Around the NHL - Part XLIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Hopefully Tony can pick up a paycheck and play well . So much natural ability . All the tools and no toolbox as they say . I still root for him as I would never wish any person misfortune .

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Tortarella is just a class act. He might be a dick on the bench, but when it matters he is one of the best.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Guess what they will do: give him 1st line minutes and PP1 time from the start, instead of teaching him how to be defensively responsible bottom-6 forward.
If a prospect came in dominated like the above, I would expect nothing less.

Our prospects come in and are like "It's a nice Power play."

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not a single time their first two years did I see Laf or Kakko have a shift where they controlled time and space like that.

Mostly because they were too slow for defenders to respect their advertised high end skill. So they didn't. Because they couldn't.

If the org could brainwash guys, they'd brainwash them for cheaper contracts. The orgs skates don't touch the ice.

Reactions: Profet

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If a prospect came in dominated like the above, I would expect nothing less.

Our prospects come in and are like "It's a nice Power play."
Not a single time their first two years did I see Laf or Kakko have a shift where they controlled time and space like that.

Mostly because they were too slow for defenders to respect their advertised high end skill. So they didn't. Because they couldn't.

If the org could brainwash guys, they'd brainwash them for cheaper contracts. The orgs skates don't touch the ice.
"always the players fault. 100%
good players thrive and earn their role. the authority of coaches to determine what is earned is infallible, no matter the coach. David Quinn - who literally told Kakko he couldn't carry the puck on his backhand - was unassailably justified in his deployment of Kakko in his rookie year. He didn't earn anything more than what he got."

- the posters above, probably

and before you nougats jump on my back about excuses for Kakkos career, i'm talking about his rookie year.

coaching matters. development matters. organizations matter. whatever you think about Kakkos role in the progression of his career, and he is indeed responsible (obviously), if you don't think the Rangers failed him in his first 2 years, there's no conversation to be had.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
"always the players fault. 100%
good players thrive and earn their role. the authority of coaches to determine what is earned is infallible, no matter the coach. David Quinn - who literally told Kakko he couldn't carry the puck on his backhand - was unassailably justified in his deployment of Kakko in his rookie year. He didn't earn anything more than what he got."

- the posters above, probably

and before you nougats jump on my back about excuses for Kakkos career, i'm talking about his rookie year.

coaching matters. development matters. organizations matter. whatever you think about Kakkos role in the progression of his career, and he is indeed responsible (obviously), if you don't think the Rangers failed him in his first 2 years, there's no conversation to be had.

Sigh... no.

Coaching 100% matters. Deployment 100% matters.

But there is something to be said about taking the opportunities you're given, and making the organizations decisions easy.

Celebrini controlling play above has absolutely zero to do with coaching or org strategies. It has everything to do with Celebrini showing he belongs and not even making it a coaching decision. He's there, he's going to be "the guy" on the PP. Why? Because he took the opportunity in the preseason and ran with it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sigh... no.

Coaching 100% matters. Deployment 100% matters.

But there is something to be said about taking the opportunities you're given, and making the organizations decisions easy.

Celebrini controlling play above has absolutely zero to do with coaching or org strategies. It has everything to do with Celebrini showing he belongs and not even making it a coaching decision. He's there, he's going to be "the guy" on the PP. Why? Because he took the opportunity in the preseason and ran with it.
I do remember how Kakko was trying some of that "taking over" in the offensive zone during his first year. Sometimes it would fail (like with any player), and it resulted in him being benched. Then a veteran player would try the same stuff, failed, didn't get benched. Funny how that affects the way you play.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I do remember how Kakko was trying some of that "taking over" in the offensive zone during his first year. Sometimes it would fail (like with any player), and it resulted in him being benched. Then a veteran player would try the same stuff, failed, didn't get benched. Funny how that affects the way you play.
Gotta get him Kreider's sports psychologist if he's still sad about his deployment 5 years ago, 2 coaching staffs ago. It's time to shit or get off the pot for Kakko. He has to show what kind of player he can be for NYR, and then let the team make the decision of where he fits in. Cycling and holding onto the puck in the offensive zone is great; now he has to take the next step which is doing something with that possession.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Gotta get him Kreider's sports psychologist if he's still sad about his deployment 5 years ago, 2 coaching staffs ago. It's time to shit or get off the pot for Kakko. He has to show what kind of player he can be for NYR, and then let the team make the decision of where he fits in. Cycling and holding onto the puck in the offensive zone is great; now he has to take the next step which is doing something with that possession.
Kakko doesn't have the excuses any more in terms of coaching affecting him, he's on his third coach now and I doubt Gallant and Lavi have told him you are benched if you make a mistake. Though deployment has still been an issue. It's quite hard to develop players and contend at the same time.

This affected Lafreniere as well. The way he got out of it was actually playing with better players (Panarin and Tro). Doesn't work with Kakko, because Kreider and Zibanejad (and Panarin) don't fit the style of play Kakko is built for. It is what it is.

tlk

hARry kane comeS homE
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Hopefully Tony can pick up a paycheck and play well . So much natural ability . All the tools and no toolbox as they say . I still root for him as I would never wish any person misfortune .
Hopefully a 1 yr deal is just that - the sign he's set his sights on being back.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kakko had a lot of issues his first year. He was too easily gassed for one. He was getting knocked down all the time and his play away from the puck was horrific.

I think what would have been better for him back then was one more year in Liiiga. He wasn't ready for the NHL that year and IMO he lost his alpha personality and has never really gotten it back. There is almost always a degree of cockiness with the best players on a hockey team. They know their teammates look to them when things get tough to make the plays necessary and they can handle that kind of pressure on them. It can be a real hard thing to get back once you've lost it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think what would have been better for him back then was one more year in Liiiga. He wasn't ready for the NHL that year and IMO he lost his alpha personality and has never really gotten it back. There is almost always a degree of cockiness with the best players on a hockey team. They know their teammates look to them when things get tough to make the plays necessary and they can handle that kind of pressure on them. It can be a real hard thing to get back once you've lost it.
Meh, disagreed. What he would've benefited from would've been a full year in Hartford.

He had pretty much "won all" in Europe. Been the best player (or 2nd best) of his Liiga team, Liiga rookie of the year, won the world juniors AND the men's world championships. No use in staying there, especially for what a shitshow TPS was in 19-20.

What he would've needed was getting comfortable with North American hockey, North American life in general (including language), and playing big minutes getting prime opportunities on the powerplay doing that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad