Player Discussion Auston Matthews (Captain Edition)

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Nathan MacKinnon makes less than our glorious leader. Now there's a win-or-die warrior, recent Stanley Cup winner and League MVP.

We have a silly frat boy as captain.
MacKinnon is also a super dynamic player who can skate, deke, score and pass. He can take the puck from his own end and score.

AM will score lots of goals too. But he needs to be set up by Marner or snipe on a PP. When that doesnt happen he typically does nothing, and isnt a playmaker either so he wont contribute that way too.

Both players have similar reguler season avg pts per year. But NM blow past AM in the playoffs. It's a lot harder in the playoffs to cherry pick goals or waiting for shot from the circle on the PP. Thats when AM dries up, but NM can keep trucking. NM's playoff stats are actually better on avg than his own regular season.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
MacKinnon is also a super dynamic player who can skate, deke, score and pass. He can take the puck from his own end and score.

AM will score lots of goals too. But he needs to be set up by Marner or snipe on a PP. When that doesnt happen he typically does nothing, and isnt a playmaker either so he wont contribute that way too.

Both players have similar reguler season avg pts per year. But NM blow past AM in the playoffs. It's a lot harder in the playoffs to cherry pick goals or waiting for shot from the circle on the PP. Thats when AM dries up, but NM can keep trucking. NM's playoff stats are actually better on avg than his own regular season.
Not sure that is true... the current lineup makes it true. When Mitch was out last season, or on another line, forget what was going on, but AM34 was running his own line and it was glorious. He owned the ice. He might not score as many goals without MM, but he is a more complete player imo.

That is why I have always felt each of 34, 16 & 88 need to run their own lines. They are each good enough to do it.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Captaincy and a new coach are definitely concurrent learning curves for AM, but I think he'll pull through. You can see it with a number of our forwards in what looks like difficulty handling/reading their d-zone assignments as if they're learning a new system.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
With the tying goal and then the OT giveaway… Matthews is really taking control of the game.

LFKevin21

Jul 3, 2021
What about the screen by Buchnevich too?
The entire TSN panel said it was Marners fault. With Pounder and Jeff O'neill being former pro hockry players. No mention of Matthews being at fault
Yes, Matthews helped Buchnevich screen the goalie? All Marner did was allow a shot on net from the point, of which St Louis had 26 other shots on net. Luckily Matthews didn't screen all of the other shots. I guess the panel didn't see Matthews screening the goalie.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Should the team have supported Matthews better on that last play? Yes. But I would've still liked it if Matthews took responsibility for that play instead saying something along the lines of "I thought a teammate would be there". Kind of throwing around the blame. Not what you want to see in a captain

Reactions: BallardEra

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Should the team have supported Matthews better on that last play? Yes. But I would've still liked it if Matthews took responsibility for that play instead saying something along the lines of "I thought a teammate would be there". Kind of throwing around the blame. Not what you want to see in a captain
You don’t think he knows?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

As a captain, veteran whatever it would have been better had he just acknowledged the mistake and worn it a little bit, but based on history I don’t think this group is programmed to do a “my bad”.

Reactions: fahad203

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
People who said Matthews 69 goals meant nothing because of playoff result now freaking out not even through October.

Will anyone care about struggling defensive play or him "only" scoring 40 goals or whatever if we make the final 4? I very much doubt it

Reactions: fahad203

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not only did he give the puck away but he stood and watched the shot and only got moving again when he saw the puck come out but by then pasta was in there for the 2nd attempt.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People who said Matthews 69 goals meant nothing because of playoff result now freaking out not even through October.

Will anyone care about struggling defensive play or him "only" scoring 40 goals or whatever if we make the final 4? I very much doubt it

Feels like there's some strange bargaining going on here... playing worse usually isn't a predictor of more success later.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
We don't have enough good players.

Either that or his line is driving him crazy. He needs a new line
Mats used to get it done, no matter the line mates he was good for 80 points.

Hoglund and Reichel? No problem. At least Mats had the semblance of a soul. Matthews is an empty shell that is only filled with money.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We don't have enough good players.

Mats used to get it done, no matter the line mates he was good for 80 points.

Hoglund and Reichel? No problem. At least Mats had the semblance of a soul. Matthews is an empty shell that is only filled with money.

We are far removed from that "less talented" 4x conference finals team. Kinda makes me sick

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Dumb play but it happens time to move on
Look I get that there was miscommunication on the pass and the other Leafs left Matthews unsupported. HOWEVER, the effort on the backcheck was piss poor. He literally let Pasta skate directly at the net unimpeded, he could have at least used his fat ass to cause a slight inconvenience.

This is the type of effort I cannot live with, not from a captain and not from our highest paid player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Look I get that there was miscommunication on the pass and the other Leafs left Matthews unsupported. HOWEVER, the effort on the backcheck was piss poor. He literally let Marchand skate directly at the net unimpeded, he could have at least used his fat ass to cause a slight inconvenience.

This is the type of effort I cannot live with, not from a captain and not from our highest paid player.

Whole sequence was horrawful. Came out to challenge Pastrnak, then lets him go to the net, loses him on the rebound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad