Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 19th and 31st overall picks

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Here's the other thing....

The big 4 plus Kelly is one of the better top 5s in the league, but the team would be awful when they come off because their next best big man is Boucher on a good day and one of Mogbo/Agbaji on a bad one. Part of the reason to get another guy is for balance.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
As I look at the payrolls, I see a few teams that are getting close to luxury tax with bad rosters...

Portland is 3M away with some guys coming up for extensions soon. Charlotte is 16M away, but have a bunch of extensions coming up in the next 2 years, so they will have to make some tough decisions on who they extend.

Detroit has a great situation today, but it is going to get much worse in a hurry as they have will have to re-sign guys in the next couple of years. They will have some tough calls.

Brooklyn OTOH is terrible today and about to get significantly better after this year (with Simmons expiring).

Atlanta is a little over 1M away, with some extensions coming due soon.

Chicago is getting close, but they might be closer than all of the above teams to getting better.

In terms of good teams, Cleveland is about 9.7M away.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Big win for Canada in the Olympics.

If France wins over Germany by 3 or less, Canada plays Brazil in the QF (they'd be a top 2 seed and Greece is a bottom 2 with the caveat that they can't play each other).

If Canada is the 3, then their opponent is lower +/- team of Germany/France/South Sudan/Serbia that finishes 2nd.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020

Fernando, 25, played 45 games last season with the Atlanta Hawks, averaging 6.3 points and 4.3 rebounds while playing just over 15 minutes a night.
Not a bad addition as a backup C that can provide some D, especially with Kelly looking pretty bad on the defensive end at the Olympics.

There had been lots of whispers that they’d re-sign Koloko when he gets cleared. I guess that could still happen, but this move shores up the C position and makes that move a little less likely.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Not a bad addition as a backup C that can provide some D, especially with Kelly looking pretty bad on the defensive end at the Olympics.

There had been lots of whispers that they’d re-sign Koloko when he gets cleared. I guess that could still happen, but this move shores up the C position and makes that move a little less likely.
This is non-guaranteed so they still could, but it would likely be an either/or situation.

Any larger move is going to involve Brown.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
This is non-guaranteed so they still could, but it would likely be an either/or situation.

Any larger move is going to involve Brown.
I’ve read conflicting reports on that. Some say it’s non guaranteed and becomes guaranteed if he makes the roster. Others say it’s already guaranteed.

Either way it’s a minimum deal ($2.4M) so not a huge deal if they decide to let him go.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Any truth to the reports Kawhi Leonard is going to retire? Why did this man ever even leave Toronto? Who the hell wins a professional championship and then doesn't try to repeat with the same club the next year?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I’ve read conflicting reports on that. Some say it’s non guaranteed and becomes guaranteed if he makes the roster. Others say it’s already guaranteed.

Either way it’s a minimum deal ($2.4M) so not a huge deal if they decide to let him go.
its confirmed non guaranteed multiple sites ie. spotrac
money becomes guaranteed if he makes the roster

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Any truth to the reports Kawhi Leonard is going to retire? Why did this man ever even leave Toronto? Who the hell wins a professional championship and then doesn't try to repeat with the same club the next year?

No chance he's leaving that money on the table. He will continue to sit games out it he's not healthy... sucks for the Clippers but Raptors likely dogged a bullet. It's not out of the question he comes back in dominating form but it gets less likely the older he gets, and the more injuries that pile up.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
No chance he's leaving that money on the table. He will continue to sit games out it he's not healthy... sucks for the Clippers but Raptors likely dogged a bullet. It's not out of the question he comes back in dominating form but it gets less likely the older he gets, and the more injuries that pile up.
He's all business. There's no way he leaves money on the table or does anyone a favour. His goal will always be to make sure he's ready for the playoffs and make his bank.

Reactions: Ale Brew

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

A low IQ individual. He will not retire though.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Didn’t the raps have the hardest strength of schedule last year, too?
Or am I thinking this years Jays?

I am unsure about that. It may be a silver lining.... tough schedule, young developing core players, learn some tough lessons and get a good pick in a good draft or they over achieve and guys are ahead of schedule. I'm skeptical they will just based on their depth and age of their best players but that's why they play the games. Hopefully overall a healthy season, don't mind watching guys develop when you know they are here long term.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad