OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
When I was in Maine I sent father in law pics of my bass....no response...ok sometimes he acts jealous.
Sent him the coyote pic....no response.
Asked my aunt, when did you last talk to Jim? Last Thursday
This isn't good
Asked wife when did you last talk to your dad....been awhile....call him...left message, nothing
Next day.... phone right to voicemail

Ok so I'm thinking this is bad or he lost his phone....
Call your sister... haven't heard anything....

Sister in law calls cops...
Well it looks like he has been on his couch a week...they said he had a BP cuff on,so must have started feeling bad.

Cops called coroner....well it sounds natural so we can't pick him up.... WTF he's been on the couch a week.
Sister in law goes off on coroner, says ok we will pick him up but you have 2 days to deal with this.

She is in VA, us NY, happened in NJ. Going tomorrow to figure out what the hell to do

Wow, so sorry man.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
When I was in Maine I sent father in law pics of my bass....no response...ok sometimes he acts jealous.
This isn't good
Asked wife when did you last talk to your dad....been awhile....call him...left message, nothing

Well it looks like he has been on his couch a week...they said he had a BP cuff on,so must have started feeling bad.

Cops called coroner....well it sounds natural so we can't pick him up.... WTF he's been on the couch a week.
Sister in law goes off on coroner, says ok we will pick him up but you have 2 days to deal with this.

She is in VA, us NY, happened in NJ. Going tomorrow to figure out what the hell to do
How awful. I'm so sorry to hear the news.

My mom lives alone, this is a recurring fear of mine. She fell last September and broke her hip. And waited 6 hours before she called any of us because she didn't want to be a bother.

Best of luck over the next few days.

Reactions: caz16 and Ladyfan

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Damn I'm sorry. Was going to be around a little tomorrow but I'm not close to there, was going to see if you needed anything done. Condolences
Appreciate that.... tomorrow we are trying to dig through files, getting rid of couch and bed and taking inventory of what needs to be done and taken care of

How awful. I'm so sorry to hear the news.

My mom lives alone, this is a recurring fear of mine. She fell last September and broke her hip. And waited 6 hours before she called any of us because she didn't want to be a bother.

Best of luck over the next few days.
Thanks.... highly recommend life alert....only problem we had with it was my mom forgetting to put it on , happened twice.... once she did have it on and rolled off couch and got stuck between it and coffee table so she used it then

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Those with daughters:

Just hit age 12 this summer. When will she be nice to me again lol
Mine were a bit older. Around Freshman or Sophomore year they each thought we were useless. Fortunately social media in middle school wasn't a thing back then. Younger daughter had it worse when her sister went to college. She and the missus were always at each other's throats.

When they each got to college they realized that we weren't so bad. And realized how much they depended on their mother. All has been good since then.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
@TD Charlie as someone who was a preteen/teen girl, a lot of that depends on her friends. If her friends are close with/like/tolerant of their parents, you'll have a much easier time. If her friends think parents are a drag then you, too, shall be a drag.

Middle school was the worst for my relationship with my mom, because being in middle school and that age is pure hell. Things turned around significantly when I went to high school and we were super close (no real relationship with my dad so can't speak to that)
Out of curiosity why is it pure hell?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Out of curiosity why is it pure hell?
I can’t speak for K08, but from what I’ve seen of middle schoolers the last couple years is ugly. There is very little respect or support even between friends. Everybody exists only to shit on their peers. The way to get ahead socially is just to make everyone else feel lower than you. They are openly vaping apparently. Skibbidy toilet fortnight Ohio sigma rizz

In short. They are little shits.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can’t speak for K08, but from what I’ve seen of middle schoolers the last couple years is ugly. There is very little respect or support even between friends. Everybody exists only to shit on their peers. The way to get ahead socially is just to make everyone else feel lower than you. They are openly vaping apparently. Skibbidy toilet fortnight Ohio sigma rizz

In short. They are little shits.
I can't imagine growing up these days with smartphones and social media. Seems like a recipe for complete disaster.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I can't imagine growing up these days with smartphones and social media. Seems like a recipe for complete disaster.
I'm very thankful to have grown up in the 70s and 80s.

Imagine having your entire childhood shared on mommy's Facebook or TikTok for the world to see. Forever.

"Little Timmy had his first poop in the toilet today!!!"

Eeeuuurrrrgghhh

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Watched a 10 minute long video with a pilot and his opinion was the plane iced up.

He goes kind of in depth about it at the 5:00 mark.

Didn’t watch the video, but that was my first thought as well. It definitely was a stall, and unless the pilot was completely incompetent, he wouldn’t have stalled it in normal flight. We’ll find out soon enough once they have a chance to review the flight data, but when I saw the crash footage and heard that icing conditions were present, that made a heck of a lot of sense….

Even if there was icing, that aircraft has de-icing systems that should have allowed them to overcome it without much issue if they were working and were used correctly.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
That was my first thought as well. It definitely was a stall, and unless the pilot was completely incompetent, he wouldn’t have stalled it in normal flight. We’ll find out soon enough once they have a chance to review the flight data, but when I saw the video, and heard that icing conditions were present, that made a heck of a lot of sense….

Even if there was icing, that aircraft has de-icing systems that should have allowed them to overcome it without much issue if they were working and were used correctly.
I was hoping you'd post your opinion because well yeah if anyone on here would know it'd be you. It made some sense to me just from the few years I've messed around on flight simulator like I kinda knew what the guy in the video was talking about but obviously nowhere close to the real thing.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I was hoping you'd post your opinion because well yeah if anyone on here would know it'd be you. It made some sense to me just from the few years I've messed around on flight simulator like I kinda knew what the guy in the video was talking about but obviously nowhere close to the real thing.
Icing can do 2 things to an aircraft.

1. It can affect the flight surfaces and degrade performance. Ice usually builds on the leading edges of the flight surfaces. When it does, it changes the wing camber and deteriorates lift. If you lose lift on the wing, you need to add power to the aircraft to maintain lift. But that also can accelerate icing buildup if you don’t get out of icing conditions.

2. Icing can also screw up your instrumentation and give you erroneous airspeed indications, if your pitot-static system (the gear that tells you how fast you’re going and how high you are flying) ices up. Their airspeed indicator might have been showing them flying at a faster speed than they actually were, which could have also contributed to a stall, especially if they were on autopilot.

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Icing can do 2 things to an aircraft.

1. It can affect the flight surfaces and degrade performance. Ice usually builds on the leading edges of the flight surfaces. When it does, it changes the wing camber and deteriorates lift. If you lose lift on the wing, you need to add power to the aircraft to maintain lift. But that also can accelerate icing buildup if you don’t get out of icing conditions.

2. Icing can also screw up your instrumentation and give you erroneous airspeed indications, if your pitot-static system (the gear that tells you how fast you’re going and how high you are flying) freezes up. Their airspeed indicator might have been showing them flying at a faster speed than they actually were, which could have also caused a stall, especially if they were on autopilot.
Maybe they should bury a few plane wings under the Garden's ice.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Oh absolutely.

When I graduated high school in 2008, the only apps that was used was youtube, facebook and twitter, which the latter wasn't *that* popular.

I cannot imagine being a teenager with the tiktok, snapchat, etc the bullying the exists on these apps nowadays scares me.

No way would I be able to concentrate. Heck, I still remember free nights and weekends on my cell phone and don't call until after 9 on the weekends. Never using the internet because it costs money and getting a certain amount of minutes on my phone to use every month. I got a cell phone the summer before my freshman year of highschool because I played sports and needed to contact my parents for offseason workouts and then traveling during the school year. No gimmicks. Nada.

This generation missed out on being outside all day. Not having their faces glued to a phone or computer. I feel a lot of empathy for them.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
This isn't good

Oh how awful. Sorry for your loss.:heart:

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Took Hattie for a walk this morning. Clear skies, 65 degrees, cool breeze, no nasty humidity.

It was glorious!!!

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Tonights the night I been waiting for and its needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TD Charlie

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
I graduated high school in 1995 and the worst thing we had were “slam books” in which your name would be listed and people could write what they wanted about you. I am eternally grateful that social media wasn’t a thing in my youth.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Tonights the night I been waiting for and its needed.
Went to a couple NXT house shows years ago. Very small barns but it makes for hot crowds, and you know the wrestling will be good. I forget the matches I’ve seen but i know one of them was supposed to be Biff Busick v Andrade, and we only knew that because Biff texted a friend of mine before the show.

It was Biff v f***ing mojo rawley lol. And Biff did the job! I was heated. It was kinda funny though.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad