Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
1. Florida
2. Toronto
3. Detroit
4. Boston (WC)
5. Ottawa (WC)
6. Tampa Bay
7. Buffalo
8. Montreal

Last edited:

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Nah,
That honour is shared between Buffalo and Toronto. Summer is those two fan bases favourite time of the season before they realize it's the same old/same old and the light fades from their eyes.
Toss in a. Heavy dose of 'this is the year The Bruins fall apart', and ´Tampa cheats',
Pretty much describes every off season Atlantic thread for the past dozen years.
This was true for Buffalo maybe 3-4 years ago. Sabres fan are much more pessimistic now. Wings/Sens fans took our spot of "this is the year"

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It has to be the Leafs year. I mean....needless to say most of us in here has seen Mozart dropping a single before we see the Leafs win a Cup so at one point....

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This was true for Buffalo maybe 3-4 years ago. Sabres fan are much more pessimistic now. Wings/Sens fans took our spot of "this is the year"
ya, you're right.
I shouldn't throw Sabres fans into the fire (we all want your team to do better) as it was mostly pundits and neutral fans and those that swear by 'the draft' - but a decade of people clamouring for the assension of The Sabres and demise of The Bruins has it stuck in my head. It was clockwork for a good decade. The craziest two teams to read prognostications about in the summer for a long time.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I don’t think so. They would be missing their biggest piece, but I think the improvements in goals against would carry them through the missing Matthews goals pretty well.

The team is more balanced this year, and Matthews brings a lot more than goals, but I think the defense is the best it’s looked in …. 20 years? God how sad is that? And the goaltending is going to be twice as good as it was the last 3 years with Samsonov in net.

Of course, that’s just on paper and anything can happen once they all hit the ice.

I think the Leafs have to be the odds on favorites to win the Atlantic, even if Matthews misses a week or two to start the season.

They are the only team who didn’t lose any pieces and got better at all the positions they struggled with last year.

The big dogs in the Atlantic have all taken major hits, except the Maple Leafs. The Maple Leafs are the only team who got better compared to Florida, Boston and tampa

The Leafs got better? They added a backup goalie and a 35 year old #4 to play as a #2.

OEL, Hakanpaa and Pacioretty suck.

Tavares is another year older and slower.

And Nylander is playing C now?

I don’t understand how anyone looks at their team and thinks it’s better than Florida, Boston or Tampa.

Reactions: Score08

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The Leafs got better? They added a backup goalie and a 35 year old #4 to play as a #2.

OEL, Hakanpaa and Pacioretty suck.

Tavares is another year older and slower.

And Nylander is playing C now?

I don’t understand how anyone looks at their team and thinks it’s better than Florida, Boston or Tampa.

You will lol

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
You will lol

The Leafs operated like a team desperate to keep a window that has already closed open this summer.

Not winning during your window doesn’t extend it, and they’ve had 8 years. Win or lose, it closes at the same time.

Bringing in 35 year olds with big names, hiring a tough guy coach to “change the culture”… we’ve seen this before. It never works.

If you look at their regular season point totals, they’ve been steadily declining for 3 years now. I bet that continues.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The Leafs operated like a team desperate to keep a window that has already closed open this summer.

Not winning during your window doesn’t extend it, and they’ve had 8 years. Win or lose, it closes at the same time.

Bringing in 35 year olds with big names, hiring a tough guy coach to “change the culture”… we’ve seen this before. It never works.

If you look at their regular season point totals, they’ve been steadily declining for 3 years now. I bet that continues.

How many other teams haven’t won in the last 8 years?

Don’t be ridiculous

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
How many other teams haven’t won in the last 8 years?

Don’t be ridiculous

Lots. But there’s always a natural changing of the guard in the league. The top teams of the last 8 years won’t be the top teams of the next 8 years. The Detroit Red Wings of the 90s and early 00s are not the norm.

115, 111, 102. Those are their point totals from the last 3 years. That’s a big drop already and I don’t think it’s stopping.

They only got older.

They’re a 96-100 point team. Probably get a wildcard spot, but not a contender to worry about.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think Toronto is one team that is sneaky old and slow. Look at their D, and upfront they want to add Patches while also still having the declining JT. The top 3 guys upfront are not old, but they have never been fast skaters. It really shows in the ploffs.

I don't know why they won't give Robertson a chance. Isn't Patches literally going to take Robertson 's spot?

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Lots. But there’s always a natural changing of the guard in the league. The top teams of the last 8 years won’t be the top teams of the next 8 years. The Detroit Red Wings of the 90s and early 00s are not the norm.

115, 111, 102. Those are their point totals from the last 3 years. That’s a big drop already and I don’t think it’s stopping.

They only got older.

They’re a 96-100 point team. Probably get a wildcard spot, but not a contender to worry about.
Truth.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't know why they won't give Robertson a chance. Isn't Patches literally going to take Robertson 's spot?

If they trade or move down Jarnkrok to the 4th line they can both play in the top 9. They have to trade someone for cap reasons. Kampf, Timmons other potential trade options if they don’t deal Nick (which I hope they don’t).

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022

They only got older.

They're not old. Their core pieces are still in their prime. Just another delusional Sens fan

Reactions: leafsfan5

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Tough division to call for me

I think Leafs will get 100 points or more again and are a very safe playoff bet. Nice roster!
The B's are just perenially good and always rise up.
Panthers are defending champs and have a beautiful team
I think Bolts are regressing after a tremendous run
Sabres always has a roster that screams cup contender, they seem to be scoring 8 a night in preseason and everything looks fantastic... till it isn't
I don't like the Detroit rebuild at all and think there are a whole bunch of clunky, veteran place fillers but they may have enough to make the playoffs if things go well
Sens - I love the look of the team and did last season... reminds me of Buffalo... everything is great till it isn't
Habs are rebuilding but do have some great pieces

Basically, I don't think any of them suck and they could all make playoffs. I'd actually say (after looking at Pacific before this) that this is a very tough dvision to be in. Murderer's row!

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
ya, you're right.
I shouldn't throw Sabres fans into the fire (we all want your team to do better) as it was mostly pundits and neutral fans and those that swear by 'the draft' - but a decade of people clamouring for the assension of The Sabres and demise of The Bruins has it stuck in my head. It was clockwork for a good decade. The craziest two teams to read prognostications about in the summer for a long time.

Tor
Fla
Buf
Bos
TB
Det
Ott
Mtl

Everyone is underestimating the Sabres this year Calling 100 point season

The shift in the conversation around the Sabres this year is interesting and I guess kinda predictable.

The vast majority of posts I see have little to do with the roster and everything to do with a "they're not going to fool me this year" response.

To my way of thinking, the 'young team should get better' argument of last year still applies, it just gets tangled up in the fact that it didn't last year.

And it's really hard to separate what was year 3 of the Kevyn Adams total rebuild from a last-place team, from the failed builds of Jason Botterill and Tim Murray that came before.

I think the best way of looking at the Sabres chances is this:

How many of Thompson, Tuch, Peterka, Benson, Cozens, Quinn, Dahlin, Power, Byram, Samuelsson, Luukkonen and Levi will be better than they were last year?

If it's a lot of them, they will be in the playoff mix, if not they won't.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I’m not going to say it’s “our year” or anything, but people here are really sleeping on the Sabres. There is no way they finish last place in the division, and I really doubt they finish second last either. But those are the two most common spots I’m seeing them ranked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad