Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It sounds like he's working for a trade, although I really don't think he's proven he's an NHL goalie yet.

Just hope we don't f it up, because he has that "it" factor that very few goalies have.
He has yet to secure a backup role full time in the NHL. If the Sarros extension does happen, then long term Askarov won't be there, but he needs to be a full time NHL goalie (backup) next season. 2026 or so is when he should look to get out and get a starter role if he can show that he can hold down the backup role.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This looks like a buyer beware kind of trade. If he loses three starter's gig on his new team, how long until he's doing the same thing?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He has yet to secure a backup role full time in the NHL. If the Sarros extension does happen, then long term Askarov won't be there, but he needs to be a full time NHL goalie (backup) next season. 2026 or so is when he should look to get out and get a starter role if he can show that he can hold down the backup role.
I disagree, he needs to get starts in the AHL, I think being a backup would be detrimental right now.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
would be most Nashville thing ever to piss away Askarov

What about Kemmell, Wood, Askarov, tomasino , both 2025 1sts for Zegras and Carlsson?
Aren't they arguably the most stable franchise in the league with regards to goaltending?

They went from peak Dunham, to Vokoun, to Rinne, to Saros. One season of Chris Mason sprinkled in there, I suppose.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
No, they're not. He just turned 22, most goalies aren't in the NHL at that point.
they have a starter locked up for the next 10 years or something. if askarov is not an idiot he should know they will be marinating him in the ahl for a very long time. and every year they will tell him - you are not ready, one year more and we'll see how it goes.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Who is more NHL-ready - Askarov or Silovs?

Nucks are toying with the idea of Silovs as back up next year. Prospect swap?

With Demko’s health uncertainties, he’d probably play a lot of games here…

Don’t come at me saying the value isn’t the same. Despite draft pedigree, these are comparable players.

• Haha
Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Who is more NHL-ready - Askarov or Silovs?

Nucks are toying with the idea of Silovs as back up next year. Prospect swap?

With Demko’s health uncertainties, he’d probably play a lot of games here…

Don’t come at me saying the value isn’t the same. Despite draft pedigree, these are comparable players.
If we’re trading askarov it won’t be goalie for goalie. We’ll be looking for a defensive prospect or forward prospect

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah he definitely has not proven himself ready for the NHL. If he was, Nashville would have him up in the NHL and would not have spent money on Wedgewood as a backup.

The smartest thing Askarov could do is take full advantage of the opportunity before him to start a lot of games in Milwaukee and benefit from the tutelage of Mitch Korn. If he just puts in the work and doesn’t get distracted, he’ll get his chance in the NHL soon enough.
Staying in Nashville puts a massive cap on how much money askarov can make for the next 8 years, and likely beyond that

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well... signing a starting goalie to a 7.74 million AAV contract until retirement age and giving him a NMC certainly does seem to limit Askarov's upward movement in Nashville
Not really, if he is as good as he thinks he is then there are things that can be done if needed. Right now though he has proven nothing other than he is good enough to play an AHL season and run out of gas when the playoffs start.

Right now he is still strictly a prospect. If he had a better playoffs and hadn't gotten injured then maybe he has a chance as the back up, but when that happened Trotz had no choice but to go out and get one.

Smartest thing he can do is buckle down and have a really solid AHL season and playoffs, put pressure on Trotz to move out Wedgewood and give him the back up spot. Right now only one crazy GM and coach would throw him on an NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad