Auston Matthews or David Pastrnak: Who has the better chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Matthews or Pastrnak?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's going to come down to the wire. I think at least one of them finishes with 60 goals tbh. Matthews won't slow down. He's hitting a different level under Keefe. He's sniffing top 5 in points too lol. But Pasta's line is still insane and so is their PP so it'll be close.

I was so confused by the 60 goal comment until I realized this wasn't the Panarin thread.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know how much this will effect the Rocket Richard race but if you put any stock into 5v5 goals scored, so far this season Matthews is 1st with 21 5v5 goals and Pastrnak is 2nd with 18 5v5 goals scored.

NHL.com Stats

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Its literally still a hat trick, he scored three goals in a game. Simple. Its not that deep.
I honestly don't count 4 goals as a hat trick. I would say that's Matthews' first NHL hat trick. If you said to someone that Matthews scored a hat trick in his first NHL game, they'd think he'd scored 3.

I suppose they just need to come up with a name for 4 goals.

1 - Goal
2 - Brace
3 - Hat Trick
4 - ????

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I don't know how much this will effect the Rocket Richard race but if you put any stock into 5v5 goals scored, so far this season Matthews is 1st with 21 5v5 goals and Pastrnak is 2nd with 18 5v5 goals scored.

NHL.com Stats
Even crazier is that Pastrnak has scored the first goal of the game 13 times (2nd in the NHL has only 6), Matthews has only opened the scoring for the Leafs once this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even crazier is that Pastrnak has scored the first goal of the game 13 times (2nd in the NHL has only 6), Matthews has only opened the scoring for the Leafs once this season.
Matthews has scored the first goal of the game more than once this season and I remember Sportsnet showing a graphic he was #1 in that category this season.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The only time I remember him doing that was when Matthews scored his 40th goal into the empty net against Pittsburgh in his rookie season.
That’s not true at all.

Every single 2 goal game, he’s been on the ice with less than 2 minutes to go.
The guy has 8 2 goal games this year alone.

He has also been great on faceoffs this year and has been on the ice for one of the last 2 shifts dozens of times over his 4 seasons thus far.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s not true at all.

Every single 2 goal game, he’s been on the ice with less than 2 minutes to go.
The guy has 8 2 goal games this year alone.

He has also been great on faceoffs this year and has been on the ice for one of the last 2 shifts dozens of times over his 4 seasons thus far.
In terms of Matthews just scoring empty net goals last night was only the second time he's done that. Now I happened to remember that Matthews has also been on the ice since than with the other teams goalie pulled, like on opening night this season against Ottawa he was taken down right before he was about to get a hat trick. So he hasn't been lucky to score into an empty net with the exception of two times in his career.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly the reason Matthews doesn't have more empty net goals is because Hyman specializes on those. That guy is a genius when it comes to the empty net goal. So I'd presume Matthews has often been out in those situations because they've often been on the same line.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
As many predicted Matthews is taking over the race. Considering how well him and the team is playing, 60 goals is a realistic expectation at this point.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
All this shows is how little he’s used in defensive positions at the end of the game. Supports the theory that Matthews is more of a stat-padder than a winner

tenor.gif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Honestly the reason Matthews doesn't have more empty net goals is because Hyman specializes on those. That guy is a genius when it comes to the empty net goal. So I'd presume Matthews has often been out in those situations because they've often been on the same line.
Hyman tends to be the guy who gets to break the zone early to be heavy on the forecheck and combined with that, he's great at winning loose puck battles in open ice, which is partially why he racks up ENGs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad