Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It comes with the people who ran it. Those guys are probably the real value, they can build on the CF platform to integrate all sorts of other info their FO may have from scouting reports, analytics, etc.

So they bought it to build a dashboard? I guess it's not unthinkable, but I'm surprised it wasn't easier to acquire this else-wise, or that they didn't already have an internal product.

You know, my skepticism is unwarranted it does sound easier dealing with CF personnel than some consultant group.

I mean, the value in cap friendly was that they were able to get accurate contract info pretty quickly. The capitals already have access to that.

They had a good interface, but its something that would be relatively easy to recreate if it were someone's fulltime job.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Sucks to be a Coyote's fan.

My youth teams used to visit Phoenix for tournaments. Some pretty good hockey programs were developed out there. I hope the sport remains vibrant in AZ.

Gonna be tough. AZ isn't Manitoba.
That might be good news for Coyotes fans if they can find another owner that's interested.

Meruelo was an awful owner.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
So they bought it to build a dashboard? I guess it's not unthinkable, but I'm surprised it wasn't easier to acquire this else-wise, or that they didn't already have an internal product.

You know, my skepticism is unwarranted it does sound easier dealing with CF personnel than some consultant group.
Yeah, they are paying for the already developed infrastructure and proven development staff. It is usually cheaper to buy a business than develop into that space (very debatable in this instance, since it is a fairly rudimentary database with APIs), but I can definitely understand the motivation.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Yeah, they are paying for the already developed infrastructure and proven development staff. It is usually cheaper to buy a business than develop into that space (very debatable in this instance, since it is a fairly rudimentary database with APIs), but I can definitely understand the motivation.
On top of that, I don't underestimate the extent to which it will annoy other teams who now have to build new models if they don't already have their own, and it means that nobody else is able to do the same thing to them. Simple or not, it's just one more thing that other teams have to deal with that the Caps now don't. Not a game breaking move by any means, but a shrewd one nonetheless.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
On top of that, I don't underestimate the extent to which it will annoy other teams who now have to build new models if they don't already have their own, and it means that nobody else is able to do the same thing to them. Simple or not, it's just one more thing that other teams have to deal with that the Caps now don't. Not a game breaking move by any means, but a shrewd one nonetheless.

This just can't be that big of a deal. At worst you have interns make excel spreadsheets for each time similar to what someone on here has done. That's not to diminish the work, from what I understand that spreadsheet predates capgeek so it shows real innovation.

Personnally what I'd want as an NHL team is to cross capfriendly with something like Dooberprospects. That way you'd have on page NHLe with the salary data. Add in whatever proprietary possession data you internally develop and baby you got a stew going.

That's really good, I almost clicked to buy tickets.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

That's all well and good, but there was nothing wrong with the name "Bridgeport Sound Tigers". Bridgeport isn't even on an island. It's just part of Lou Lamoriello insisting the AHL club have the same name as the parent. He did the same thing when the old Albany River Rats changed their affiliation to New Jersey and despite years of brand equity and fan loyalty changed the name to the Albany Devils anyway.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
We also don't know what the purchase price is as well. If that info was public knowledge, I could also see a bunch of people going "wait, my team couldn't beat that?".

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This just can't be that big of a deal. At worst you have interns make excel spreadsheets for each time similar to what someone on here has done. That's not to diminish the work, from what I understand that spreadsheet predates capgeek so it shows real innovation.

Personnally what I'd want as an NHL team is to cross capfriendly with something like Dooberprospects. That way you'd have on page NHLe with the salary data. Add in whatever proprietary possession data you internally develop and baby you got a stew going.

That's really good, I almost clicked to buy tickets.

Ha. It shoulda been a thing to show that Bridgeport is now using the Fisherman logo

That's all well and good, but there was nothing wrong with the name "Bridgeport Sound Tigers". Bridgeport isn't even on an island. It's just part of Lou Lamoriello insisting the AHL club have the same name as the parent. He did the same thing when the old Albany River Rats changed their affiliation to New Jersey and despite years of brand equity and fan loyalty changed the name to the Albany Devils anyway.

I dislike when teams use the same name and jersey look as the NHL parent. At least if you want to do the name, change the jersey look.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

I think those were different franchises. The River Rats moved and were replaced by the Devils.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think those were different franchises. The River Rats moved and were replaced by the Devils.

Actually you're right. The River Rats moved to Charlotte and became the latest version of the Checkers and I believe Binghamton moved to Albany but I'm sure they still could have grabbed the River Rats name.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Actually you're right. The River Rats moved to Charlotte and became the latest version of the Checkers and I believe Binghamton moved to Albany but I'm sure they still could have grabbed the River Rats name.

Yeah you'd think that IP isn't prohibitively expensive; unfortunately I doubt it's particularly valuable.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That might be good news for Coyotes fans if they can find another owner that's interested.

Meruelo was an awful owner.
Agree. But....... The year I moved to Colorado, the Hockey Rockies left town. Went to a lot of games at McNichols that last season. But it was an empty arena.

It took 13 years to get an NHL franchise back. And we had to steal a franchise from Quebec to get it here. Sorry Frenchie.....

In the interim, this area was a hockey wasteland (DU was pretty bad at the same time. CC was the only program worth following.)

That's why I really feel bad for the Coyote fans

Reactions: Jacob582

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It comes with the people who ran it. Those guys are probably the real value, they can build on the CF platform to integrate all sorts of other info their FO may have from scouting reports, analytics, etc.
The way this stuff works is the talent have some equity and get a retention package (usually 1-3 years), but when the new ownership starts to try and recoup their investment, they scare away the people, who are the value. It's basically 2 guys, both Canadian tech people. The revenue model is a bit suspect, and when you read up on the acquisition, it looks like these guys were just looking for a pay-out/exit strategy. If there dream was to work in hockey, that is coming to a crashing halt.

I'm sort of curious how a US based company buying Canadian IP is going to work out for them. Certainly a non-compete will not hold up, so we may see something new popping back up from the same people in a few years. I am pretty sure someone is going to step in here - it just looks like a shit-ton of work.

Edit - so I see Zrim was given an internal exec position on the Caps staff while it looks like maybe Davis is staying with the tech? LinkedIn has the company as 2-10 people.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad