Ashton v. Frattin

Durkin67

When was that? how many games and for how long we are going to brag about

He is really nothing - at best a 4th liner

my god man. how is it bragging? they had natural chemistry with the Marlies. christ, you guys remind me of my daughter's high school friends, all snippy and snappy and ****.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Frattin his hanging onto his hopes of an NHL career by a thread. He will easily clear waivers.

Ashton has a long way to go before he burns all his NHL bus tickets.

Apologies for the weak metaphors ... long week.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The one that can trade will be gone and I am at the who cares stage....Ashton has a better contract....he may be picked up if exposed to waivers as his AHL salary is $67,500 and Frattins is paid the same in the NHL and AHL...

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I went with Frattin on upside alone. If Frattin can put it together and get a bit of a scoring touch he is infinitely more valuable than Ashton. We also have a bunch of guys that can fill the role Ashton provides so I choose upside over redundancy.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Meh, they're both scrubs. If I had to pick I'd say Ashton who hasn't gotten as much of a chance as Frattin.

officialmark*

He gets 8 minutes a night playing with Winnik, and people are complaining he doesn't produce. Put him in Leivos spot and he does the same thing.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Frattin because he can slot into middle-6 better than ashton. Still have guys like Bodie who can fill a bottom 6 role better than Ashton can.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
People were so excited to have Frattin back but the reality is he isn't the same player we thought we had.

Both have not impressed at all and I really don't care who makes it. Maybe take a chance on Frattin because he's shown he can do it before for us.

But I want Lievo and Kozun in the starting lineup before these guys no doubt.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I was looking for the "neither" option.

Frat tin served his purpose in the Bernier trade. We wasted a better prospect in D'Amigo to get him back.

I would have kept Bodie up rather than either of them.

BB

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I've got to go with keeping Frattin! Ashton is done IMHO. He may be an AHL lifer!

I can see Frattin used as trade bait unless he steps up soon!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was looking for the "neither" option.

Frat tin served his purpose in the Bernier trade. We wasted a better prospect in D'Amigo to get him back.

I would have kept Bodie up rather than either of them.

BB

We can just waive Frattin and claim D'Amigo when Columbus waives him. Even if D'Amigo manages to make the roster to open the year they'll be forced to waive him when their players return from injury/Johansen signs.

My plan is trade Ashton, waive Orr, McLaren. Keep Frattin, and NYlander for the 9- games, and send him to the AHL when Columbus waives D'Amuigo and pick him up.

Frattin/D'Amigo as your extras isn't the worst thing in the world.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Frattin was never that good, he (along with MacArthur for a period and Lupul for the 2nd half of that season) were simply riding the coat-tails of an impossibly hot Kadri. They even plugged Colton Orr next to Kadri that season and he didn't look terrible. Everyone who played with Kadri that lockout-shortened year looked awesome. Out of the three I pointed out above, Frattin benefited the most. He's simply not that good.

Frattin - Kadri "chemistry" is a myth, just like how we found out that the Lupul - Kadri chemistry was also a myth last season. Kadri was simply on fire for a 48 game season and MADE chemistry with anyone he played with.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Frattin was never that good, he (along with MacArthur for a period and Lupul for the 2nd half of that season) were simply riding the coat-tails of an impossibly hot Kadri. They even plugged Colton Orr next to Kadri that season and he didn't look terrible. Everyone who played with Kadri that lockout-shortened year looked awesome. Out of the three I pointed out above, Frattin benefited the most. He's simply not that good.

Frattin - Kadri "chemistry" is a myth, just like how we found out that the Lupul - Kadri chemistry was also a myth last season. Kadri was simply on fire for a 48 game season and MADE chemistry with anyone he played with.

He looks primed to do that again (Kadri)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I don't know. I think we run with a bunch of RW's to figure out what works. Clarkson is still likely out for at least a couple of games and Booth is out for a month. Therefore, Kozun, Frattin and Ashton are all likely going to have their shots (as will Orr). Whoever impresses the most will stay with the team either as the 3rd/4th line forward (Clarkson will almost certainly play 2RW) depending on where Booth plays and two others will be the 13th and 14th forwards. The leaves one guy to be traded (or in the case of Orr, maybe waived) at the end of it.

Preseason has worked for some and hasn't worked for the others. Regular season is where we'll see if Frattin, Ashton and Orr will continue to be legitimately bad and if Kozun has really taken the next step. Maybe he hasn't been exceptional through the offseason, but I still think he, Ashton, Orr and Kozun should be given further looks during the regular season, especially with the injuries to Booth and Clarkson, because maybe it will be more obvious who should be sent on waivers/traded then.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Holland-Kozun
Winnik-Santorelli-Ashton
Orr

Phaneuf-Robidas
Gardiner-Polak
Rielly-Holzer
Percy

Bernier-Reimer

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Really don't want to lose Ashton, see nothing wrong with an effective fore checker and board man who's been snake bit thus far. He may never score much but we need guys who will take a beating to keep the puck deep for a shift. He's got some sand paper and personality out there and always ready to donate his nose to the cause. Lol.

I strongly agree with this post.

IMO - Ashton is not going away (from the NHL that is). He has enough talent and enough passion. He'll be back, whether he clears waivers and goes down, or whether another team takes him off waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad