Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs got fleeced so bad by Matthews. He thinks he is close to McDavid, lol. Not even. Brutal. How the hell do 2 GMs cave in to his demands? Not only he gets the dollars, but also short term. Idiots.
The biggest difference is McDavid is a leader and he choose to take less $ with more term because he wanted to be where he is today.
Matthews is a good player, but there’s nothing in his entire hockey career that would suggest that he will lead a team in B2B wins in the SCF.

So McDavid took less money so his team could be better? Hmm….
McDavid literally said that. And term.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How can Tre and Shanny sleep at night after watching these playoffs knowing that they are paying Matthews and Nylander $24.75m next year? Total f***ing joke. McDavid is one point behind Nylander's 8 year career playoff points in these playoffs. Of course, if you are here to sell jerseys, let's pay Mitch $100m and keep the party going. The Leafs and those that defend this garbage are the laughing stocks of the league.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Watching the level that Edmonton’s stars are running at it’s become pretty clear that our stars playoff failures, timid play and inconsistency is unacceptable and it’s almost inconceivable that they can get close to that level of intensity. They are all suspects at this point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Watching the level that Edmonton’s stars are running at it’s become pretty clear that our stars playoff failures, timid play and inconsistency is unacceptable and it’s almost inconceivable that they can get close to that level of intensity. They are all suspects at this point.
Think Florida will be able to match Edmontons intensity or is the series over?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Leafs got fleeced so bad by Matthews. He thinks he is close to McDavid, lol. Not even. Brutal. How the hell do 2 GMs cave in to his demands? Not only he gets the dollars, but also short term. Idiots.
Matthews has always been about maximizing his earning potential, even before being drafted by the Leafs. There's a reason why he went over to Switzerland as a 17 year old.

He won't take short term on his next deal, I guarantee it. It'll be a 7-8 year deal taking him to his late 30's.

People give Marner and Nylander crap for being greedy and rightfully so, but I honestly think Matthews is the worst culprit of the bunch. I literally can't think of a star player who went medium term on their 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

I wonder how the Leafs would have responded if they were down 3-0 in the finals like Edmonton was.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He really doesn't do that, but that debate is for another time.

Simply put, he has to figure out a way to win. It doesn't matter if he puts up 1.5 PPG or stays at his current .87. Just win. I realise that this is a team game, and not all responsibility falls on him, but do you hear anyone saying anything about how Tkachuk is struggling?

No, because they are winning. Matthews stil has a higher PPG than Tkachuck for their career in the playoffs. Tkachuk has had more team success. He has 1 poimt is his last 6 games. If that were Matthews, even if they were in the Cup finals, people would be all over him.

It looks like the Leafs have made up their mind to move forward with Matthews and Nylander. Now surround them with a team that can collectively get the job done
Tkachuk brings other elements to his game when he isn't scoring including being the first man into battle. If Matthews isn't scoring he plays a decent defensive game but he brings no jam or kill or be killed attitude like Tkachuk does. If your going to war which of those two do you want by your side?

Barkov is not "soft as butter". Never was.

I know they're gonna transition the captaincy on to Matthews at some point but can't say I agree with it. Doesn't seem like a great fit to me. Doesn't seem like they have many great candidates though.
I mean he did learn the ropes from Marleau.....oh shit.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I agree.
To me Knies plays like someone for his size not just being physical but the attitude of I am bigger than you, I can bully you around and talking trash.... AM is really vanilla.

I just hope they get better players to surround Knies and not turn Knies into another big soft player.
Knies displayed much more leadership qualities than our top guys. He is a keeper. Now if our highly paid mercenaries could just show half of that sort of gumption I think we could go places. Problem as I see it is I think you either got that attitude or you don't and unfortunately and weirdly enough none of our stars have it. 4 players making 11+ and none have a dog with a bone mentality. Sigh

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I suspect the plan for Matthews is that they will move on after his 4 year deal if they haven't won a Cup by then.

This four year timeline was definitely Matthews’ design but I see a possibility where the Leafs are going to see the benefits of ending the partnership then.

If he continues to play like this in the playoffs he’s going to take a lot more reputational damage: 31 years old and a generational choke artist.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
How can Tre and Shanny sleep at night after watching these playoffs knowing that they are paying Matthews and Nylander $24.75m next year? Total f***ing joke. McDavid is one point behind Nylander's 8 year career playoff points in these playoffs. Of course, if you are here to sell jerseys, let's pay Mitch $100m and keep the party going. The Leafs and those that defend this garbage are the laughing stocks of the league.

l don't think Shanahan has difficulty sleeping.

Reactions: 1specter

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews has always been about maximizing his earning potential, even before being drafted by the Leafs. There's a reason why he went over to Switzerland as a 17 year old.

He won't take short term on his next deal, I guarantee it. It'll be a 7-8 year deal taking him to his late 30's.

People give Marner and Nylander crap for being greedy and rightfully so, but I honestly think Matthews is the worst culprit of the bunch. I literally can't think of a star player who went medium term on their 2nd and 3rd contracts.

I’d be curious to compare Matthews current 4 year deal plus whatever next deal he signs vs just taking the 8 years on his $13.25 million AAV.

If he continues to underachieve in the playoffs, I really do question the assumption that his earning potential is going to still be on the up and up at 31…

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Knies displayed much more leadership qualities than our top guys. He is a keeper. Now if our highly paid mercenaries could just show half of that sort of gumption I think we could go places. Problem as I see it is I think you either got that attitude or you don't and unfortunately and weirdly enough none of our stars have it. 4 players making 11+ and none have a dog with a bone mentality. Sigh

Berube’s biggest challenge will be to channel Matthews’ 70 goal pursuit energy into the playoffs. He has that dominant gear but he’s unable to access it when you put disruptors in front of him. And at the end of the day, Danault, Coyle, Geekie, Chariot, Dubois aren’t exactly a murderers row of playoff competition.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

suspects? they're proven failures

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
And their top paid five players all being timid and soft and disappear when the going gets tough was such a ridiculous gamble that was never going to work. How Shanahan and Dubas still have jobs in the league is beyond me.

Think Florida will be able to match Edmontons intensity or is the series over?
It’ll come down to goaltending at this point and it can still go either way.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

I've been saying this for years and it has been met with resistance, excuses, and endless apologies. So far, Auston Matthews, followed by John Tavares have been the biggest problems with the Leafs in terms of "winning anything significant."

Matthews is a regular-season player who lacks the intensity, alpha, heart, and fury to thrive in the playoffs outside of a dominant game "here or there."

In 8 years Matthews has 48 career playoff points and McDavid has 42 this playoff year lmao. But, damn, Auston does a great job maxing out every penny on short contracts.

Maybe some people are finally catching on? For 7 years Matthews has been beyond criticism by most. It's laughable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad