Boston Bruins 2024 Rookie Camp and Prospects Challenge Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

BUFFALO — The career path that delivered Drew Bavaro here at noon on Friday, to play in his first rookie game as a Bruin, began a decade earlier when he checked into Cardigan Mountain School in Canaan, N.H., his hockey destination unknown.

“Yeah, left home in Florida when I was 13½ or 14,” Bavaro mused, shortly after he and his fellow Boston hopefuls suffered a 6-3 loss to the Penguins in the Prospects Challenge opener. “And here we are . . . kind of exciting to find out the challenge of the next level.”

Bavaro, 24, is a 6-foot-2-inch right-shot defenseman, whose circuitous path to signing a contract with the Bruins did not include getting drafted at age 18 and initially did not include playing for a high-end college or junior program. In a sport that appreciates pedigree, which top prospects begin to acquire sometimes in their pre-teens, he was the kid who showed up at Cardigan, let’s say, unencumbered by great expectations.

“I’ve always been a step behind in getting recognized,” said Bavaro, noting the “tough path” he’s followed thus far to fulfilling his dream. “I was fine with that. I think I wore that on my shoulder [as motivation] in every way. For me, it’s kind of been having to prove it every level.”

“I’ll always be grateful for Bentley giving me that opportunity,” he said. “I’ve always felt the best way to get better is to play, and they let me play a lot there. It made it hard to leave, the team and the guys, but I was convinced it was the right decision.”

The next stop was South Bend, a two-year stay at Notre Dame, where Bavaro put up a 10-10–20 line with the Irish last season. Intrigued by his development curve, the Bruins in the spring signed him to a one-year deal that ostensibly started here with the rookie tournament. He is guaranteed a minimum of $175,000, more than half of that in signing bonus, and will have the chance to see how his game measures up against the league’s best when the Bruins open their varsity camp Wednesday in Brighton.

Bavaro participated in the club’s July development camp on Guest Street and remained in town to work out. He lived for a while at Riley Duran’s family home in Woburn (the two briefly were Lawrence Academy teammates) and then moved in with some college and high school buddies in a downtown apartment. More important, as summer played out, he worked out regularly alongside a number of Bruins veterans.

“It was a huge advantage to be there all summer,” said Bavaro. “I was around guys like [Brad] Marchand, [Brandon] Carlo, and [Charlie] McAvoy. And that helps give a little bit of a relaxing step when you go out on the ice everyday with those guys. So when it really begins to ramp up, you don’t feel as much discomfort as I did the few times in the summer. Obviously, though, it’s going to be a big step up — those guys are the best players in the world, so I’m excited to see where I’m at.”

“[Bavaro’s] got a little bit of maturity in his game that has to grow,” said Providence coach Ryan Mougenel, who is serving as bench boss here. “But he’s a smart kid, and the more accustomed he gets to how we play, he’s going to be alright.

“His skill set is really good. He’s got a great shot and a good offensive mind — he’lll have to work through some hiccups, but there’s some good things there for sure.”

Bavaro is the one guy I had never heard of who stood out to me at Development Camp. His size, skating and playing style remind me a bit of Johnny Boychuk.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's a nice story and a solid player...but he is also 24 years old.

He is 5 months older than Kevan Miller was when he signed with Boston.

Is he a long shot to get a chance in the league? Yes, absolutely. But he is also a RH defenseman with NHL size and some tools. If anyone has a chance to make it as a late bloomer it s a RH defenseman

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bavaro is the one guy I had never heard of who stood out to me at Development Camp. His size, skating and playing style remind me a bit of Johnny Boychuk.
He was with Duran golfing at Turner Hills in Ipswich and my friend who’s a member (we grew up with and went to school with Mark Bavaro so we knew) but Bavaro who went to Notre Dame ironically like Mark, said he gets asked if related (father) to the former Giants tight end from Danvers.

Looking forward to watching him in Providence

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
He is 5 months older than Kevan Miller was when he signed with Boston.

Is he a long shot to get a chance in the league? Yes, absolutely. But he is also a RH defenseman with NHL size and some tools. If anyone has a chance to make it as a late bloomer it s a RH defenseman

That is all true - but standing out in DEV camp is very different than standing out in the pro camp. Of course, I hope he can make the leap like Miller did. I love stuff like that and BOS seems to find players like that every few years. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
That is all true - but standing out in DEV camp is very different than standing out in the pro camp. Of course, I hope he can make the leap like Miller did. I love stuff like that and BOS seems to find players like that every few years. Fingers crossed.
He won’t be making the nhl out of camp. I’m 100% certain the defence is already chosen for the season. I think this is the most complete I’ve ever seen the bruins defence.

His best case scenario is a call up.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Miller took 2 full seasons, and still spend part of a 3rd in Providence before joining Boston.

I would look at a similar timeline for Bavaro.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We’re on to training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad