NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I guess if I`m a GM and trust me, nobody here wants that, I understand the game is a business and players want to get paid and it sounds like this kid has potential but still, it`s not like he went out and produced huge numbers, they were solid for a kid who based on what I just read on Hockeydb he played essentially his first full season with a sprinkle of games in previous one`s. Seems just a touch premature to be holding a stance like he and his agent are with precisely one season under his belt where he almost but didn`t touch 30pts. Now, if the kid went out, popped 25-30, maybe added the same in assists, might be a bit of a different conversation but still, one season, IMO, doesn`t give the kid the leverage IMO

Of course, as with any trade proposal, it all depends on what is going the other way. I would love Josh Anderson on my team and would take him in a heartbeat if the price is right. He would instantly be on the Bruins opening night lineup.

There are a lot of rumors going around. Neither side will confirm or deny the trade request. One rumor has them just $125,000 apart on a two year deal at $2 million. Another says that this is about how Anderson was treated during negotiations and that there are "hurt feelings".

My gut tells me this is a sign and trade situation. Unless Jarmo can mend the fence.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Of course, as with any trade proposal, it all depends on what is going the other way. I would love Josh Anderson on my team and would take him in a heartbeat if the price is right. He would instantly be on the Bruins opening night lineup.

There are a lot of rumors going around. Neither side will confirm or deny the trade request. One rumor has them just $125,000 apart on a two year deal at $2 million. Another says that this is about how Anderson was treated during negotiations and that there are "hurt feelings".

My gut tells me this is a sign and trade situation. Unless Jarmo can mend the fence.

Dom,

I'm with you, would love Anderson on this team and think he would be a great fit. He would give them something they are currently lacking, a physical presence that can actually play the game.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Jimmy Hayes earned a contract from the Devils. One year 700k.

I bet there's a large portion of people on here that thought he wouldn't see another NHL deal.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Not overly shocked he got a deal. Was always going to be a PTO and him having to earn a slot. He had a good enough preseason.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

I bet there's a large portion of people on here that thought he wouldn't see another NHL deal.
Would not have have predicted that in a million years. Have to wonder if he has finally shown something that was simply not seen during his time in Boston that warranted the deal or if Jersey is reaching in an attempt to fill out its roster.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would not have have predicted that in a million years. Have to wonder if he has finally shown something that was simply not seen during his time in Boston that warranted the deal or if Jersey is reaching in an attempt to fill out its roster.

He looked very strong in training camp. He's second cousins I believe with the Devils AGM which is probably why he came to NJ on the PTO. Devils could use another veteran in their bottom six (as well as a guy they can bench if the kids are playing) and his competition at RW (Speers, Lappin, McLeod, etc.) didn't have strong camps.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

if that`s all they are apart in terms of dollars Dom, for the kid not to sign he must be a touch bitter, any signs of attitude issues with him that you have heard of? I dunno, I guess I always have questions about these scenarios with a young kid who, from all I have read here about him from those who have seen him play often is he`s tough, has some skill and upside but man, wasn`t like he blew the doors off the NHL this past year was it?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
if that`s all they are apart in terms of dollars Dom, for the kid not to sign he must be a touch bitter, any signs of attitude issues with him that you have heard of? I dunno, I guess I always have questions about these scenarios with a young kid who, from all I have read here about him from those who have seen him play often is he`s tough, has some skill and upside but man, wasn`t like he blew the doors off the NHL this past year was it?

You are reading way too much into this Andrew. Sometimes players are unhappy in their current situation. It doesn't mean there is a character problem.

As for the stats let me ask you what you expected for his first full season and then we'll talk. You've mentioned it a few times as well and seem stuck on it (along with character)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Anderson isn't a bad player and at his age he can definitely grow, but I'd beware of either paying a lot in a trade or giving him a big contract. I don't think he's going to be a career 14% shooter, his assist/60min was similar to Czarnik and Dom Moore, he takes a large amount of penalties, on a team that was pretty good at outshooting opponents he was the 2nd worst F on the team in possession #s...for a "phsyical" grinder guy he doesn't kill penalties...

If you want him because he's young and you think he's a good bottom 6 guy cool... but paying for him like his 17 goals are going to be a regular thing seems to be a very Belskey-like move.

Every year some bottom line guy puts up decent goals with an unsustainable shooting pct. Comeau did it, I think Eaves did it last year, Ryan Jones did it, the aforementioned Beleskey.... It's not the kind of player I'd bet on.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Back from a preaseason game between the Habs farm team (Rockets) and the Sens farm team.
Just wanted to share something.
In the second, Mike McCarron blatantly went for a knee-on-knee hit on a Sens player while the score was 4-1 for the Rockets. :mad:
I told my GF, just watch number 11 of the Sens go after him after his penalty over.
As predicted, number 11 went after McCarron and asked him for a "little dance", but the 6,6 so-called big guy from the Habs simply refused the invitation, :( and the ref gave number 11 a penalty. :mad:
Number 11 was (and still is) Tyler Randell.
Damn, I would have like to see that. :(

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I definitely thought he wouldn't see another deal. I just assumed he would retire from hockey or go to Europe. Good for him.

Good for the Devils, though? Maybe...

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
He looked very strong in training camp. He's second cousins I believe with the Devils AGM which is probably why he came to NJ on the PTO. Devils could use another veteran in their bottom six (as well as a guy they can bench if the kids are playing) and his competition at RW (Speers, Lappin, McLeod, etc.) didn't have strong camps.
Good for him. Hope he takes advantage of the opportunity and gets his career back on track.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
With Chabot sent down, I think we are down to just 2 new defenseman from the 2015 Draft starting the season in the NHL.

1st round:
Hanifin (20)
Provorov (20)
Werenski (20)

2nd round:
Carlo (20)
Dunn (20) ***New***

4th round:
Mironov (23) ***New***

7th round:
Nutivaara (23)

Chabot is going to be very good but he needs to learn to play defense. He really does seem like a Karlsson clone and it took him 5 or 6 years from his draft year before he became solid defensively. The playoff caliber Sens don't need to rush him and risk losing games.

I think Zboril and Lauzon are still on track and likely to see a game or two this year the way Grzelcyk and O'Gara got a couple of games last year. This is the 'best and deepest' draft in a dozen years and 3 years on we only have 4 (maybe 5) 1st year eligible defenseman who have made it. It shows that defense can take a while.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
First Hayes turns a PTO into a contract with the Devils and now it appears that Griffith is making good on his PTO opportunity. Seems to be fitting in well with a couple high end line mates no less.

From Prohockey:https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/10/afternoon-notes-tippett-griffith-hunt.html

• Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News writes that Buffalo Sabres free agent signee Seth Griffith has not just made the team, but is currently practicing with Jack Eichel and Evander Kane on the first line. Whether that holds up is unknown, but the 24-year-old journeyman who played for three different teams last year, has impressed Buffalo management. “His attitude is infectious,” head coach Phil Housley said. “He’s got to play like he has been the last two games. He has to be up in the forecheck. I know he’s a smaller guy but he finds way to get pucks and win puck battles.”

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Nick Deslauriers should be claimed by the Bs. I know everyone hates physical players, but we could use him.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Tom Wilson follows up his 2 game suspension by returning to play the Caps final pre season game and gets tossed for running a player into the boards from behind. The game was not televised so there may not be video footage for the league to review. He has become public enemy #1 for his antics by many teams and fans in the league.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-after-boarding-major/?utm_term=.18582430314d

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
With Chabot sent down, I think we are down to just 2 new defenseman from the 2015 Draft starting the season in the NHL.

1st round:
Hanifin (20)
Provorov (20)
Werenski (20)

2nd round:
Carlo (20)
Dunn (20) ***New***

4th round:
Mironov (23) ***New***

7th round:
Nutivaara (23)

Chabot is going to be very good but he needs to learn to play defense. He really does seem like a Karlsson clone and it took him 5 or 6 years from his draft year before he became solid defensively. The playoff caliber Sens don't need to rush him and risk losing games.

I think Zboril and Lauzon are still on track and likely to see a game or two this year the way Grzelcyk and O'Gara got a couple of games last year. This is the 'best and deepest' draft in a dozen years and 3 years on we only have 4 (maybe 5) 1st year eligible defenseman who have made it. It shows that defense can take a while.

Thank you for posting this.

I was surprised to see Chabot sent down. I thought he had already been elected to the HHOF...

Reactions: 00BW and Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
First Hayes turns a PTO into a contract with the Devils and now it appears that Griffith is making good on his PTO opportunity. Seems to be fitting in well with a couple high end line mates no less.

From Prohockey:https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/10/afternoon-notes-tippett-griffith-hunt.html

• Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News writes that Buffalo Sabres free agent signee Seth Griffith has not just made the team, but is currently practicing with Jack Eichel and Evander Kane on the first line. Whether that holds up is unknown, but the 24-year-old journeyman who played for three different teams last year, has impressed Buffalo management. “His attitude is infectious,” head coach Phil Housley said. “He’s got to play like he has been the last two games. He has to be up in the forecheck. I know he’s a smaller guy but he finds way to get pucks and win puck battles.”

Griffith seems like a great kid, but he's more pumpkin than golden carriage. The clock will strike 12 soon enough even with Eichel as his C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad