Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Lol thought the same. I could see it coming from Berard, mid round undersized winger who wears his heart on his sleeve to get to where he’s at.

Othmann has seen very little adversity in his career
even if you're right, what do we care whether his motivation is invented or real?

the ability to invent motivation is extremely valuable. good on him

it's you against the world, Brennan! Nobody believes in you!

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
I'd give Othmann, Perreault and Berard nWo wolf pac shirts to wear when they first walk into the room in September.
IMG_0832.gif

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I know these guys require bulletin board material to push themselves, but I audibly laughed out loud at Othmann saying he wants to prove people wrong

Pretty much everyone is rooting for you. And it’s not like you’re some 7th round pick

Who are these people that are wrong about you? Come on now lol
He's been slighted by Team Canada quite a bit. I like the chip on the shoulder this kid carries, I get that it could be laughable to some. I'm pumped about it. I read him like he assesses, confident and not arrogant.

But hey, if he knows how to keep a fire lit under his ass, so be it. There's plenty of us here rooting for him, but maybe he hears whispers of how he's 'not a good 5v5 player' or 'just a PP merchant'. That would be great for him to catch as he rolls into Hartford next year.

Kids got swag, these comments put me a little more on the Otter train.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
He's been slighted by Team Canada quite a bit. I like the chip on the shoulder this kid carries, I get that it could be laughable to some. I'm pumped about it. I read him like he assesses, confident and not arrogant.

But hey, if he knows how to keep a fire lit under his ass, so be it. There's plenty of us here rooting for him, but maybe he hears whispers of how he's 'not a good 5v5 player' or 'just a PP merchant'. That would be great for him to catch as he rolls into Hartford next year.

Kids got swag, these comments put me a little more on the Otter train.
he was on the Canada WJC teams for both his 19 and 20 year old seasons

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I know these guys require bulletin board material to push themselves, but I audibly laughed out loud at Othmann saying he wants to prove people wrong

Pretty much everyone is rooting for you. And it’s not like you’re some 7th round pick

Who are these people that are wrong about you? Come on now lol
He's probably reading this board. Lots of posters not sold on him.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Lol thought the same. I could see it coming from Berard, mid round undersized winger who wears his heart on his sleeve to get to where he’s at.

Othmann has seen very little adversity in his career

eh...there's a ton of athletes who look for reasons to feel slighted as motivation, just the way some people are wired. michael jordan is obviously notorious for having that mentality. he'd take totally innocuous statements and mentally manipulate them into being disrespectful to use as competitive fuel.

maybe he scours the internet for dumb comments from random nobodies for motivation. maybe disrespect is something the org/mentors/coaches have found that brings out his best and manufacture it. maybe he got feedback at the end of the year that he didn't like hearing and that's driving him. maybe a peer/s in his age group he's played with/against who had comments that got back to him. maybe somebody didn't shake his hand that morning. there's a infinite number of things he could be referencing...the only reality it requires is how he mentally perceived whatever it is.

Reactions: bhamill

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Kid's got an attitude. Not a damn thing wrong with that as long he channels it properly, and it certainly seems like he does.

Hopefully things break right for him with us, because he doesn't seem like a guy that's going to be content with not getting opportunities once he's shown he's ready for them.

True , right now there’s a spot open if he has a good Camp though

He does play with an edge

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He does that vs bad teams. It's his MO. He's not a player teams win with

Capitals were the top team in the Division and 3rd in the conference when he popped 5 on them.

He’s also above a PPG in the playoffs as a Ranger.

It really surprises me that he gets more heat than Panarin (who gets his share, but almost as much excuse making) despite being a more productive playoff performer.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kid's got an attitude. Not a damn thing wrong with that as long he channels it properly, and it certainly seems like he does.

Hopefully things break right for him with us, because he doesn't seem like a guy that's going to be content with not getting opportunities once he's shown he's ready for them.

He's reminded me of Dubinsky since day 1.

That's the kind of player I'm hoping he becomes, with a better shot and probably slightly less playmaking ability.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
he was on the Canada WJC teams for both his 19 and 20 year old seasons
Sorry I couldn't find more direct context than this, but this is what I recall:

Either way, he used what he was give to keep fueling him to get here!

• Love
Reactions: RangersFan1994

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Capitals were the top team in the Division and 3rd in the conference when he popped 5 on them.

He’s also above a PPG in the playoffs as a Ranger.

It really surprises me that he gets more heat than Panarin (who gets his share, but almost as much excuse making) despite being a more productive playoff performer.
I don’t care if he’s at 3PPG in the playoffs if he disappears 2 games into the 2nd round like he did this post season. He piled them points up against Wash, played a good game or two against CAR, then disappeared for the rest of the games. You don’t win with players who do that. And judging by the last two post seasons, he can’t be relied upon to do more than that. Would be wonderful if he made me look like an ass in post season ‘25, but that’s a bad bet IMO.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I just hope the Rangers soft leadership doesn't turn him to a soft passive wuss that second guess himself and afraid to speak his mind. Rangers need more attitude. Not to compare but remember when the Rangers had Avery. Need some jerk type of attitude that hates to lose. I see nothing wrong with that

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I just hope the Rangers soft leadership doesn't turn him to a soft passive wuss that second guess himself and afraid to speak his mind. Rangers need more attitude. Not to compare but remember when the Rangers had Avery. Need some jerk type of attitude that hates to lose. I see nothing wrong with that
I think that came more from the coach than anything. Wasn’t that the Torts era? Now THAT is a guy who hates to lose.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad