Around the NHL - Part XLIII

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So what happened with Jeff Marek?
I was curious immediately the week after free agency. He didn't partake in the coverage, didn't do the last episodes of his own radio show, no final 32 thoughts episode, total radio silence in social media...

I for one don't buy the claim that his contract was simply up on July 1st and they couldn't come to an agreement. I'm sure even if that was the case, something would've been worked out that extended his contract a few days to finish off the season. Something fishy clearly happened.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I know that we don't know these people's personal lives and that we shouldn't count out anything fishy/suspicious/scandalous of other people we don't know even if they seem great and wholesome on the surface, but I can't believe Jeff Marek capable of anything outside of something random like some gambling issues on midget hockey and being taken away from the NHL draft by some local mobsters that were hired to bring him to the main mafia group running the gambling ring he's in. Friedman witnessed this, has PTSD about it and is coping hard, and hence why he called it a "red eye flight" on the last 32T pod.

• Haha
Reactions: Harbour Dog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
32T was the best podcast. Capfriendly is gone. 32T is gone. It won't be the same pod if they replace Marek with Amber.
I will miss daily Jeff Marek podcasts (where EF was more of a sidekick) even more. TBH I don’t know why he’d even need Sportsnet at this point - he’s the show.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

How does this contract get close to paying out? Faber would have to be a 60-70 point player each year for this contract to make sense. I guess they believe this is going to happen but given their history, it's going to become another Ryan Suter contract after a few years. EDIT - if he doesn't pan out.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

How does this contract get close to paying out? Faber would have to be a 60-70 point player each year for this contract to make sense. I guess they believe this is going to happen but given their history, it's going to become another Ryan Suter contract after a few years.

Suter?

Faber is 21 and did exceptionally with despite having to handle a massive work load. Think this is a terrific deal for the Wild. He's very, very, very good and will only get better. He doesn't need to put up globs of points to be worth it (though I think his production will remain pretty strong) as he's already legit good defensively. He's screamed McDonagh to me ever since before he was drafted and nothing has really changed on that end for me.

There have been long term contracts to guys handed out this summer that I haven't liked (Slafkovsky for one) but this one is a slam dunk.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Just want to say, as I read it in the Lindgren thread - Markstrom is not some incredible goalie. He let up 17 goals in the last 5 games of the season. And he’s 34 f*cking years old.

Devs D is good but not world beater status. And Hamilton has issues staying healthy.

That team pretty much lives and dies by Jack Hughes being able to withstand a full season playing against men.

We shall see.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Just want to say, as I read it in the Lindgren thread - Markstrom is not some incredible goalie. He let up 17 goals in the last 5 games of the season. And he’s 34 f*cking years old.

Devs D is good but not world beater status. And Hamilton has issues staying healthy.

That team pretty much lives and dies by Jack Hughes being able to withstand a full season playing against men.

We shall see.
A healthy Hamilton would make a big difference. I feel like he was a big part of making Vitek Vanacek into a 33 W goalie. Less so than Brunette's impact but we'll have to see what an impact Jeremy Colliton can have. They pretty much only have up to go this season. We'll still ****'n crush them.

Reactions: Rongomania

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Do you mean of the trades where we were going for a run? The infamous Jari Kurri trade with LA has to be worse than E Staal. McD JT -> TB was a TDL move too but we weren't making a run that year.
Yeah, going-on-run trades, and the Kurri one was pretty gross too

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Suter?

Faber is 21 and did exceptionally with despite having to handle a massive work load. Think this is a terrific deal for the Wild. He's very, very, very good and will only get better. He doesn't need to put up globs of points to be worth it (though I think his production will remain pretty strong) as he's already legit good defensively. He's screamed McDonagh to me ever since before he was drafted and nothing has really changed on that end for me.

There have been long term contracts to guys handed out this summer that I haven't liked (Slafkovsky for one) but this one is a slam dunk.
Suter IF he doesn't pan out. I think McD is fair but I'd put this contract on par with Doughty's extension. There is definitely room for this contract to blossom but the number is so high, it sounds risky.

I think Doughty's 8x7 extension was like 10.8% of the cap
Faber's is like 9.66%
McD signed 6x4.75 or like 7.3%

7.3% of today's cap is more like $6.5M which is where I'd expect the contract to be. $7.5M would be the high side (8.5%). I mean it's a fine contract but there is a lot of pressure for him to deliver now. Some people thought Trouba would live up to his AAV coming off a 50 point season in WPG and now that contract is the bane of our organization. The point isn't to compare Trouba to Faber. The point is that if you don't meet expectations, people can sour real quick on a contract.

Anyways, Faber's contract feels a lot better than Guhle's. I know the Canadians are high on the kid but not sure what he's accomplished to deserve a $5.55M AAV
EDIT: everyone on the main board seems to love the deal so I will just accept that I am old and out of touch. When their fans say he's their 2nd best D after Matheson, I'm just thinking their team is bad.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Suter IF he doesn't pan out. I think McD is fair but I'd put this contract on par with Doughty's extension. There is definitely room for this contract to blossom but the number is so high, it sounds risky.

I think Doughty's 8x7 extension was like 10.8% of the cap
Faber's is like 9.66%
McD signed 6x4.75 or like 7.3%

7.3% of today's cap is more like $6.5M which is where I'd expect the contract to be. $7.5M would be the high side (8.5%). I mean it's a fine contract but there is a lot of pressure for him to deliver now. Some people thought Trouba would live up to his AAV coming off a 50 point season in WPG and now that contract is the bane of our organization. The point isn't to compare Trouba to Faber. The point is that if you don't meet expectations, people can sour real quick on a contract.

Anyways, Faber's contract feels a lot better than Guhle's. I know the Canadians are high on the kid but not sure what he's accomplished to deserve a $5M+ AAV

The point I was trying to make was he was a rookie who got super heavy usage (and his play definitely dipped in the 2nd half, rookie wall and all) who still had positive output despite that. Very reasonable bet to continue to improve and he'll play with better players too (he was great with Brodin, less great with Middleton+fatigue. Partners matter and as an aside, it makes what Fox has done here all the more impressive.)

Guhle's contract is definitely more of a risk as he hasn't at least shown some level of sustained success at this level. I'm a fan of his but I'll full admit that its more about the idea of what he can be than what he's shown so far. He isn't as polished as Faber (few are) and theres no guarantee that he can put it together, but he doesn't need to cash in on his ceiling for that deal to be a good one either (he does need to get better though.)

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Noah Dobson played golf behind us yesterday at our local course . Good news for Ranger fans....he did not put on an extra ounce of muscle this Summer.....a real beanpole ! However....he can hit a golf ball a long ways from the Blue pins..... it was a slow round and we were held up at every hole as such them just being two always got to watch us tee off . They were walking the course and lugging their bags at the hottest time of the day . I spoke with him a couple of times and I really was not sure who he was but I had my suspicions . We had to leave our game early and did not finish but when I got home I looked him up and it was him . I wish I had of known it was him as I would have mentioned Rempe to get a reaction LOL.....Pretty mild mannered young man . He always gives a lot of his time in the Summer to the minor hockey kids ......great to see .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad