As a new hockey fan, I've decided to follow the Avs. Am I in the right place for a friendly community?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Also technically the mods aren't exactly supposed to be the ones to make the GDTs... It's more like most of us are too lazy to put effort into making one.

fletch-law.gif

As for the thread starter, it's a genuine pleasure to have you here as a brand new hockey fan who's never been on HFBoards before.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Hello, my name is Alfonso and am currently a big basketball fan but I have a friend who likes Hockey and he told me the Colorado Avalanche are the classiest team in the league so I would like to become a fan. Is there a place I could go to learn about Avalanche lore? Please and thank you for any kind responses. I'm excited to learn more about this franchise.
The Avs fans on this board(I don’t read other boards) are a bunch off assholes. Jmo

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
Hello, my name is Alfonso and am currently a big basketball fan but I have a friend who likes Hockey and he told me the Colorado Avalanche are the classiest team in the league so I would like to become a fan. Is there a place I could go to learn about Avalanche lore? Please and thank you for any kind responses. I'm excited to learn more about this franchise.
You'll love hockey, it's fast paced and hard hitting. And the Avs' playstyle is, play fast and up tempo. Welcome!

Here is your song.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We eat booty round here.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Ah in England. Well if you're a Gooner everything is okay, if your's a Spurs fan GTFO lol.

- So, Avs are very similar to the Denver Nuggets. Some top talent in the league with MacKinnon and Makar rivaling Jokic and Murray..but some depth issues. Or you could say we are like two years ago version of Liverpool, but there is a chance we could be last year's version of Chelsea this upcoming season.

- Here are some videos since you're brand new to the sport. Our fanbase is pretty chill, but warning there WILL be gatekeepers for the sport and most come from the elite teams like the O6/Canada/NE region (don't worry about them)

- The best advice is to go see a game live, that's why I asked if you're around a team. Try and get to a game because you will appreciate it more regardless of location. College hockey, NHL, and AHL are all fairly talented. England definitely has teams around in the EIHL or National ice <br>hockey league . But I understand if you live in like the midlands since I don't think they have many teams. We have some blokes from the UK that are Avs fans here!

- Another way to quickly get acclimated is to play NHL games like EA Sports NHL 2024, but the game isn't very good. If it's your first time though, it should suffice. If you're not a gamer it will probably be a bit slower in learning who's good, who's bad, who's overrated, and who's underrated. Highlight packages are another possible one.

I also highly recommend viewing a Connor McDavid, Patrick Kane, and Nikita Zadorov highlight package. They all bring very different attributes to the sport.

- Someone might be able to help you with a Jayson Tatum comparison in the NHL. Going to quote @Pokecheque @katfude @dahrougem2 @famicommander as my basketball brethren as I am a bit clueless to the sport.

- You're joining in a pretty down year, not going to lie. We won the Cup in 2022, which is why people recommend checking out those vids. However, we have had some cap problems as the NHL has a strict cap (and not a soft cap like the NBA) so we lost a lot of depth from that team. We also lost our captain, Gabriel Landeskog to an injury that required the same procedure that Lozano Ball got. We don't know if he will ever play again long-term, but he will try to play this season. We also lost our beast power forward in Valeri Nichushkin to a drug problem where he was suspended for six months. I am not sure what else to say because his story is wild and has gotten into similar issues in the past. You could write a book on Nichushkin at this point lol.

- We are also a pretty injury-prone team and won the Cup with 3-4 major injuries missing some great players. Our 2022 win was very dominant, we were clearly the best team in the league.

- Players to watch on the Avs: MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Toews, Mittelstadt, and Lehkonen.

- Prospects to watch for the Avs: Cal Ritchie, Sean Behrens, Mikhail Gulyayev, Ilya Nabokov.

- DEFINITELY YouTube Colorado Avalanche vs Detroit Red Wings, it was the '90s version of the LA Lakers vs Boston Celitcs or LA Lakers vs San Antonio Spurs...but with fights. Or in UK terms, Celtic vs Rangers or Man United vs LFC or Milwall vs West Ham United.

- The teams we hate sort of vary nowadays since Red Wings moved to the Eastern Conference. I would say that most Av fans on this board immensely dislike the Edmonton Oilers, but more for fans than their actual team. We have more intense rivalries with the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild with their actual teams as of now. We also have had some big run-ins with the Arizona Coyotes, which moved to become the Utah Hockey Club (this could expand if Utah becomes better).

- If you ever want to get into it and start playing, I recommend this bloke.

Shit! All those years wasted playing and coaching.

All I needed was this You Tube video........ lol

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
I will pray for you

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think some of the posts here may have scared the new guy away. He’s probably gone now. Some of you guys are just rude. I can’t believe I’ve been posting here for 40 years

Ad

Ad

Ad