Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I guess I still just don't fully understand the vision. Everyone acts like Levshunov is going to be a PPQB, but I don't see that level of poise or dynamic ability currently. Maybe it comes with more reps but usually I would see guys who would try but fail, then maybe keep trying and it works as they got more comfortable with the league. He doesn't even try those things. I don't even like Parekh but I'd legit rather see trying to chase him at 12-16 if that is the hole you're trying to fill.

So now you're drafting a guy at 2 that is likely an extremely good defensive player but provides 30-40 points. Is that really the dynamic player that you want at 2? He's not like deking players or beating people with deception. He's a really straight forward player. Extremely good transition guy but man, it just doesn't feel right.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
What’s the difference between sending him to college another year and Rockford?

They are both good situations for him. If he goes to MSU he’ll play the NHL in late March early April.

If he plays in Rockford he’s MAYBE in the nhl in January and that’s only if he’s killing the league.

I don’t think there’s a big enough difference between the two situations to truly care.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I guess I still just don't fully understand the vision. Everyone acts like Levshunov is going to be a PPQB, but I don't see that level of poise or dynamic ability currently. Maybe it comes with more reps but usually I would see guys who would try but fail, then maybe keep trying and it works as they got more comfortable with the league. He doesn't even try those things. I don't even like Parekh but I'd legit rather see trying to chase him at 12-16 if that is the hole you're trying to fill.

So now you're drafting a guy at 2 that is likely an extremely good defensive player but provides 30-40 points. Is that really the dynamic player that you want at 2? He's not like deking players or beating people with deception. He's a really straight forward player. Extremely good transition guy but man, it just doesn't feel right.
I would 10/10 rather have a #1 dman who is a guy I can trust in every situation. Be a top pk guy... but maybe only a #2pp unit guy vs a OFD main guy. It's like... do you want a Morgan Riely type at 2 in a draft? I do not want that at all. I don't want to be the Leafs without a dman you feel can be there at all times or a john Carlsson type.

But I see some people do, because they want the offense. It's why I didn't want Bouchard His draft year but wanted Dobson. Bouchard did a ton offensively passing to McDavid but costly goals were scored on him being awful defensively

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

Do you need a Zane Parekh being crazy creative PPQB when you have Connor Bedard?

Bouchard stands back there and passes to Connor and Leon, makes good zone keeps, and blasts away. You are buying Levshunov because he’s an above average defender in the defensive zone. Then an above average power forward in the offensive zone. In one player. While also being elite in transition. It’s like playing with an extra half player in the ozone. I don’t see 30-40 points, I see 60-80 off of being a passenger on bedards PP and (omg a novel concept to us hawks fans) an actual threat to score in zone from a defensemen. We have never had it. Keith seabrook hjalmarsson cheli whoever. It’s gonna be awesome.

Reactions: Malaka and Idionym

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
What’s the difference between sending him to college another year and Rockford?

They are both good situations for him. If he goes to MSU he’ll play the NHL in late March early April.

If he plays in Rockford he’s MAYBE in the nhl in January and that’s only if he’s killing the league.

I don’t think there’s a big enough difference between the two situations to truly care.
For me it’s mostly down to the fact that he’s made massive leaps in competition the past two years already. Playing in the AHL next year would be a 3rd consecutive year with a huge jump. He’s certainly physically ready for pro hockey, but I think getting a second year at the same level of competition would do wonders for him

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Just going off the 17 draft rankings linked in elite prospects that include both Lev & Demidov:

Of the 17 rankings for Demidov:
13 have him 2nd.
3 have him 3rd.
1 has him at 7.

For Lev:
4 have him 2nd
4 have him 3rd
2 have him 4th
7 rankings have him between 6-11 (out of the top 5).

In terms of rank choice Demidov is overwhelmingly the favorite of these published rankings at 2nd overall.

Less than 50% of the rankings for Levshunov have him in the top 3 whereas 95% of the rankings have Demidov top 3. 40% of the rankings don't have Levshunov in the top 5.

It's not just HF that doesn't think Lev belongs at #2.

Reactions: statswatcher

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
For me it’s mostly down to the fact that he’s made massive leaps in competition the past two years already. Playing in the AHL next year would be a 3rd consecutive year with a huge jump. He’s certainly physically ready for pro hockey, but I think getting a second year at the same level of competition would do wonders for him
I think that’s fair. But… would you rather he go MSU MSU -> hawks

Or MSU-> Rockford-> hawks

Point being. He’s definitely with Chicago in 25-26. He’s jumping either way. I have a lot of time for whatever they’re doing down in Rockford with defensemen. Vlasic EDM Allan all making great progress

Reactions: Malaka

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
if KD goes the Levshunov route then hopefully a few things happen...send Levshunov back to MSU... fix Bedard's line but not enough to impact the w/l column, make the kid happy and help his development but thats it...be absolute dogshit next year so we can add that high end blue chip forward in the 25 draft, hopefully there are a few good ones at the top of the board
Porter Martone is the power forward that would look amazing on Bedard’s line for years to come.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Do you need a Zane Parekh being crazy creative PPQB when you have Connor Bedard?

Bouchard stands back there and passes to Connor and Leon, makes good zone keeps, and blasts away. You are buying Levshunov because he’s an above average defender in the defensive zone. Then an above average power forward in the offensive zone. In one player. While also being elite in transition. It’s like playing with an extra half player in the ozone. I don’t see 30-40 points, I see 60-80 off of being a passenger on bedards PP and (omg a novel concept to us hawks fans) an actual threat to score in zone from a defensemen. We have never had it. Keith seabrook hjalmarsson cheli whoever. It’s gonna be awesome.
Bouchard has a bomb of a shot though, and knows how to get it through. Lev doesn't have the shot, nor the ability to get his shot through. I'm not even sure if Lev is a threat to score and more than Seth Jones is.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Bouchard has a bomb of a shot though, and knows how to get it through. Lev doesn't have the shot, nor the ability to get his shot through. I'm not even sure if Lev is a threat to score and more than Seth Jones is.

One of Levshunov's best qualities is getting his shot through. He doesn't have a bomb slap shot but he has a very deceptive wrister.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I've seen a much wider range on Levshunov in rankings than I have Demidov, not that it really matters though.

I think that’s fair. But… would you rather he go MSU MSU -> hawks

Or MSU-> Rockford-> hawks

Point being. He’s definitely with Chicago in 25-26. He’s jumping either way. I have a lot of time for whatever they’re doing down in Rockford with defensemen. Vlasic EDM Allan all making great progress
Going Belarus U18s -> USHL -> NCAA -> NHL is, for me, way too much too quick. I don't think he dominated the NCAA at the level that would want me to rush a guy into the NHL. I think he has a lot to learn (which is fine) and he doesn't need to be learning that on a team with zero insulation defensively.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
One of Levshunov's best qualities is getting his shot through. He doesn't have a bomb slap shot but he has a very deceptive wrister.
I mean, he's not terrible at it, but he definitely needs work on it, and its not his best quality at all, imo. His best qualities are his skating and his transition passing. His shot is one of the few things he needs more work on to get better at.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The issue for me is he doesn't do those things better than Silayev.

Silayev is better defensively, and he's 6'7", with a suffocating wingspan. And I don't think he'll struggle to hit 30-40 points either. He's a really good skater too.

What can Levshunov do better than Silayev? I can't think of anything myself. Lev's only plus over Silayev is that he's right handed, but that shouldn't be factored into the selection.

In addition, there are forwards that are better than Lev.

All of that leads to it being a fine, but underwhelming selection.
Man, I'd love to hear those phone calls.

Reactions: Malaka

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I mean, he's not terrible at it, but he definitely needs work on it, and its not his best quality at all, imo. His best qualities are his skating and his transition passing. His shot is one of the few things he needs more work on to get better at.

I said one of, not his best. And it absolutely is. Now if you want to argue he needs to work on his slap shot? Sure, but his wrister is more than fine and it's deceptive. Pretty hard for defenders to block because it looks like he isn't even shooting.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I said one of, not his best. And it absolutely is. Now if you want to argue he needs to work on his slap shot? Sure, but his wrister is more than fine and it's deceptive. Pretty hard for defenders to block because it looks like he isn't even shooting.
It's deceptive, sure, but it's not nearly good enough to be talked about like he's Evan Bouchard firing bombs from the point. The 2 aren't even comparable when it comes to their shot, was my point.

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut

I wouldnt be surprised if Del Mastro ends up better than Lev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad