Austin Watson fires a slapshot at Jeremy Lauzon at the end of the game

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
You'd think a guy who wants to score so many goals would have more than 9 shots in 15 games, being 20th on his team in shots.

And he thinks he had a good chance to score with 3 seconds left from his own blue line.

Really curious.
no one said "good". I haven't read anything else in this thread but i'm guessing you think he was attempting to murder someone? You'd think a guy with that kind of aim would find the net more often.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Who did you expect to shoot the puck, given that it was on Watson’s stick at the time? Or are only stars allowed to shoot in the last minute of a game now?

Saying the NHL can’t punish him for this is like saying you can’t call any hit illegal because hitting is legal in the NHL.

Lucky for the rest of us the NHL doesn’t make their decisions using the techniques of bad-faith internet debaters with deficient logic, so nonsensical whataboutisms about imaginary hypothetical situations don’t prevent them from judging this specific act in it’s specific context.

And my point wasn’t to defend imaginary players in imaginary scenarios.

It was to make fun of your absurd claim that a dirtbag with zero offense, and multiple past suspensions/fines, was just innocently trying to get TBL’s season total Goals For up because goals start playing a role in the SIXTH playoff tie-breaker.

The purpose of the NHL punishments is discourage that type of behavior. Watson got fined because he did something extremely reckless for no good reason. Players in the future should avoid doing what he did.

I can’t help the fact that Watson being held responsible for his actions is a bad thing to you.

Reactions: Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
no one said "good". I haven't read anything else in this thread but i'm guessing you think he was attempting to murder someone? You'd think a guy with that kind of aim would find the net more often.
Nah he was pissy and needlessly clapped a puck that hurt someone when he had zero to gain.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Nah he was pissy and needlessly clapped a puck that hurt someone when he had zero to gain.
could be. just try not to assign ill intent where it's a 50/50 thing. If that was Hartman (from my team) taking the shot i'd lean toward a pissy agro motivation but i'm more unfamiliar here so I guess i'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
could be. just try not to assign ill intent where it's a 50/50 thing. If that was Hartman (from my team) taking the shot i'd lean toward a pissy agro motivation but i'm more unfamiliar here so I guess i'm giving the benefit of the doubt.
lol This bozo lost his benefit of the doubt a long time ago

1702079551370.png

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Saying the NHL can’t punish him for this is like saying you can’t call any hit illegal because hitting is legal in the NHL.

Your logic is flawed. There are legal hits and illegal hits in the NHL rulebook; there is no such thing as an illegal shot when the puck is in play.

Lucky for the rest of us the NHL doesn’t make their decisions using the techniques of bad-faith internet debaters with deficient logic, so nonsensical whataboutisms about imaginary hypothetical situations don’t prevent them from judging this specific act in it’s specific context.

Ad hominem attacks: the sign of a mental midget incapable of intelligent debate with adults. Clearly you are unworthy of my time. Goodbye!

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Your logic is flawed. There are legal hits and illegal hits in the NHL rulebook; there is no such thing as an illegal shot when the puck is in play.

Ad hominem attacks: the sign of a mental midget incapable of intelligent debate with adults. Clearly you are unworthy of my time. Goodbye!
Is this statement hypocritical? or do I need to learn some more Latin

I got really hopefully for this thread thinking maybe a compliance buyout was being talked about in the offseason! Nope :(

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The worst thing about these threads are the people who show up doing the Bobby Heenan "Janetty threw himself through the barber shop window" style heel routine. There is absolutely no reasonable defense for what this guy did and he deserves to have the boom thrown at him.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The worst thing about these threads are the people who show up doing the Bobby Heenan "Janetty threw himself through the barber shop window" style heel routine. There is absolutely no reasonable defense for what this guy did and he deserves to have the boom thrown at him.
He took a slapshot at the net instead of sulking around for the last seconds of a game. There's no way it was on purpose.

This wasn't Alfredsson in 2007

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

No reasonable defense? He took a shot while the game was still being played. Nothing he did was remotely unreasonable or against the rules of hockey - to the contrary NHL rules encourage it as I’ve already proven. The fact that he was fined for playing the game within the rules is a travesty.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
No reasonable defense? He took a shot while the game was still being played. Nothing he did was remotely unreasonable or against the rules of hockey - to the contrary NHL rules encourage it as I’ve already proven. The fact that he was fined for playing the game within the rules is a travesty.
Tampa fan?

Reactions: AvroArrow

bov

Nov 13, 2010
It's astonishing that anyone would try to justify what Watson did. Really shows there's a mental gap in their grasp of the game.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is awful on a human level. On a rules level I don't think any penalty could be justified without making a huge slippery slope issue.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I genuinely think he was trying to score. We all know the goals count for more the further you are from the opposition net. I believe he was shooting from the "counts as four goal range".

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Surprised there wasn't a thread made about this already, just saw it on the morning highlights. I don't know the exact rules on this, but is this suspension worthy ? There should be some sort of disciplinary action for that. That's about as dirty as it gets. Literally 1 second left, it's a 5-1 game and you fire a slapshot straight at your opponent ? Lauzon limped off, hopefully it's not a serious injury. Not sure what Watson is even thinking there, frustration ?

Keep your head up. This is the National League

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You haven’t “proven” a single thing and the rules don’t encourage someone to fire a puck at them after the game is over.

IMG_0459.jpeg

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I saw this somewhere. Can't remember if it was X, of Facebook, but it said it caused a massive brawl.

The brawl was a hug fest and that was clearly written by someone who's 20 if they think that's a massive brawl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad