Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
22 years old is still young for a goalie though , well within his rights of course , hope it doesn't backfire on him and I hope he's ready to play in the bigs if he's asking for a trade , godspeed young man

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What a stupid move.

Ask and push for a trade? Fine. But choose not to report to your team as a 22 year old? That's just bad form, and a really crappy move.

I see nothing wrong with it.....he wants out, doesn't want to waste another year in the minors and his team keeps throwing roadblocks in his way.

Why stick around and pretend everything's just swell? :dunno:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Can't really blame him.

The guy was a high pick for a reason. Sure, being in the NHL as a 22-year old goaltender is a bit on the younger side, but when you're the #11 pick overall in the draft an already put in two solid seasons in the AHL, I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to have a viable path to making the big club this season.

It's one thing to see Saros signed long-term and knowing that you're most likely not going to be able to earn the starter job anytime soon (if at all), but seeing the team also go out and sign Wedgewood for 2 seasons as the backup had to be the final straw.

Seemed like the Preds had things lined up for them - a workhorse starting goalie that can eat up 75%+ of the starts while they work in Askarov as a backup and pump up his value for a couple seasons before making a decision if/when Askarov showed he is starter material. Seems like they really dropped the ball here, with a player now requesting a trade this late in the offseason and really turning the screws by refusing to report to the AHL.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He went from being a part of one of the premier clubs in a major city at home to what will now be his 3rd year making $80k in Milwaukee. Can't really blame him being unhappy with his situation. No shade against the great state of Wisconsin
Can also take a look at other Russian goalies around the league... Two in New York, two in Florida, one in Vegas, one in Colorado (maybe not so attractive as the others but a contending team)... Yeah.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Can't really blame him.

The guy was a high pick for a reason. Sure, being in the NHL as a 22-year old goaltender is a bit on the younger side, but when you're the #11 pick overall in the draft an already put in two solid seasons in the AHL, I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to have a viable path to making the big club this season.

It's one thing to see Saros signed long-term and knowing that you're most likely not going to be able to earn the starter job anytime soon (if at all), but seeing the team also go out and sign Wedgewood for 2 seasons as the backup had to be the final straw.

Seemed like the Preds had things lined up for them - a workhorse starting goalie that can eat up 75%+ of the starts while they work in Askarov as a backup and pump up his value for a couple seasons before making a decision if/when Askarov showed he is starter material. Seems like they really dropped the ball here, with a player now requesting a trade this late in the offseason.
Thing is Wedgewood's contract is cheap to the point he could be sent down to Milwaukee if Askarov out performs him in camp. Nashville would actually gain a slight bit of cap since you can bury a little over 1 million in cap vs Askarov's cap of 925K. I guess he just doesnt want the competition and wants the backup role handed to him. Either way, there isnt much of a path to a starters role in Nashville anyways since we have saros signed for 9 more seasons... pull the ripcord now i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad