News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
the “how dare you question my journalism ethics” line in particular gets an eye roll

The thing that made my eyes roll harder than that was the idea that any hockey ops information protections would be somehow against the unspoken assumptions of hockey team employment. I have to annually sign a mountain of paperwork re: intellectual property, non-competition, and a host of other provisions like that to keep my current job and I don't bat an eye at it.

I'm not saying the Meruelos are saints, but it says a shit-ton that half of what I've seen from this article is simply a business starting to be run like one and a bunch of people aren't happy about it. The sexual harassment issue concerns me, but for most of the rest of the stuff I wonder how much of it has to do with the pretense that working for a pro sports team is somehow distinct from working at a regular job.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I guess it depends how you interpret:

Armstrong asked this reporter what she thought would happen if he were to tell general managers around the league how she did her job.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
"At the party, an employee of the Meruelo Group allegedly made an unwanted sexual advance toward a female Coyotes employee. This incident was widely discussed within the organization; five employees told The Athletic that they had heard about it. (The female employee declined to comment when reached by telephone.) "
Ok so at a party someone from Meruelo's group was hitting on a female employee. It was discussed within the organization. Was there foul play by anyone here? Did the org. hide something?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
just imagine what people working from home are doing nowadays.

I'm browsing forum 40...thank you very much.

The org. also added numerous positions to the scouting department and front office.

Exactly what I was thinking when they hired Doan, Stempniak, Perri, Ludwig, McConell, Kozinn, etc. Some of these positions you could argue are essential, but surely not all of them. I don't think there is a cash crunch, but perhaps watching the budget in other areas, which every good business does.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Looks like Tom beat me to it. I have a synopsis in mine (small) but if a mod could merge it, that would help
Yeah, I saw the other thread first, too, and am the lone response in it currently.

"Interesting that the author, she seems to have had a little run-in with BA over how she obtained some information." Others have noticed a bias as well. Not saying it excuses things if true, but does raise an eyebrow.

Reactions: Yandover

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
"At the party, an employee of the Meruelo Group allegedly made an unwanted sexual advance toward a female Coyotes employee. This incident was widely discussed within the organization; five employees told The Athletic that they had heard about it. (The female employee declined to comment when reached by telephone.) "

This isn't necessarily harassment, but It could violate company policy. Showing romantic interest in someone is not a crime. What you do after they rebuff you might be though.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Ok so at a party someone from Meruelo's group was hitting on a female employee. It was discussed within the organization. Was there foul play by anyone here? Did the org. hide something?
That would be a problem. To me though it feels like she just throws in any content that could put the coyotes in a bad light.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
That would be a problem. To me though it feels like she just throws in any content that could put the coyotes in a bad light.
My thought exactly. I am not trying to dismiss sexual harassment at all because that is incredibly serious. Based on the facts that I saw in that quote there doesnt seem to be any foul play or negligence by the org.

As for the way Armstrong was talking to this journalist...yes it was aggressive, but this franchise has been a punching bag for journalist and other fan bases for a long time. I think Armstrong is trying to draw a line in the sand and form a backbone this org. has lacked for a long time.

Until I hear more than what I have so far this doesnt change much for me as a fan.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Did the org. hide something?

There is a difference between "hiding something" and maintaining confidentiality, which every good organization does. "Hiding something" implies you had a legal or ethical obligation to disclose information, and usually involves a formal investigation by an authoritative body.

Reactions: Yandover

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
My thought exactly. I am not trying to dismiss sexual harassment at all because that is incredibly serious. Based on the facts that I saw in that quote there doesnt seem to be any foul play or negligence by the org.

As for the way Armstrong was talking to this journalist...yes it was aggressive, but this franchise has been a punching bag for journalist and other fan bases for a long time. I think Armstrong is trying to draw a line in the sand and form a backbone this org. has lacked for a long time.

Until I hear more than what I have so far this doesnt change much for me as a fan.
Exactly, if the org is at foul in this situation that would've been a bigger part of the article, or a separate big article altogether. As it stands now, there's more focus on that the Meruelo group calls their employees family than on the harassment.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

Her lack of focus was my main problem with the story. She begins her piece by describing major financial issues. There are multiple instances of Meruelo not paying the full amount on time, and then negotiating down to a lower amount. Many of these cases were being leaked as they happened. That's an interesting story worth reporting on.

She could have stuck with that topic, but instead veered off into whatever else she could dig up that's unfavorable. Drafting Miller, Chayka leaving, sexual harrassment... those are just fodder she used to pile on, and contribute nothing of substance to the story. Interviewing ex-employees reminds me of the method used by the one-sided documentary "The Social Dilemma."

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
One employee hit on another at a party. Shocking! The boss's son dicks around at his father's company. OMG I never thought that could happen. Owner is cutting costs during a pandemic. Well damn, no one else does this right? Employees are told to keep confidencial things at work confidential. Well that's the last straw! Burn this f***er down!!! We want the country club back! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Just tuned into Doug & Wolf in which they were interviewing Armstrong. No mention of this article. I was curious to see if this story was going to take off.... it hasnt. I also havent seen too many of the big hockey personalities on social media talking about it.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
:rolleyes:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This isn't necessarily harassment, but It could violate company policy. Showing romantic interest in someone is not a crime. What you do after they rebuff you might be though.
So if you keep on asking a chick out several times and she always says no is a crime? The article is stupid, and all of us talking about it on here is even more stupid.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One employee hit on another at a party. Shocking! The bosses son dicks around at his father's company. OMG I never thought that could happen. Owner is cutting costs during a pandemic. Well damn, no one else does this right? Employees are told to keep confidencial things at work confidential. Well that's the last straw! Burn this f***er down!!! We want the country club back! :sarcasm:
Could not have said it better my self.

Reactions: cobra427 and RemoAZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Reading through the article now (I decided I needed to read it before I commented on it further), and so far I'm pretty disappointed with Katie Strang's reporting. Although she cites having spoken to 50 people or so, I don't see a whole lot of new reporting or investigation. A hell of a lot of hearsay, though - and my initial supposition that "THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S USUALLY DONE IN HOCKEY!" plays a big role in much of the reactions from the interviewees has so far been borne out.

I'll check back in when I finish it.

EDIT 1: Reading through some of the financial stuff, it looks to me as if the Coyotes are getting slagged for renegotiating bad contracts signed by the previous ownership groups more than anything. Ms. Strang notes that in most instances the Coyotes have quickly paid outstanding balances, but right afterward she writes about how the "Cliff's Notes" versions of the stories "reinforced the idea" that the Coyotes were struggling financially. Speaking as a former reporter, I really loathe when someone goes into a piece like this with the lede prewritten.

EDIT 2: This from the final paragraph of the article says a lot to me: "One of the perks of working for an NHL club is the relaxed, team-like atmosphere where employees were allowed, and encouraged, to wear club apparel during the season to promote a sense of camaraderie in the office." Good lord.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
So if you keep on asking a chick out several times and she always says no is a crime?

It could be construed as harassment. Technically not a crime in most sitiations, but enough to get someone fired and enough for a lawsuit (admittedly a low bar).

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Reading through the article now (I decided I needed to read it before I commented on it further), and so far I'm pretty disappointed with Katie Strang's reporting. Although she cites having spoken to 50 people or so, I don't see a whole lot of new reporting or investigation. A hell of a lot of hearsay, though - and my initial supposition that "THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S USUALLY DONE IN HOCKEY!" plays a big role in much of the reactions from the interviewees has so far been borne out.

I'll check back in when I finish it.

EDIT 1: Reading through some of the financial stuff, it looks to me as if the Coyotes are getting slagged for renegotiating bad contracts signed by the previous ownership groups more than anything. Ms. Strang notes that in most instances the Coyotes have quickly paid outstanding balances, but right afterward she writes about how the "Cliff's Notes" versions of the stories "reinforced the idea" that the Coyotes were struggling financially. Speaking as a former reporter, I really loathe when someone goes into a piece like this with the lede prewritten.

This is exactly how I felt when I read the article, she cites a load of sources and then throws in a few quotes that only somewhat support what she is saying. Off hand I can think of one person calling it a shit show and another saying Chayka shielded hockey ops from upper management. I've read Strang pieces in the past and they don't really read this way, it's all very confusing, especially that last second throw in about the sexual harassment claim, which was supported with her saying that five employees told her they had heard about 'it'. It's just all really bizarre. The article kind of touches on all aspects without actually doing a ton of research. The part about Meruelo saying we need to cut costs at all costs and that being applied to hockey ops or the roster is really concerning, but we have yet to see a move like yet (jury still out of Sullivan).

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Can't read the actual article but it sounds like sour grapes. Maybe get something of actual substance before trying to crap all over a franchise.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This is exactly how I felt when I read the article, she cites a load of sources and then throws in a few quotes that only somewhat support what she is saying. Off hand I can think of one person calling it a shit show and another saying Chayka shielded hockey ops from upper management. I've read Strang pieces in the past and they don't really read this way, it's all very confusing, especially that last second throw in about the sexual harassment claim, which was supported with her saying that five employees told her they had heard about 'it'. It's just all really bizarre. The article kind of touches on all aspects without actually doing a ton of research. The part about Meruelo saying we need to cut costs at all costs and that being applied to hockey ops or the roster is really concerning, but we have yet to see a move like yet (jury still out of Sullivan).

All I know is, if I had submitted a story like this to my editor back in the day, I would have gotten raked for it and told to go back and rewrite it without the ax grinder.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
All I know is, if I had submitted a story like this to my editor back in the day, I would have gotten raked for it and told to go back and rewrite it without the ax grinder.

Welcome to the new age of internet "journalism." It's all about the clicks homie.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad