Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
After game 3 when the Stars took a 2 games to 1 lead I was listening to the Oilers postgame show on the Oilers radio network.
They mentioned how maybe Knoblauch should bring in the young Dman Broberg for a more lumbering somewhat struggling bigger dman in Desharnais.
Well what do you know the coach did it. 3 games later they are in the cup final.
Maybe Jones could have provided a similar boost? Instead we just kept playing the likes of Trouba more and more.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
After game 3 when the Stars took a 2 games to 1 lead I was listening to the Oilers postgame show on the Oilers radio network.
They mentioned how maybe Knoblauch should bring in the young Dman Broberg for a more lumbering somewhat struggling bigger dman in Desharnais.
Well what do you know the coach did it. 3 games later they are in the cup final.
Maybe Jones could have provided a similar boost? Instead we just kept playing the likes of Trouba more and more.

I think politics are in play with Trouba. I don't know if it's easy to put in a rookie for your captain. Also Broberg was a first rounder if I remember correctly. Jones didn't have the pedigree. But I was very impressed with him to end the season. I really want to see him play next year as a regular.

Reactions: Breaded Fox

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think politics are in play with Trouba. I don't know if it's easy to put in a rookie for your captain. Also Broberg was a first rounder if I remember correctly. Jones didn't have the pedigree. But I was very impressed with him to end the season. I really want to see him play next year as a regular.
Yeah I understand Broberg was a highly touted pick but not sure how much that means 5 years later? I think it was definitely more politics.
The best stretch of hockey we played this year (Not just cause we were winning) was when Jones was in the lineup.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Laviolette stunk in the playoffs. Refusing to play Jones. Putting Miller-Trouba back together at the first sign of adversity. These are moves that I would expect from Gallant. Veteran coaches all do this same bullshit.

Florida not exactly the poster child of “build through the draft” either, FWIW.
Neither was Vegas.

Yeah I understand Broberg was a highly touted pick but not sure how much that means 5 years later? I think it was definitely more politics.
The best stretch of hockey we played this year (Not just cause we were winning) was when Jones was in the lineup.
We actually looked halfway competent 5 on 5.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
These days you build a club to earn a playoff spot & then win 16 games in the playoffs . The rest is basically meaningless as to how a team is constructed ......whatever works at the time .

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah, that’s my point. The new way to win the Cup isn’t through the draft anymore. Pieces, sure. Whole puzzle? Nope.
Yeah Vegas nuked this theory completely.

They had 1 (!) drafted player on their roster that won last year and he was their 6th defenseman.

Barkov, Lundell and Ekblad are the only players who were drafted by Florida who are playing for them. I think Lomberg (UDFA IIRC) and Luostarinen were the only other guys who spent any time in their farm and the latter was an NHL ready piece they got from Carolina.

Good players are good players - it doesn't really matter how you get them, you just need to fit them under the cap and hope that they show up when you need them.

Reactions: JCProdigy

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not into predicting series. But I think Florida will be in for a rude awakening the first game at least with Edmonton's speed, pace and skill after playing our slow team. I wouldn't be surprised for Florida to suddenly become a heavily penalized team again *wink*.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A refreshing SCF where I feel like it's actually the two best teams. If not, they're both up there.

Hot take: I was never that impressed with Vegas. Their underlying numbers were/are extremely dollar store, and Mark Stone, underwhelming for a gamebreaker, is their only gamebreaker.

Vegas faced .870 goaltending last year in rounds 3 and 4. Must be nice.

Reactions: FultonReed

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
A refreshing SCF where I feel like it's actually the two best teams. If not, they're both up there.

Hot take: I was never that impressed with Vegas. Their underlying numbers were/are extremely dollar store, and Mark Stone, underwhelming for a gamebreaker, is their only gamebreaker.

Vegas faced .870 goaltending last year in rounds 3 and 4. Must be nice.
Who do you have winning between the Oilers and Panthers, ultimately?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Gun to my head, I'd go with Florida in 7 by the skin of their teeth. I think the major difference could be in net. How will Stuart Skinner fare in the finals against a formidable Panthers team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad