struggles aside, he’s been the better player to date by a fair margin.

Marchessault just led his team to the cup, he is clearly far superior to Eichel.

I know you aren't arguing that, but that is the equivalent of other's opinions.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Exactly! Who cares if the cap changes or the team changes?

That is why Vegas missed the playoffs because if you can't make the playoffs with Eichel at 10.5, you can't make the playoffs with Eichel at 10.5.

Marchessault > Eichel

Marchessault just led his team to the cup, he is clearly far superior to Eichel.

I know you aren't arguing that, but that is the equivalent of other's opinions.
Can you make this coherent? I’m not sure what you are trying to say.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Can you make this coherent? I’m not sure what you are trying to say
The results from this poll will be a good example on why your opinion you put in the Matthews signing thread on repeat to the tune of 45+ posts, is for some reason emotion and feelings instead of thought and logic.

Matthews. Also, it’s not that close. I’d debate whether you should have 4 with 10+ million contracts, but you take the elite top 5 player every time.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Eichel is a great player. I had given up on him with the trade/surgery debacle in Buffalo. But he proved me wrong in Vegas. He is a #1C and a star.

This is still Matthews.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Well, your post made 0 sense and shows a lack of knowledge.

You argued past results = future results for a single player while Eichel went from never making the playoffs to winning the cup.
No other variables with Eichel?

He got into the playoffs and he performed. What’s the problem?

Matthews just chokes, over and over and over and over and over….

was he on a top regular season team with Buffalo? Are you comparing Buffalo to the Leafs and saying they are equals?

Does Eichels production shrink the bigger the game gets like Matthews?

How many years will it take for Matthews to put up 26 points in the playoffs like Eichel did. Matthews previous 3 years in the playoffs didn’t even add up to that. Will it be another 4?

are you just trying to say for the money Matthews makes, maybe one year possibly he will be worth his contract In the playoffs? How many years has it been? How many more will it be? Will he have a good playoff once in his career? Twice?

Again you aren’t making sense.

Give me Eichel and $3.5m.

The results from this poll will be a good example on why your opinion you put in the Matthews signing thread on repeat to the tune of 45+ posts, is for some reason emotion and feelings instead of thought and logic.

Matthews. Also, it’s not that close. I’d debate whether you should have 4 with 10+ million contracts, but you take the elite top 5 player every time.
Again you just chase me around getting upset at the facts.

Matthews isn’t elite when it matters most. He’s a cap hog And doesn’t produce. His whole career he has been a completely let down in the playoffs. That’s a fact.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Leafs1993

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No other variables with Eichel?

He got into the playoffs and he performed. What’s the problem?

Matthews just chokes, over and over and over and over and over….

was he on a top regular season team with Buffalo? Are you comparing Buffalo to the Leafs and saying they are equals?

Does Eichels production shrink the bigger the game gets like Matthews?

How many years will it take for Matthews to put up 26 points in the playoffs like Eichel did. Matthews previous 3 years in the playoffs didn’t even add up to that. Will it be another 4?

are you just trying to say for the money Matthews makes, maybe one year possibly he will be worth his contract In the playoffs? How many years has it been? How many more will it be? Will he have a good playoff once in his career? Twice?

Again you aren’t making sense.

Give me Eichel and $3.5m.

Again you just chase me around getting upset at the facts.

Matthews isn’t elite when it matters most. He’s a cap hog And doesn’t produce. His whole career he has been a completely let down in the playoffs. That’s a fact.
I literally can’t chase 45+ posts man. How many ppg players are there in the playoffs? Not many.

Has his ppg dipped in the playoffs? Yes. Is he still basically ppg? Also yes. He had 1 year that craters his stats, but is lifetime .88 ppg. And is 1 point per game in his last 5 years. He’d quite literally be the ~15th -17th highest active ppg playoff player. Quant hockey uses 50 games as a minimum sample so he’s not included but that’s the rough answer.

You’re for some odd reason so fixated on it, that you’re devoting a weird amount of time to a player you’re not even a fan of. Weird stuff.

Attachments

• 57291330-10E8-4AC5-9AB2-12313F194413.png
    57291330-10E8-4AC5-9AB2-12313F194413.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 9

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
While yes Matthews has been twice the player in the tegular season. Matthews doesn't have an edge defensively
Eichel has had no selke votes throughout his career.

And while Matthews isn't necessarily a serious competitor for the selke, he has gotten a few votes thrown his way. 10th, 14th, 16th.

You can debate the credibility of those placements, but at the very least he has been recognized as competent defensively throughout his career, enough so for a few people to give him some fringe votes. Same can't be said for Eichel.

He also has a positive takeaway/giveaway ratio throughout his career while Eichel doesnt.. and 443 blocks to Eichel's 294 despite having a year up on Matthews.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Matthews is the far better player, and Eichel having a cup doesn't change that.

If that's all it took Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby would both be better than Mcdavid.

They aren't, not even close
Thing is, nobody on the planet would ever consider taking 4th line grinders from a dynasty over McDavid. They aren't comparable players. Not even if they had won ten straight cups. You need someone comparable, IE Crosby, to really make the cup argument come into play.

Fair or not, and it will especially come into play even more if the 2024 postseason is similar to last year's, there are people who would take Eichel over Matthews when it comes to postseason play and who suits a team better.

Is Matthews better? Yes. Would I take him for certain over Eichel once the postseason starts? I would need to really think about that one.

Reactions: Peat

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I'm not all that sure Eichel helps the Leafs win any more than they do with Matthews so I don't think the "he won a cup" argument is all too valid. Matthews is definitely the better player between the two, so the only real question is whether that extra cap space can be the difference maker in building a cup-winning team considering they're both #1 centers. I don't really know the answer to that either. If you have a team with a lot of depth and don't necessarily need top-end talent to push them over the hump, Eichel should be a good selection. If you need a dynamic game-breaker that can steal you some games, maybe Matthews. Really depends on the build of your team.

Reactions: bh53 and Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad