News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Questioning the Coyotes financial tactics during a pandemic while her company, The Athletic, fired every Arizona writer seems a bit hypocritical.

Ha! Good point.

I was trying to remember but I thought there was another organization that immediately let go of arena staff and sales when the season got shut down. I wanted to say it was Boston, but now that I think about it I believe they were the last to do so (or they kept everyone on).

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
IMO if you are going to write a hit piece on an organization for sexual harassment, financial concerns, etc. you should be citing specific evidence. This just all seems like a stretch to me.

Reactions: Jakey53

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Still working my way through the article but a couple thoughts.

Almost feels like she went into this to write an article about the Miller selection, or investigation into why Steve Sullivan was let go, had a bad interaction with BA because she was potentially looking into a touchy subject, and decided to go into the ownership group. I just don't know how an article that tries to cover 15 different topics was developed otherwise.

Staff having issues with a change of management style very much feels like someone working for a state entity, such as a university, changing jobs and working for a corporate entity, such as moving into an EdTech firm. All of a sudden your job will always be on the line. You have to think about how you present yourself in public while talking about your company. You are working for an entity that is actively trying to make a profit or it will fold, rather than one that is held up by the state (or in the Yotes case the NHL). It must have been a huge culture shift.

That article took weeks and weeks to write, it's very in-depth.

Sullivan just happened, it was a gift-with-purchase from the front office to show more dysfunction. It's obvious to most people the team is a disaster, why wouldn't there be an in-depth story as to how bad it is?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's obvious to most people the team is a disaster, why wouldn't there be an in-depth story as to how bad it is?

There's your blinder, friend.

It appears that if it serves a predetermined narrative, everything else is negotiable.

There are some very practical concerns about the construction and framing of this article in this thread, but I'm guessing that isn't important to you because "LAWLZ YOU'RE A BUNCH OF HOMER FANS ANYWAY" or something, right?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hockey dies in darkness!

Thank you to all the true heroes doing the Lord's work to save us from... General Managers who don't appreciate reporters or unsourced leaks... And sexists... And cheap skate billionaires... And whatever other unsourced accusation we can levy.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
the "this reporter" bit reminded me of (and I had to look this up) Paige Sinclair, the pig-woman reporter from the last season of Bojack Horseman, who spoke like a movie character straight from the 1940s.

Reactions: Tom Polakis

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale

Sullivan just happened, it was a gift-with-purchase from the front office to show more dysfunction. It's obvious to most people the team is a disaster, why wouldn't there be an in-depth story as to how bad it is?

didn’t know you were part of the creative process, big ups to you bud

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
IMO if you are going to write a hit piece on an organization for sexual harassment, financial concerns, etc. you should be citing specific evidence. This just all seems like a stretch to me.

I haven't read the piece. I know the sources are probably anonymous, but does she cite any physical evidence like financial records or legal briefs? I read some fine financial pubs like the Wall Street Journal, and they frequently cite documents that they were able to review. A credible news org knows they'll get their ass sued off if they can't back up their claims.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
I haven't read the piece. I know the sources are probably anonymous, but does she cite any physical evidence like financial records or legal briefs? I read some fine financial pubs like the Wall Street Journal, and they frequently cite documents that they were able to review. A credible news org knows they'll get their ass sued off if they can't back up their claims.

yes, there’s that fine bit of public record pointing to XG’s house being worth 3.5 million

Reactions: Canis Latrans

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
These come out literally every time there's any good feeling around here at all :laugh:

I'm not terribly impressed, we've had a better class of knife wielders out for us than this.

Meh. A lot of people on the main boards will still be upset when the Coyotes are still in AZ years down the road.

Well we're only on year 11!

What's another 20 or 30.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

No citations in the entire piece.

I'd like the time this article has distracted me today back.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

I have written a number of stories for a couple specialty hobby magazines. If there's one thing that nobody in the editorial staff ever cares about, it's how long it took me to write a story.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Miller situation happened back in October. I was using examples. Calm down Katie

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No citations in the entire piece.

I'd like the time this article has distracted me today back.
Today I learned that hockey teams are among the many businesses trying to cut costs and renegotiate bad contracts amid an economic crises caused by the government, General Managers don't like leaks, a male made an advance on someone in a business environment, and that nepotism is present in prosports. As Remo noted earlier, this is really surprising stuff!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
None of the big hockey names have mentioned the article. Pronman retweeted it but he mostly works for the Athletic. Hoping 31 Thoughts discusses it but this is one of those situations where no news is good news. We'll see if it picks up steam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad