ATD Chat Thread XX

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
These last two games is the first time I've seriously thought that McDavid can overtake Lemieux.

This level of performance, in the SCF, with Draisaitl MIA, is just incredible.

I’m convinced Drai is hurt. He was so dangerous in the previous series and so unnoticeable most of the finals.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
I’m convinced Drai is hurt. He was so dangerous in the previous series and so unnoticeable most of the finals.
Isn't there info out there that he's got a splint on one of his index fingers?

That'd make sense to me. He definitely looks like he's ailing, especially on faceoffs. An upper-body injury would check out.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Losing effort Conn Smythe. McDavid didn't come out to accept it.
I definitely wanted to be the "bad sportsmanship" person here, but at the same time, winning the Smythe as a non-Stanley Cup winner is really rare so there is not much history to draw from but if I had to choose, just show up and take the trophy and hand it over just like everybody else has done. The Oilers were surprisingly quick with leaving the ice in general. The current Oilers team never struck me as a team who handled defeat very well. Nevertheless they obviously deserved to be there tonight, they got going a bit late this season but definitely ended up with a season to be proud of.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nobody would've wanted him out there.

Glenn Hall was the first to win the Conn Smythe on a losing team:

"Back when I got it, they gave it to me a couple of weeks later, though. I got a plaque, I think. Yes, I was happy to get it. I don’t know how happy a goalie would be to get it right after you lose the Stanley Cup, though,” said Hall, who lost four games to the Canadiens in ’68, all by a single goal."

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
One thing that's kinda funny about the 2024 Edmonton Oilers is that when I think about the quintessientially average ATD team, it's a lovingly assembled first line, another great player, and then one just sort of forgets about the top six because Gainey just went off the board and you gotta grab those checkers. Maybe that was more the formula years ago, but either way I couldn't help but think of that watching Draisaitl play with, I dunno, who's available?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Right after the end of the game (on CBC), Paul Maurice gave a heartfelt interview. He told his father that he'd be getting his name on the Cup along with his childhood heroes - "Richard, Beliveau, Howe, Lindsay". It was good hearing those names, uttered with some reverence, broadcast to a national audience.

On an unrelated note - do we know if Draisaitl was injured? I've heard rumours, but nothing concrete. I was surprised by how ineffective he was in the SCF.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Right after the end of the game (on CBC), Paul Maurice gave a heartfelt interview. He told his father that he'd be getting his name on the Cup along with his childhood heroes - "Richard, Beliveau, Howe, Lindsay". It was good hearing those names, uttered with some reverence, broadcast to a national audience.

On an unrelated note - do we know if Draisaitl was injured? I've heard rumours, but nothing concrete. I was surprised by how ineffective he was in the SCF.

McDavid needs abdominal surgery

Draisaitl broken ribs and finger

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Only 2 students wore glasses in elementary school, neither on honor roll; flash forward, no one in optional French 11 wore glasses (though i sat midway closer to the board from the right wall - with Randy with me, he, since, an engineer in mining.) CLASS OF '87!

EDIT: I purchased eyewear week three in uni.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He's an ass. And he overcharges. But he is a competent vet. So i again pay hundreds to help a street cat get vaccinated, "fixed"(sex organs cut out) and - in this case luckily - homed (with a young couple in a high-rise apartment); there is a free local 'fix'-and-release program... two neighborhood felines i hope to trap into that (the less people-friendly street cats). ... My two always-inside 10-year-old cats (Angora and Persian) meow jealously when i'm outside interacting with the street cats.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, we're well into the sixth round now, so I feel like I can ask this. Who do you guys think are the winners and losers of the draft? How do you think Chicago did with their three fist rounders?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So, we're well into the sixth round now, so I feel like I can ask this. Who do you guys think are the winners and losers of the draft? How do you think Chicago did with their three fist rounders?

Don't know about other teams, but I'm happy with Montreal getting a great russian talent after the Michkov fiasco last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad