Around the NHL: Panthers win. Onto the business season!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
We are on the cusp of maybe the greatest moment in hockey history if McDavid closes the deal. I'd say only Miracle on Ice edges it.

Hasek single-handedly winning a gold medal will always be near the top to me.

These calls are so stupid.

Yep. So dumb. Just make it easy and only review if the puck went into the goal or not. Everything else goes by what is called at the time of the play.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I predict the Senators will overpay for Chris Tanev, there will be people on this board mad that the Sens made that aggressive move to put up big bucks with term for old free agents, and then he'll fall off a cliff.
Or he won't fall, Tanev would be a good fit for us for a few years, he is distinguished by his smart play, and he is not even physical.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Out of all still active NHL teams from before the 1978-79 season, only one has not played in a game where they were able to clinch the Stanley Cup.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Weird how over his career he's had tons of injuries.
And it didn't affect his level of play, he's still as good as a top 4 RD. He blocks a lot of shots, although if you look, in Vancouver he got a lot of injuries, but in Calgary he was almost always healthy.

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
East Aurora, NY
Yep, but the moment you allow challenges in the first place, you're stuck with it.

This is all Matt Duchene's fault. Never forget that.
Not his fault, it's the Nashville player who re-directed the puck back into his own zone which made that ref think that he played it back into his own zone negating the offside. Craig Smith and Scott Hannan. It hit one of those guys, the linesman clearly called it good because of the play back into their own zone, if they had been more aware and didn't stop playing, might never have happened. I'll never fault a player who follows sports 101: Play to the whistle.

Yeah it should've been offside, but Duchene's the only one who's NOT at fault IMO

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
And it didn't affect his level of play, he's still as good as a top 4 RD. He blocks a lot of shots, although if you look, in Vancouver he got a lot of injuries, but in Calgary he was almost always healthy.

It affects his play when he can't play.

No way I'd want to pay big bucks with term for 34 year old Tanev.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It affects his play when he can't play.

No way I'd want to pay big bucks with term for Tanev.
I told you he hasn't had any serious injuries in the last 3-4 seasons. I don't think Tanev will get a long term. Two years would be reasonable for me.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's funny people saying the correct call was "wrong" because they looked at it for a minute afterwards. Sorry, challenges exist for a reason to get the call right. We have technology to do this now it isn't the 1930's.
@tsujimoto74 This is a response your post as well.

They exist to placate a couple GMs who went off on the league after a couple blatantly obvious offsides calls were missed leading to goals. The one that really led the charge to implement reviews was this one……

It was understandable they were livid over that. IIRC the officials thought one of the Preds touched the puck. The issue with this is obviously Duchene gains an incredible competitive advantage with this non-call. Players stopped skating and the goalie half heartedly tries to stop it. But stuff like that play rarely ever happen.

What we get instead are plays that are fractions of an inch. That require magnification to even see. Or we get a goal challenged because of potential offside that occurred 15-30 seconds before the goal was scored. Things rarely give a competitive advantage.

Before you say just missing offside gives an advantage. There are also plays blown dead as offsides that were not. There is no recourse for that mistake by the linesman, nor can there really be one. Throughout the year many developing scoring chances are negated by incorrect offside calls. Those are potential goals negated. Teams just live with it and move on. Thats how it should be for all of it.

It’s never really been about getting right. It was to shut up some GMs who were complaining. If it was, the NHL would be reviewing every goal and not putting the decision in the hands of the team getting scored on or penalizing them if they are wrong. Even with review the officials can still sometimes get it wrong.

IMO what the NHL came up with is a bigger problem than the issue it was addressing.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I predict the Senators will overpay for Chris Tanev, there will be people on this board mad that the Sens made that aggressive move to put up big bucks with term for old free agents, and then he'll fall off a cliff.
Posters were mad about a lot of trash moves that the Sabres didn't make. The arrogant ones love pumping their chest if theyre right about something, but strangely, never bring their receipts of when theyre wrong about something. I suppose they need to live in their own little coddled reality to get through life. It's a warped reality, though.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Posters were mad about a lot of trash moves that the Sabres didn't make. The arrogant ones love pumping their chest if theyre right about something, but strangely, never bring their receipts of when theyre wrong about something. I suppose they need to live in their own little coddled reality to get through life. It's a warped reality, though.

But when they signed Korpisalo, Harmonic, and Tarasenko, they blew past us in the rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: BUCKSHOT

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Is Pinto even available? The problem with McGroarty is that he will be choosing his own team, no one will trade for him without the certainty that he will not sign a contract.
Pinto has been available since last year as he wants to get paid properly and the sens don't wanna pay him.

I think everyone is assuming McGroaty wants to pick his place because he went back to school. If WPG isn't talking to him his only option is to go back to school and wait it out. I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to sign and ELC and WPG is fumbling it.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Pinto has been available since last year as he wants to get paid properly and the sens don't wanna pay him.

I think everyone is assuming McGroaty wants to pick his place because he went back to school. If WPG isn't talking to him his only option is to go back to school and wait it out. I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to sign and ELC and WPG is fumbling it.
Then it's weird that I don't see any Pinto trade rumors around the league. Seems like a perfect center for us.

Well, as I understand it, he wants to play in the NHL next season, and the Jets don't do that and are very slow with development prospects and will send him to the AHL, and he doesn't want to go to the AHL.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Then it's weird that I don't see any Pinto trade rumors around the league. Seems like a perfect center for us.

Well, as I understand it, he wants to play in the NHL next season, and the Jets don't do that and are very slow with development prospects and will send him to the AHL, and he doesn't want to go to the AHL.

Pinto and the Winnipeg Jets?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

McGroarty still has to play 2 more years in college before he can become a FA. If he went back for his senior season I'd be absolutely shocked. Feels like discussion on him is a bit premature.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
No, we were talking about Pinto in the first paragraph and McGroarty in the second.

Ah - you must be responding to a post I can't see.

Wow as someone who adored the kid on the NTDP I would trade a lot for McGroatry but I'm sure in no way do they want to move him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Wow as someone who adored the kid on the NTDP I would trade a lot for McGroatry but I'm sure in no way do they want to move him.
So that's the point, McGroarty is in a lot of trade rumors because he and the Jets aren't talking to each other. He wants an NHL spot next season and the Jets can't guarantee that.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

I'd offer them their choice of Kulich, Savoie or Rosen in exchange for McGroatry. He doesn't have the ceiling of Savoie but has elements to his play that are lacking in the pipeline. Also, I could easily see him holding down a 3W slot

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Also puts Connor ahead of Sid on the all-time list

I assumed that was already a foregone conclusion. Sid has one of the best trophy shelves of anyone in hockey history but he's generally considered to be around 7-10 all time, whereas McDavid's likely going to crack the Big Four at this rate.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'd offer them their choice of Kulich, Savoie or Rosen in exchange for McGroatry. He doesn't have the ceiling of Savoie but has elements to his play that are lacking in the pipeline. Also, I could easily see him holding down a 3W slot

Not sure about Savoie but definitely Kulich or Rosén. I'd even add. He's been a captain almost everywhere he plays and he's just a gamer.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not sure about Savoie but definitely Kulich or Rosén. I'd even add. He's been a captain almost everywhere he plays and he's just a gamer.
I would even be willing to include Savoie, although I like him very much. But I would try to extend the deal to get Ehlers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad