AUS Awards are out

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
So Lacosta went 15-1 with the AUS best GAA (1.92) and the number 2 save % (0.917) and yet isn't able to be on either First or Second Team all-stars. I understand that he is 'underrated' since he plays on a very good team, but UNB's defence isn't nearly as good as it has been in years past and Lacosta has had to be great for UNB to win quite a few games this year......What did his stats need to be for him to be a league all-star?

No respect. Jeesh he had a 5 period shut-out Saturday night against number 2 team in AUS and can't even crack the top 3 stars.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Big Bad Jon, I couldn't agree more with you. Travis Fullerton was ignored the very same way in several previous seasons. Some selections some years make little sense unfortunately! Dan LaCosta received the shaft from voters this year!

Voters often seem to completely ignore Plus / Minus stats which indicates 5 on 5 play as opposed to players who rack up most of their point totals on the power play alone. They also don't seem to look at pt per game average which hurts a player that misses 2 or 3 games because of illness or injury.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The voters are ... the AUS men's hockey coaches. And they can't vote for any of their own guys for any of the awards.

There are always rumours that some of the coaches trade votes (you vote for my d-man and I'll vote for your forward) but nothing has ever been proven.

:)

I'm pretty sure most of them ignore +/-, and they do seem to have it in for UNB goalies. I've heard "anyone could play behind that UNB defence" and "they never get any shots" as excuses before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad