Dreger: Atkinson isn’t keen on a move to the Sharks

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
How washed is he? He’s 35, scored 13 goals, is tiny and was stapled to the Flyers 4th line by the end of the season.

Just another guy Torts hates or deservedly barely hanging on as an NHLer by this past spring while due another cool $5.875 million this year?

Hard to see “keeping him in the mix” as a legit option. Also, unfortunately for him, hard to see a lot of teams outside bottom feeders like the Sharks looking to trade for a 5-8 winger in his mid-30’s even at 50% retained…that’s still nearly $3 million of cap hit.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Back to Columbus in a Laine trade perhaps? Montreal for one of their bad contracts? Maybe Pittsburgh.. he seems like a Dubas player.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How washed is he? He’s 35, scored 13 goals, is tiny and was stapled to the Flyers 4th line by the end of the season.

Just another guy Torts hates or deservedly barely hanging on as an NHLer by this past spring while due another cool $5.875 million this year?

Hard to see “keeping him in the mix” as a legit option. Also, unfortunately for him, hard to see a lot of teams outside bottom feeders like the Sharks looking to trade for a 5-8 winger in his mid-30’s even at 50% retained…that’s still nearly $3 million of cap hit.

Tortorella loves him like one of his own children, kept putting him in situations he had no business being in until it became utterly untenable to do so.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Like Ponder said, this isn’t a Torts special. It’s the opposite.

He can still PK well. That’s it. He’s a husk of a husk at 5v5.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Back to Columbus in a Laine trade perhaps? Montreal for one of their bad contracts? Maybe Pittsburgh.. he seems like a Dubas player.
In what way?

Atkinson is diametrically opposite to what Dubas says he wants. Now if Philly wants to talk Morgan Frost in addition to Atkinson and Philly takes Rakell and one of Eller and Acciari, I would be willing to have the conversation.

• Wow
Reactions: SnS

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In what way?

Atkinson is diametrically opposite to what Dubas says he wants. Now if Philly wants to talk Morgan Frost in addition to Atkinson and Philly takes Rakell and one of Eller and Acciari, I would be willing to have the conversation.

I'm sure you would, but under no circumstances does that make any sense for the Flyers. We're ostensibly looking to move Atkinson to free up cap space, not to lock up $5M more cap for damn near the rest of the decade.

Now, Atkinson retained down to $4.45M for Eller and Acciari, I could see the Flyers doing. Cap neutral this year for both teams, a $2M savings next year for Pittsburgh, Atkinson and Eller expire at the end of the season, the Flyers carry Acciari for one more year. That may not be interesting for Pittsburgh, but none of these players are particularly exciting.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I get it but if he went there, he’d actually get to play every game and get some power play minutes while living in a place with great weather and zero pressure. It would certainly be a much more favorable situation for him but I get these guys have families.

If I were him, I’d take the chance to go and actually play out the last year of a massive overpayment and try showcase myself to turn it into another 1 year deal for a bit of money. It beats getting bought out and then maybe he can sign with a contender and try to win or retire.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No big loss if he doesn’t waive… unless the Flyers want to send a juicy pick with him.
I get SJ's logic of trying to trade for Vets (if the cost is a mid round pick and they only have 1-2 years left) vs just try to sign them in free agency. SJ is a bad team and likely to be bad for another couple of seasons as they continue their rebuild. They were not rebuilding when they missed the PO back in 2020, 2021, and 2022, so it's still going to take time for them to get back on track.

So, handing out 4/5 year term like Ana did for a Killorn probably not something they want to do. As they do want to surround Smith/Celebrini/Eklund with some quality veterans. But, good luck getting guys to waive a NTC to a bad team.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Like Ponder said, this isn’t a Torts special. It’s the opposite.

He can still PK well. That’s it. He’s a husk of a husk at 5v5.
Yeah I was just looking at his game logs.

His 13 goals and 28 points in 70 games with a -22 isn't great to begin with...

But in his last 23 games of the season, this was Cam Atkinson:

23 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 Pts, -9

That's a crazy. That's like Jansen Harkins-level bad.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm sure you would, but under no circumstances does that make any sense for the Flyers. We're ostensibly looking to move Atkinson to free up cap space, not to lock up $5M more cap for damn near the rest of the decade.

Now, Atkinson retained down to $4.45M for Eller and Acciari, I could see the Flyers doing. Cap neutral this year for both teams, a $2M savings next year for Pittsburgh, Atkinson and Eller expire at the end of the season, the Flyers carry Acciari for one more year. That may not be interesting for Pittsburgh, but none of these players are particularly exciting.
I would be hesitant to do that but I would probably do that. And you're right, these are unexciting players in a "my crap for your crap move".

You guys are heavy up front and light on the back end. Would something like POJ+Ponomarov for Frost+Atkinson be more in line? I think Frost is the kind of player that the Penguins are missing. POJ is a RFA but our top 4 is relatively set. We are missing that younger 3C like Frost. It might be Pono but we would be taking the cap hit on Atkinson for a more "sure thing".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Torts loves him but he is totally cooked. Maybe a ‘normal’ offseason gives him a bit of life, but definitely not enough to get end up being stuck on the Sharks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I get SJ's logic of trying to trade for Vets (if the cost is a mid round pick and they only have 1-2 years left) vs just try to sign them in free agency. SJ is a bad team and likely to be bad for another couple of seasons as they continue their rebuild. They were not rebuilding when they missed the PO back in 2020, 2021, and 2022, so it's still going to take time for them to get back on track.

So, handing out 4/5 year term like Ana did for a Killorn probably not something they want to do. As they do want to surround Smith/Celebrini/Eklund with some quality veterans. But, good luck getting guys to waive a NTC to a bad team.
Right, you have to target guys who don’t have NTCs. Also… I’d prefer a guy who is, yunno, decent at hockey. Atkinson is probably not that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right, you have to target guys who don’t have NTCs. Also… I’d prefer a guy who is, yunno, decent at hockey. Atkinson is probably not that.
You can do that but then the acquisition cost is going to be higher than a 3rd or 4th round pick. Plus the odds of finding that type of player who doesn’t have a mntc with enough options to leave SJ on that list. Like it’s only an 8 team ntc list so that’s likely the 7 CAD teams plus 1 other or something like that.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
In what way?

Small, overpaid, and declining.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
10 team no-trade list

I'm guessing he has San Jose at #11
Do you happen to know how often and when NTC are submitted for players?

Is it a couple times a year?

If its at the draft, deadline to deal him based on current list is less than 2 weeks which would mean doing a quick trade very soon

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Do you happen to know how often and when NTC are submitted for players?

Is it a couple times a year?

If its at the draft, deadline to deal him based on current list is less than 2 weeks which would mean doing a quick trade very soon
It varies by contract, and this might not be accurate, but according to CapFriendly, he submitted a list on June 15th, 2020, and does not get to update it at all.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad