Auspicious 1st games for players with new NHL clubs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I remember Steve Bernier was picked up by the Sabres during the 2008 TDL. The next day he played in a home game against Nashville and immediately scored the first 2 goals of the game, walloped Tootoo in an open-ice hit that led to a couple of fights, and assisted on another goal later. I thought we had found this power forward diamond-in-the rough.

We had not.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I remember Steve Bernier was picked up by the Sabres during the 2008 TDL. The next day he played in a home game against Nashville and immediately scored the first 2 goals of the game, walloped Tootoo in an open-ice hit that led to a couple of fights, and assisted on another goal later. I thought we had found this power forward diamond-in-the rough.

We had not.

I still remember Rick Jeanneret’s call from that game. “Welcome to Buffalo Steve Bernier!”

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Totally forgot about Brad Richards' five-assist debut with DAL in 2008.

A little while later, Fabian Brunnstrom had a hattrick (plus a disallowed goal) in his first NHL game. The game was with DAL and that was his first NHL team, so he wasn't fresh off a trade. He received mad hype before his NHL debut. Briefly, it looked like he might live up to it. But it was downhill after that first game.

Clark scored the game-winner in 3-0 win over DAL in his return to TOR:

Obviously that made for a good story.

Unfortunately, in Gilmour's return to TOR, he got hurt about five minutes in and never played again...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Mark Messier was on ice for all three goals and scored one as the Canucks beat the Mighty Ducks in the 1997 season opener in Tokyo:

Reactions: Soundgarden

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I think iJoe Colborne scored a hatrick in his first game as an Avs player (signed, not a trade). Then finished the entire season with like 5 goals or something.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Bure with the Rangers

20 goals 12 games after being acquired at the deadline

John Ogrodnick had a helluva fresh start with the nordiquescafter being acquired at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad