Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Cute the "Red Wings are better than us because they signed more guys" comments...

Screenshot_20240703_174451_Photos.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Dubi Doo

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Let's not delude ourselves. Players willingly go to high tax locations that have a history of winning and are contenders. NYC. Toronto, LA, etc.

Players see dysfunction and inability to ice a competitive team in Buffalo. There's a reason why its understood across the league that Buffalo is on many no-trade lists.

It's not the taxes.
Also the internal salary cap. Nothing scares players off more than an internal cap - the main signifier of an unserious franchise.

Cute the "Red Wings are better than us because they signed more guys" comments...

View attachment 892009
They’re better than us because they have a better team on the ice, better owner, better scouting department and better management across the board.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Also the internal salary cap. Nothing scares players off more than an internal cap - the main signifier of an unserious franchise.

They’re better than us because they have a better team on the ice, better owner, better scouting department and better management across the board.
One season with 91 points in the last five years, and they're better across the board? Please.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Wings attack looks good, a mix of experience and youth. But their defense looks very questionable. The goalies are unknown. I think we can beat them if we don't have any injury problems and the players understand Ruff's system pretty quickly.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
everyone thought the Wings were going to be good this past season,

how'd that work out ?
EVeryone thought the Sabres were going to be good this past season

How'd that work out?

See how stupid that sounds? They at least try to do stuff

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
EVeryone thought the Sabres were going to be good this past season

How'd that work out?

See how stupid that sounds? They at least try to do stuff
Mitts* out for Byram+
Granato for Ruff
Skinner* out.
Olofsson* for Zucker.
Jost, Z, Ok* for Beck+, Lafferty+, NAK+
Comrie for Reimer.

* - in the bottom quintile for speed bursts on ice last year.
+ - in the top quintile.

They wanted to be faster. They wanted a tougher bottom six. They wanted better on-ice structure.

Changes should increase offensive zone starts. Improve possession. Improve power play. Increase depth. This should lead to a stronger goal differential and additional points in the standings.

This is stuff they (Sabres) have done since March. Will it work out? I dunno.

But, it's not nothing.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
everyone thought the Wings were going to be good this past season,

how'd that work out ?
When you say everybody, you mean the people that said that Detroit would be with Buffalo in contention for the final playoff spot.

And as they had a very inconsistent yet more successful season than Buffalo and probably would’ve made the playoffs with Larkin not having his injury issues.

Meanwhile, the Buffalo Sabres at moments where they controlled their fate, in the two most important games of the season, against the same Red Wings, woefully came unprepared and unmotivated to win the games.

Glass Houses people. Put down the rocks.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
When you say everybody, you mean the people that said that Detroit would be with Buffalo in contention for the final playoff spot.

And as they had a very inconsistent yet more successful season than Buffalo and probably would’ve made the playoffs with Larkin not having his injury issues.

Meanwhile, the Buffalo Sabres at moments where they controlled their fate, in the two most important games of the season, against the same Red Wings, woefully came unprepared and unmotivated to win the games.

Glass Houses people. Put down the rocks.
Both teams failed, so let's stop giving a hoot about them. Let's stop getting pissy every year OTT or DET makes a move. They're irrelevant until they prove they can make the playoffs just like us. Getting annoyed that teams who continously finish outside the playoffs is like punching the air.

And let's not pretend Buffalo didn't have their injury issues, too.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I really hope you end up being right but when I look at this roster and compare it to our competition it doesn't inspire much confidence.
My main concern is our center depth. The wingers can be replaced by other players or kids from Rochester, that's easier. But if one of Cozens or Thompson gets injured, we're screwed. We don't even know what to expect from Krebs, maybe he'll look decent, or maybe he'll look like a 13-f,.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I really hope you end up being right but when I look at this roster and compare it to our competition it doesn't inspire much confidence.
Lots of question marks for sure. I think they can get a WC spot, but we'll need the core guys to step their game up. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: sabremike

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

View attachment 892009
7 point gap last season. I like our prospects better but they have the edge when it chomes to being able to add good players by other means.

Looking at the other teams in our conference it's hard to see how we're going to be top 8 without extreme luck.
I like our chances in 25/26 though unless our leading players want out by then. Not impossible that this becomes a 17/18 or 20/21 style season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad