Golf: 124th U.S Open - Pinehurst No.2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
British Open will be revenge of Scheffler locking down best non Tiger season of the modern era.

Then Mcilroy will win at Masters like 2019 Tiger moment.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Bryson very lucky to win this. The 18th was a microcosm of his 4 rounds. Drives into trouble, ends up with a OK shot , makes a great recovery and walks away with a par. How many time did he hit it into natural veg and walk away with a birdie or par? Probably a dozen times.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Unbelievable Rory..you had it

Had to watch back 9 on restaurant tv with no audio but it was still intense

Great tournament

Reactions: DaveG

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
British Open will be revenge of Scheffler locking down best non Tiger season of the modern era.

Then Mcilroy will win at Masters like 2019 Tiger moment.

Links courses might be least favorable to Scottie but that is not saying much. Just think Morikawa/many others are more dangerous there than the others. I think Clark is a guy who can be dangerous at the Open and maybe Bryson too over time as anyone who has a good iron/green game can get away with missing fairways more

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Bryson very lucky to win this. The 18th was a microcosm of his 4 rounds. Drives into trouble, ends up with a OK shot , makes a great recovery and walks away with a par. How many time did he hit it into natural veg and walk away with a birdie or par? Probably a dozen times.

Led the field in strokes gained off the tee Round 1, was 3rd in Round 3. He missed some fairways but he also gave himself plenty of incredible opportunities that no other player can get besides maybe Rory.

Can't say he was lucky other than Rory handing it to him, he hit many amazing shots and made world class up and downs (18 and 8 really stick out).

:o

I wouldn't be surprised if he went over to LIV.

I'd be more surprised at a merger. LIV doesn't even want to work with world golf rankings.

@Filthy Dangles

Edited the above post just after your like lol

Damn. After your edit and the bolded, I had to adjust my reaction given.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
The crazy part is after everything I still think 3 or 4 majors was the right number of Mcilroy for what his game is. He still has twice as many as DJ who is arguably his equal in talent and has more weeks at #1. He has twice as many as Greg Norman who's number of weeks at #1 was like a Federer/Nadal/Djokovic number, and has one more than Vijay who once had a year with 9 wins in a tour with Tiger, Els and Mickelson (Tiger off year but awesome versions of the other two). Just a weird arc to get to those 4 majors that makes it feel worse.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The crazy part is after everything I still think 3 or 4 majors was the right number of Mcilroy for what his game is. He still has twice as many as DJ who is arguably his equal in talent and has more weeks at #1. He has twice as many as Greg Norman who's number of weeks at #1 was like a Federer/Nadal/Djokovic number, and has one more than Vijay who once had a year with 9 wins in a tour with Tiger, Els and Mickelson (Tiger off year but awesome versions of the other two). Just a weird arc to get to those 4 majors that makes it feel worse.

By Winning%, McIlroy is better than all the bolded by a solid margin.

He should have more majors no doubt, and most likely will.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Oh man that was some high drama

Those putt misses from Rory so costly

That sand shot from DeChambeau on 18 money.

Ugh, was hoping for Rory but Bryson seems to have cleaned up his perception

Koepka hasn't performed horribly since his move over either. Mickelson is just getting old. Cameron Smith was in the mix.

That post said 2024 majors. Koepka hasn’t been competitive in any of them.

Anyway, that was gutting to watch. As a Rory fan, that was as painful as watching my Niners lose the SB.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
By Winning%, McIlroy is better than all the bolded by a solid margin.

He should have more majors no doubt, and most likely will.

Not sure how that's measured, but Mcilroy both got to blazing start in his career and hasn't had the old years yet.

What exactly makes him more talented than DJ? They both look best off the tee and gave up majors on the putting green. If anything, I kind of think there was more flashes of greatness in DJ's shorter game. Mcilroy to his credit does have more wins than him, I think it's like 31 to 27 at the non majors and 4-2 at majors, despite being 5 years younger. He hasn't spent any more time than him at #1 though which is reflective that Mcilroy unlike Norman wasn't the clear #1 of this generation year after year while choking majors, especially during his major drought, he only has 27 weeks at #1 since 2015, and went 5 years without going to #1 from 2015 to 2020. He spent a lot of time sitting at 2 or 3 in the world while someone else was the hottest player in the world at the point like Scheffler is now, like Rahm, DJ, Day, Spieth, Koepka, Thomas, etc. at different times.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Not sure how that's measured, but Mcilroy both got to blazing start in his career and hasn't had the old years yet.

What exactly makes him more talented than DJ? They both look best off the tee and gave up majors on the putting green. If anything, I kind of think there was more flashes of greatness in DJ's shorter game. Mcilroy to his credit does have more wins than him, I think it's like 31 to 27 at the non majors and 4-2 at majors, despite being 5 years younger. He hasn't spent any more time than him at #1 though which is reflective that Mcilroy unlike Norman wasn't the clear #1 of this generation year after year while choking majors, especially during his major drought, he only has 27 weeks at #1 since 2015, and went 5 years without going to #1 from 2015 to 2020. He spent a lot of time sitting at 2 or 3 in the world while someone else was the hottest player in the world at the point like Scheffler is now, like Rahm, DJ, Day, Spieth, Koepka, Thomas, etc. at different times.

Simply more consistent

When you look at wins, rate at which they've won, Topwhatever finishes in majors, there's really no argument for DJ.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Mickelson is one of the greatest golfers of all time and was never #1 in the world. Consistency in golf is very rare and Rory, despite not winning majors since 2014, has consistently been one of the best golfers in the world the last 12 years. Whereas most of those other guys you listed (Scheffler and Rahm still pending) including DJ came and went during that time.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That was heartbreaking as a Rory fan. Just a complete choke job. So hard to watch.

He was so good for 14 holes too. Got f***ed by a bad bounce on 5 and didn't let it deter him, played and putted amazingly. Then hits the wrong club on one hole and misses two shorties.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Bogey'd 3 of the last 4 holes.
Tough way to lose.

I was hoping Cantlay (or even Finau) would find a way to get a few more birdies and pull it off. Always hoping for a first time winner in the majors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad