Around the NHL - Part XLIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Just saw an article from Bleacher Report claiming Seattle signing Stephenson is the worst signings of the off-season. Thoughts?

$6.25 million for a guy capable of 60 or so points in a top-6 role seems about the going rate these days with the cap going up, all things considered. My main concern would be that he slows down and his game drops off. That said, he's good at the dot and brings experience for that next wave of Seattle players.

Going to be an interesting year or two for Seattle. A lot of their core is aging, and they probably do not want to commit to Eberle, Gourde, Tanev, etc.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Just saw an article from Bleacher Report claiming Seattle signing Stephenson is the worst signings of the off-season. Thoughts?

$6.25 million for a guy capable of 60 or so points in a top-6 role seems about the going rate these days with the cap going up, all things considered. My main concern would be that he slows down and his game drops off. That said, he's good at the dot and brings experience for that next wave of Seattle players.

Going to be an interesting year or two for Seattle. A lot of their core is aging, and they probably do not want to commit to Eberle, Gourde, Tanev, etc.

Terrible defensive player that never shoots that was stapled to one of the best play drivers in the league signed to a good amount of money for a long time to play with much worst linemates. Highly unlikely to work out.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A lot of people remember the Howden-Stephenson-Stone line as being very good and honestly, it wasn't...that good? It was fine. They had a good chance share and a terrible shot share. They shot 15% in the playoffs, so that's a f***in red flag. It was fine for a line with one good player on it.

That whole 2023 run for Vegas was a PDO bender. They're not that good of a team. Or at least they haven't been the last couple of years.

Except Mark Stone. He's as advertised and then some.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We had the DPE and the DPE 2.0

We’re now in the PPE.
There was like a year and a half right after the lockoout where they called a penalty for pretty much any contact. The league adjusted to it, and adjusted to it by committing penalties so often that they had to stop calling them!

Aside from that, the DPE pretty much lasted from 1998ish to like 2018.

And the whole clutching and grabbing thing isn't any better, oddly enough. I think the rise in scoring is due to equipment. These sticks are basically metal at this point and they flex like rubber.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Oilers have a week to sort out what they're going to do but if they hold on to Broberg and/or Holloway they're going to have to make roster moves to get to cap compliance before the season starts and it will be a serious roster player or two. If either of them goes to the Blues here the compensation sucks.

We should bank this in the memory for next year and not let Lafreniere, Miller or Igor linger unsigned for too long.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Oilers have a week to sort out what they're going to do but if they hold on to Broberg and/or Holloway they're going to have to make roster moves to get to cap compliance before the season starts and it will be a serious roster player or two. If either of them goes to the Blues here the compensation sucks.

We should bank this in the memory for next year and not let Lafreniere, Miller or Igor linger unsigned for too long.
1 week to trade Evander Kane.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
1 week to trade Evander Kane.

I don't think they want to trade Evander Kane so they can overpay their third pairing defenseman. He's also injured and probably going on LTIR so they can push the decision out on how to make space (for Holloway) until later in the season, if need be.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I don't think they want to trade Evander Kane so they can overpay their third pairing defenseman. He's also injured and probably going on LTIR so they can push the decision out on how to make space (for Holloway) until later in the season, if need be.

The above seems like the easiest way to handle. Kane still hasn't had the surgery (potentially 2 surgeries, both sports hernia and hip). And technically there is nothing in the CBA that prevents Kane from taking his time in getting it done (just before training camp opposed to today).

And when Kane would be eligible/able to return, there is a high likelihood there might be another high salary player who is injured during the season.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
That’s how you know the KHL report is probably true and he’s on his way out of the league. Giving an interview for some shit no one has cared about in years to make him look better lol

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Broberg at $4.58M seems ridiculous. The kid has 81 games over 3 seasons. He's capable but can't say he'll be missed. Take the 2nd. Sign Holloway. Oilers could have used Kylington. What they really need is a RHD though. Imagine Bouchard gets injured and Ceci is your top RHD?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I didn't hear about the headbutt or stick to the helmet. Headbutt is unhinged. With the helmet. WTH.
Maybe a cultural thing, but for me a headbutt is far less egregious than a punch to the head.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Maybe a cultural thing, but for me a headbutt is far less egregious than a punch to the head.
Might be worth recapping the story:
ADA yells "make a ****ing save"
ADA owns starting it
Geo had his helmet on and headbutted ADA. Gave him a cut. We know he was hit hard enough to get cut.
ADA whacks Geo on the goalie mask with his stick. We don't know how hard ADA whacks Geo here but we can assume they are pretty much face to face (headbutt distance). Players usually walk the tunnels with one hand on their stick like a walking stick or just at their side. So based on distance, one handed grip, it's probably a whack and not a chop.
Teammates break it up.

Headbutts and face punches should both be egregious. If you are comparing the two, you are just splitting hairs. Headbutting with your helmet on feels more egregious, like on par with hitting someone with an object. A whack to the helmet feels a lot less egregious. This isn't a McSorley chop. He's going to have enough room to generate the power equal to a slap on the head. It's with a stick and ADA has pro-athlete strength so I wouldn't down play his hit either but it's something I'd expect hockey players to experience all the time (unintentionally).

I'm not a very spiteful person but I hope Geo never wins a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad