Around the NHL - Part XLIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Might be worth recapping the story:
ADA yells "make a ****ing save"
ADA owns starting it
Geo had his helmet on and headbutted ADA. Gave him a cut. We know he was hit hard enough to get cut.
ADA whacks Geo on the goalie mask with his stick. We don't know how hard ADA whacks Geo here but we can assume they are pretty much face to face (headbutt distance). Players usually walk the tunnels with one hand on their stick like a walking stick or just at their side. So based on distance, one handed grip, it's probably a whack and not a chop.
Teammates break it up.

Headbutts and face punches should both be egregious. If you are comparing the two, you are just splitting hairs. Headbutting with your helmet on feels more egregious, like on par with hitting someone with an object. A whack to the helmet feels a lot less egregious. This isn't a McSorley chop. He's going to have enough room to generate the power equal to a slap on the head. It's with a stick and ADA has pro-athlete strength so I wouldn't down play his hit either but it's something I'd expect hockey players to experience all the time (unintentionally).

I'm not a very spiteful person but I hope Geo never wins a thing.
Just to be clear... TDA ALSO had his helmet and visor on.
It was not a headbutt to the face... but helmet to helmet.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Laine + 2nd '26 for Harris

That's a straight up bad trade for Gorton. Like I understand the thought process, he has this year and next year and he can score goals but that's an $8.7m contract. If he rebounds, he is going to VERY expensive to retain, and if he doesn't he's an absolute boat anchor. I'm surprised they weren't at least able to off-load someone like Armia or Dvorak on Columbus on this deal

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

That's a straight up bad trade for Gorton. Like I understand the thought process, he has this year and next year and he can score goals but that's an $8.7m contract. If he rebounds, he is going to VERY expensive to retain, and if he doesn't he's an absolute boat anchor. I'm surprised they weren't at least able to off-load someone like Armia or Dvorak on Columbus on this deal
If he is expensive to retain, so what? They paid nothing for him, not going to hurt let him go if that ends up being the case. And highly doubtful he's a boat anchor. People should actually look it up, when he was healthy he was clearly the best player in Columbus, a PPG forward. And Montreal is not exactly contending during the next two years, they just want to make the playoffs.

For me as Montreal, zero risk - high reward. Medium risk - high reward if you really want to stretch it.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
For me as Montreal, zero risk - high reward. Medium risk - high reward if you really want to stretch it.
Glad Gorton is not with the Rangers. Awful overpayment
:laugh: that's a broad range of opinions in a short amount of time. But yes, the price was high (mostly in cap) but outside of the cap, this deal is mostly upside.

But having stated that, according to puckpedia, the Habs are $2M over cap now? Assuming they have another deal for Armia or Dvorak ready otherwise, really bizarre to have zero retention. Waddell said he could have made a deal a month ago if teams weren't asking CLB to retain 50%. 0% though? That's pretty wild. We need to see if it is going to cost the Habs anything to get under cap before giving final trade grades. My guess is CLB wanted a 1st in any deal they were going to retain cap on.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
:laugh: that's a broad range of opinions in a short amount of time. But yes, the price was high (mostly in cap) but outside of the cap, this deal is mostly upside.

But having stated that, according to puckpedia, the Habs are $2M over cap now? Assuming they have another deal for Armia or Dvorak ready otherwise, really bizarre to have zero retention. Waddell said he could have made a deal a month ago if teams weren't asking CLB to retain 50%. 0% though? That's pretty wild. We need to see if it is going to cost the Habs anything to get under cap before giving final trade grades. My guess is CLB wanted a 1st in any deal they were going to retain cap on.
That 2 million over is with is with Carey Price. They will easily get under the ceiling with sending down waiver exempt players on paper transfers, then put Price on LTIR and call up the paper transfers.

They could trade Dvorak or Armia, and get cap compliant without using LTIR on Price. That would probably be optimal to avoid kicking performance bonus overage to next seasons cap.

Reactions: n8

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Do you think Gorton does not have a plan to fit $8.7 under the cap in an effective way? Do you not think Laine has ability to provide goals for franchise that needs goals and if so should worth his $8.7m in the rising cap? Don’t you think if Laine finds success in Montreal he’d be likely to resign on a friendly long-term deal whatever it means after the current one after what he’s gone through in his career so far? And don’t forget the sweetener in the form a BJ’s second that should be pretty high. The downside? Pretty much just his cap hit for only two years. IMO Gorton did well enough.

Reactions: CDN24

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Do you think Gorton does not have a plan to fit $8.7 under the cap in an effective way? Do you not think Laine has ability to provide goals for franchise that needs goals and if so should worth his $8.7m in the rising cap? Don’t you think if Laine finds success in Montreal he’d be likely to resign on a friendly long-term deal whatever it means after the current one after what he’s gone through in his career so far? And don’t forget the sweetener in the form a BJ’s second that should be pretty high. The downside? Pretty much just his cap hit for only two years. IMO Gorton did well enough.

Yes but I have seen Gorton's "plans" in the past.

Reactions: Barnaby and gabevh3

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Well if he succeeds I don't think you get a friendly deal and I'm not sure the right guy to bring in is a guy who is a great powerplay scorer that plays the exact same role as the best goal scorer currently on the team.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not sure why people nutting over St. Louis has deciding to pay Broberg triple what he should get and Holloway double while paying picks for the privilege.

If both guys were drafted in the fifth round instead of the first the reactions would be a lot different. Broberg in particular isn't good while Holloway is just an energy guy at this stage.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's amazing how much interest offer sheets stir up on hfboards. I guess it's the whole will they/won't they match aspect? Neither of these players moves the needle much.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Laine is a serviceable player since he got over the "video game" addition.

He's still not particularly great, but he's serviceable.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Am I the only one who thinks that losing Broberg and Holloway is the epitome of a nothing burger?

Laine to Montreal at least has the potential to be a needle mover though the Habs are doing a great job just compiling good but not great pieces.

Demidov is crazy talented but he’s got a long road ahead of him.

Reactions: kovazub94 and effen

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Laine to Montreal at least has the potential to be a needle mover though the Habs are doing a great job just compiling good but not great pieces.
This is the easiest part of GM'ing -- taking on flawed talent regardless of fit. Dude seems to love that shit.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Am I the only one who thinks that losing Broberg and Holloway is the epitome of a nothing burger?

Demidov is crazy talented but he’s got a long road ahead of him.
Demidov will be top six F in the NHL next season. Doesn’t sound like a long road at all. Slafkovsky looks like he’ll be a legit. top line wing. Those seem like “great pieces” to me. It’s not 1977.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad