Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like some teams' front offices are back from the cottage and getting back to work with the number of signings announced over the last few days.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I saw Eric Staal is retiring & totally forgot he even played for us.

One of my least favorite Sabres of all time. He was so washed then and yet still played over 90 more games in the NHL after departing.

Funny that he went to Montreal for a third, that third was used on Bloom and thus turned into Stillman. Not much of a trade tree, kind of DOA...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All the arbitration cases have been settled. Doesn’t look like there will be anyone shaking free.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
With Necas signing a two year deal to take him to UFA…does that mean Peters was incidentally correct even though he framed it as a personal slight that he wasn’t interested in an extension if we traded for him? Because he wasn’t interested in one there either. He wanted UFA and he signed to get to UFA. So he either turned something Necas wasn’t looking to do anywhere into an anti-Buffalo report…or he just had one of his made up guesses kind of pan out that way and still make him look like a jackass.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Given what he likely made via TV and the podcast, I would be surprised if that were the case.
I don't think you realize how much money they were bringing in via advertising on his two podcast combined, considering the large listenership. He made much less than they were pulling in.

Even if he just starts two new podcasts that take in half of the revenue in ad dollars, he'd still make much more than he made as on-air talent. Plus, if he starts a network that puts out other podcasts, he makes money off those too. The sky really is the limit when you have talent, connections, and name recognition he does.

Plus, any job gets stale after 12 years or whatever it was.

I guarantee that when the career of Jeff Merek is over, he'll look back on this as the best thing that ever happened to him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think you realize how much money they were bringing in via advertising on his two podcast combined, considering the large listenership. He made much less than they were pulling in.

Even if he just starts two new podcasts that take in half of the revenue in ad dollars, he'd still make much more than he made as on-air talent. Plus, if he starts a network that puts out other podcasts, he makes money off those too. The sky really is the limit when you have talent, connections, and name recognition he does.

Plus, any job gets stale after 12 years or whatever it was.

I guarantee that when the career of Jeff Merek is over, he'll look back on this as the best thing that ever happened to him.
Given the big media companies behind his radio show and 32 Thoughts, it will be hard to generate a ton of ad revenue from the drop.

Plus, running a podcast network is way different than being the talent on a podcast.

It could be a great thing. Or, it could be a rough one. Only time will tell.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It could be a great thing. Or, it could be a rough one. Only time will tell.
You could literally say that about anything -- why even bother posting this? It's a complete waste of space and time to say "this could work out, or it could not" about anything.

At least stick to your original stance that you don't think it will work out for him finacially...at least you had an opinion that could be proven wrong eventually.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You could literally say that about anything -- why even bother posting this? It's a complete waste of space and time to say "this could work out, or it could not" about anything.

At least stick to your original stance that you don't think it will work out for him finacially...at least you had an opinion that could be proven wrong eventually.
It might, but you are making a ton of assumptions about Marek's skills in the business and production realm outside of the actual on-air talent piece that he obviously has in spades.

There are a ton of people in the sports podcasting world that are not rolling in the dough. And it is a highly competitive market that makes success a lot more challenging than breaking away from a well supported podcast to do an indy thing a slam dunk success.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
what happened about paying people if they actually do the work for you
In passion professions, like working in sports, you an environment that is ripe for employers to take advantage of employees and potential employees.

The strength and conditioning world is a great example. There are plenty of people that have had 40+ hour work weeks for unpaid internships with big time college programs early in their careers. It's gnarly. But, the employers can get away with it because the supply of people in the industry often outpaces openings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad