ATD Chat Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Howe should be there…. But I’m not sure if he should replace McDavid or Lemieux.

Bourque vs Harvey is a coin toss.

Price is the only one that sticks out badly.
Surely you agree Price is the most advanced goalie ever, putting career benchmarks aside, tho he does have those as well. I think he's mixing in talent with career metrics, obviously with his choice of McDavid over Howe and Price over whoever.
1723485440814.png

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
April 1991, i as a uni student going from Lethbridge to Calgary, listening on my Sony Walkman cassette player to a cutting-out, shaky radio broadcast on the Greyhound bus, having to hold up the wire from the ear phones because it was the antenna (i think, as certainly reception was better when it was raised and spread wide)... so there i was.... listening to and telling the others on the bus what was happening in the Calgary vs. Edmonton playoff game. Cheers & groans abound. I went on to over half a decade of journalism later that decade but my play-by-play calls on that bus that day, to near unanimous cheer (the driver, too),... was EPIC! ... Tikkanen scored the overtime goal and i was estatic and surprisingly less than half of the bus looked deflated. ... it was a different era. A moment in hockey history. (We all have them; all stories should be told)

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I just now got a HfBoards Devoted "trophy" for reaching the 20-year mark on these boards, i joining back in '04 to contribute to the then new "History" board. It has been a lot of interesting fun. From computers in Internet cafes to smartphones, times have changed but the drafts continue!

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchBrawl

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I just now got a HfBoards Devoted "trophy" for reaching the 20-year mark on these boards, i joining back in '04 to contribute to the then new "History" board. It has been a lot of interesting fun. From computers in Internet cafes to smartphones, times have changed but the drafts continue!
I'm looking forward to getting mine in January.

@Bear of Bad News - at this point I think I qualify for a pension, right?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I had never told that bus-to-Calgary story ever.
Yet it is a fond memory.

I am glad at least a few heard it here (as i am sure everyone on that bus recalls it - it was a Hollywood moment without any cameras).

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Closing hand on puck becomes a rule - 1951

THN Jun 15 1951 said:
It wafs once the fashion of hockey players to pick the puck out of the air with their hands and toss it back to the referee for another faceoff. But those days are gone forever.

The N.H.L. rules committee has decided that in future any player who grabs the puck with his hand will get a two minute penalty.

“We had to do something to stop it”, said Referee-in-Chief Carl Voss. “It was getting to the point where it was ridiculous. Players were just grabbing the puck and tossing it back at the referee. It made more faceoffs and delayed the game. In future all players doing that will get two minutes in the penalty box.”

Voss said that Coach Lynn Patrick of the Boston had admitted to him that he told his players to grab the puck out of the air. [/QUOTE[

I didn't know when/why this came about, stumbled across while doing other research.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pet peeve: showing season-long excerpts in a weekly eliminated contestant reality show. Are we supposed to forget what we saw in the opening? You know this person is gonna be there after this episode because the person hasn't done the shown thing yet. Ugh.

This problem is compounded in the digital era of binge watching, where memories aren't as deficient as producers seem to expect.

Annoying writ large.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Mark Messier over Doug Harvey and Bobby Hull is certainly something.

I'm a big Mess fan, but him being in the top 10 is crazy in itself when you consider guys like Bourque, Lidstrom and Shore are missing as well.

Messier sticks out like a sore thumb there

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Messier owned the ice at both ends and middle ice.

He was drafted based on a well-reported new formula Edmonton used: he scored high on all parameters (size, speed, skating, puckhandling, checking, character, legacy - he had a relative from the NHL - a metric the Oilers were first to factor into their equation)... except he scored low on hockey sense (he sucker punches in front of refs; he sits on goaltenders). And it was felt he could develop that - stop stupid game-losing plays. And he did. In spades.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Messier sticks out like a sore thumb there
With Bobby Hull?

Yes, he stands out.

One of the two is top-10 all-time worthy, and it ain't chalk.
I have never - in decades of ATD drafting - picked Bobby Hull because guys like Mark Messier and Red Kelly were ALWAYS on the board. *shrug* (i know i know 'popular' opinion).

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
With Bobby Hull?

Yes, he stands out.

One of the two is top-10 all-time worthy, and it ain't chalk.
I have never - in decades of ATD drafting - picked Bobby Hull because guys like Mark Messier and Red Kelly were ALWAYS on the board. *shrug* (i know i know 'popular' opinion).
I watched games 2 and 3 of the 1984 Oilers-Islanders series recently… the Islanders who were beat up were starting to impose their physical, chippy game after the Oilers demolished them in game 1… Gillies was charging the crease and scored 4 goals in these two games. Gretzky was invisible. It was Messier who saved the day - bowling over Trottier and POTVIN. Potvin’s father died in the middle of the playoffs and he was hurt so he’s not the usual Potvin but still… not many people took runs at him and didn’t regret it. Billy Smith was playing stellar… it looked much like the Islanders had found a second wind and were on their way to a 5th Cup as late as midway through the pivotal game 3 in EDM. It was Messier that said F this and grabbed the bull by the horns. And he did in 1990 and 1994 also. How he’s belittled here is baffling for anyone who watched hockey through those years and saw him dominate … all these players brought some form of domination but Messier did it all - with Gretzky, without Gretzky leading a group of kids, and with a pastiche of vets. I can only think they are Canucks fans lol

Last edited:
Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I do have to partition my Canucks loathing of getting Messier - which we knew immediately would cost us Linden. But i haven't ever blamed the vet, just the execs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad