Around the NHL - Part XLIII

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sprong really isn't that good. He can put up points but he doesn't know what defense is. Apparently all the GM's where thinking that too.
he's a player who doesn't really fit on a winning team. High end offensive ability but you don't really want him in your top 6, and he's too terrible away from the puck to be a true bottom six shutdown player .

He would absolutely tear up the European leagues but he scores enough to stick around in the NHL even if its with a new team every 2 years.

Better than Ryan Gropp lol

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Rangers have never been good at drafting. When they were finding Dubinsky and Stepan in the 2nd they were blowing 1st rounders on Al Montoya and Dylan McIlrath
Rangers are terrible at drafting in the top 10. You have to go back to the 80s to find a few gems like Brian Leetch, James Patrick, and Ulf Dahlen. I think they have a decent record drafting in the late teens and 20s. "Decent"

The NYR's draft history is characterized as:
  • many stand out busts.
  • Total lack of home runs in the round 1-3
In 30 years, our best drafted round 2+3 round picks are (in no particular order) Derek Stepan, Dominic Moore, Fedor Tyutin, Brandon Dubinsky, Mike Sauer, Anisimov, Buchnevich, Zac Jones, and Will Cuylle. THIRTY years. Not one single home run like a Kucherov, Point, Josi, Jason Robertson, Aho, DeBrincat, or Hintz.

And even more so in our 1st round picks. None of these players I'd consider gigantic steals: K.Miller, JT Miller, Skjei, Kreider, Staal, Cloutier, Schneider, Chytil - maybe Kovalev. Not including Kakko and Laf as they were consensus picks at their spots. Nor Othmann or Perrault or Emery because too early to call. I don't need to list the busts. We all know those names by heart.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Rangers are terrible at drafting in the top 10. You have to go back to the 80s to find a few gems like Brian Leetch, James Patrick, and Ulf Dahlen. I think they have a decent record drafting in the late teens and 20s. "Decent"

The NYR's draft history is characterized as:
  • many stand out busts.
  • Total lack of home runs in the round 1-3
In 30 years, our best drafted round 2+3 round picks are (in no particular order) Derek Stepan, Dominic Moore, Fedor Tyutin, Brandon Dubinsky, Mike Sauer, Anisimov, Buchnevich, Zac Jones, and Will Cuylle. THIRTY years. Not one single home run like a Kucherov, Point, Josi, Jason Robertson, Aho, DeBrincat, or Hintz.

And even more so in our 1st round picks. None of these players I'd consider gigantic steals: K.Miller, JT Miller, Skjei, Kreider, Staal, Cloutier, Schneider, Chytil - maybe Kovalev. Not including Kakko and Laf as they were consensus picks at their spots. Nor Othmann or Perrault or Emery because too early to call. I don't need to list the busts. We all know those names by heart.
buch in the 3rd is a home run. there's no other way about it.

Reactions: Irishguy42

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
buch in the 3rd is a home run. there's no other way about it.
STL Buch in the 3rd is maybe a home run. Call him a triple. Or maybe I should put Kuch, Point, Josi, et al as grad slams? Buch with NYR was better but similar to Dubinsky of Callahan. When I say home run, I'm talking about franchise level players. The no-brainers you lock in for 7-8 years. Not the ones you trade away. That's the other gripe with this org. Their inability to develop non-goaltenders and their history of trading away players who become stars for other teams.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Buchnevich was way more than a home run in the 3rd wtf. He was immensely better than Dubinsky and Callahan ever dreamed of being. Heck, Duclair being an NHL regular and scoring 20+ goals in 3 seasons over a 10 year career is an insane home run for a 3rd round pick.

Buch was a home run while he was with the Rangers, and he continues to be a home run at his draft position with the Blues. Same with Duclair, in the same draft round/year, granted not as successful as Buch.

Reactions: noncents

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
STL Buch in the 3rd is maybe a home run. Call him a triple. Or maybe I should put Kuch, Point, Josi, et al as grad slams? Buch with NYR was better but similar to Dubinsky of Callahan. When I say home run, I'm talking about franchise level players. The no-brainers you lock in for 7-8 years. Not the ones you trade away. That's the other gripe with this org. Their inability to develop non-goaltenders and their history of trading away players who become stars for other teams.
dunno why people refuse to accept that buchnevich was the player here that he has been in Stl. maybe the production has crystallized but he's always been a stud.

we just traded a star for nothing.

Reactions: tiggles

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
dunno why people refuse to accept that buchnevich was the player here that he has been in Stl. maybe the production has crystallized but he's always been a stud.

Last season here, you could totally see it. 0.89 p/g avg player but shortened season. Reminded a bit how lights out Stepan was in the lockout season. But still my original was that we have not hit that franchise level draftee the way other teams have. Our top level scouting leaves a lot to be desired for.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Last season here, you could totally see it. 0.89 p/g avg player but shortened season. Reminded a bit how lights out Stepan was in the lockout season. But still my original was that we have not hit that franchise level draftee the way other teams have. Our top level scouting leaves a lot to be desired for.
I don't know, I don't think you can blame not getting franchise players in the 3rd round on the scouting. That's just luck or lack thereof. If anyone of Kuch, Point, Josi etc. were really considered to be future franchise players by their teams, then they wouldn't have waited so long to draft them.

I think overall I wouldn't say the Rangers' drafting after round 1 has been bad. There has been some odd and outright bad drafting of goalies in the 2nd round, but other than that I think we're doing pretty well with those picks overall. You can't blame not getting franchise players there on scouting. And we got two franchise goalies with later picks, let's not forget that.

What the Rangers really suck at though is getting good value from top 15 draft picks in the first round. That's been probably the difference between winning a couple of Cups since 2005 and not doing it. Malhotra, Lundmark, Brendl, Blackburn, Jessiman, Montoya, McIlrath, Andersson, Kravtsov, Kakko... If just half of them amount to very good (not even superstar) players, that changes a lot. Now some of it was bad luck (injuries or consensus pick), but in the end that is just a sad list of failures.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is the Rangers luck. They “won” the lottery and this was the prize.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because when you have a chance to grab that brilliant hockey mind, you just have to do it. Baggage be damned.
I mean if this was Quenneville they could at least argue that. And someone will, when Quenneville is eventually hired during the season when someone is canned.

But the fact is that not only is this bad press for the Oilers, Bowman f***ing sucks as a GM lol. He f***ing ruined Chicago.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
WOOF

I saw Panarin trending on twitter.

Figured he shaved his head again or something but it was tied to the laundry list of bad moves Bowman made (Panarin for Saad.)

That and a bunch of other decisions should have made him un hirable before even getting to the other stuff. This will end poorly for the Oilers on... every level.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I saw Panarin trending on twitter.

Figured he shaved his head again or something but it was tied to the laundry list of bad moves Bowman made (Panarin for Saad.)

That and a bunch of other decisions should have made him un hirable before even getting to the other stuff. This will end poorly for the Oilers on... every level.
he tried to score one of those spinning trick shots in the NHL vs KHL stars game

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1721912999115.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad