Auston Matthews or David Pastrnak: Who has the better chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Matthews or Pastrnak?

• Total voters

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
When talking about the absolute pinnacle of Matthews hockey career, the best and most special moment he has experienced, do you talk about the hat trick he had in his first game, or do you talk about how he had a 4 goal game? Personally, I call it a 4 goal game. But I can see why leaf fans seem to believe the best Matthews hockey moment of all time (kinda sad that that is his greatest moment in hockey now that it has been mentioned) is his lone hat trick almost 300 games ago

Reactions: dukeofjive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why one "would think that he would have had a hat trick in at least 1 or 2 games"? Matthews has never had an hat trick in his entire career so far (257 games, he's in his fourth season. He had that 4 goals game in his first game ever though).

Pastrnak has 7 hat tricks in his career. This season alone, he has a 4-goals game and two hat tricks. Pasta > Matthews, again.
My opinion is that if a player has eight games scoring at least 2 goals, you would think they should have at least 1 or 2 hat tricks and so far this season that hasn't happened for Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For those saying Matthews scoring 4 goals in his debut doesn't count as a hat trick I'm not sure if you are serious about that or are just trolling, take a look at the hats thrown on the ice after Matthews 3rd goal against Ottawa in his debut. Last time I checked fans only throw hats on the ice when a player scores a hat trick.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Tell me where I said it's not fair that Matthews hasn't scored any hat tricks this season? It's just an observation and I the only game where Matthews was robbed of one was on opening night when he had an empty net to get a hat trick and was taken down.
That’s a lot of words for simply saying “so far this season (and last season), Pastrnak is a better goal scorer than Matthews”.

But it’s nice to finally see you admit that. You could have saved yourself a lot of time if you had just said that earlier, but at least you finally reached that obvious conclusion. Kudos! Cheers

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I mean a healthy Bruins and Pasta is what I'll go with. He has a decent lead and hes put in a position to succeed.

Matthew's is in a position to succeed now but if he had that all season could have closed the gap.

Should be a good bout but anyone can win it still.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For those saying Matthews scoring 4 goals in his debut doesn't count as a hat trick I'm not sure if you are serious about that or are just trolling, take a look at the hats thrown on the ice after Matthews 3rd goal against Ottawa in his debut. Last time I checked fans only throw hats on the ice when a player scores a hat trick.

you didn’t hear the team gave them back their hats after the 4th goal was scored?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Went with Pasta. Does anyone really think Matthews is going to make it to the end of the season without another injury?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Went with Pasta. Does anyone really think Matthews is going to make it to the end of the season without another injury?
I honestly think Matthews plays all 82 games this season and I know he had some injuries the last 2 seasons, but people seem to forget he played all 82 games his rookie season and scored 40 goals. So he's ahead of that pace this season.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Two amazing goal scorers battling it out in the same division.

Some turd is going to steal it from them
giphy.gif

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So when I voted Matthews there was like a 12 goal gap...it’s somehow down to 1.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's going to come down to the wire. I think at least one of them finishes with 60 goals tbh. Matthews won't slow down. He's hitting a different level under Keefe. He's sniffing top 5 in points too lol. But Pasta's line is still insane and so is their PP so it'll be close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad