Around the NHL Lucky #13 - A Sign of Things to Come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How so? He scored goals that are indicative of the game he plays. Three end to end rushes would be completely out of the norm for him, banging in rebounds, getting deflections and the odd pretty goal are exactly what he has brought to the table the last couple years.

Well, basically, I feel those goals are indicative of any type of play; that is to say, every type of forward gets those goals from time to time. They're not the type of goal that displays a certain skill, in my opinion.

Of course, he could've had a great game and been effective. I don't know, because I didn't watch. But that's a separate matter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, basically, I feel those goals are indicative of any type of play; that is to say, every type of forward gets those goals from time to time. They're not the type of goal that displays a certain skill, in my opinion.

Of course, he could've had a great game and been effective. I don't know, because I didn't watch. But that's a separate matter.
My point was all 3 goals were from going to the net and creating a screen, two he banged in the rebound, the 3rd her deflected. I'm not suggesting he will do that every night, but just pointing out that most of his goals with us were in the same vein. Also no, most players don't stand in front of the net creating screens, most float off to the side of the crease. Was he lucky to get 3 in a night? Certainly, but it does not detract from the fact that is the style of game he plays and does not make them "flukey" or less meaningful than any other goal (especially since 2 were on the PP).

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
My point was all 3 goals were from going to the net and creating a screen, two he banged in the rebound, the 3rd her deflected. I'm not suggesting he will do that every night, but just pointing out that most of his goals with us were in the same vein. Also no, most players don't stand in front of the net creating screens, most float off to the side of the crease. Was he lucky to get 3 in a night? Certainly, but it does not detract from the fact that is the style of game he plays and does not make them "flukey" or less meaningful than any other goal (especially since 2 were on the PP).

I agree with your analysis, reminds me of Dave Andreychuk who scored 640 NHL goals, people used to call him ineffective too.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Hyperbole?

I'd like to see the day Colborne has 600 career goals.

Only 549 to go. He IS on pace for 246 goals this season. He'd only have to do that 2 and half season and he'd have it all wrapped up

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
Hyperbole?

I'd like to see the day Colborne has 600 career goals.

I agree he is no Andreychuk, but the point was you can be effective and valuable scoring a bunch of garbage goals.

Funny , I read the Avs GDT and one guy said " Gee, Colborne looks slow and disinterested even in the warmups.

Hes one of those guys that visually frustrates people but I stand by the idea that he is starting to prove he is also valuable

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Oilers look Oileresque once again against Buffalo. Not sure if I should be happy to see that or sad about what it means about our team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers look Oileresque once again against Buffalo. Not sure if I should be happy to see that or sad about what it means about our team.

over confidence, turn out the beat a bunch of guys still on summer vacation

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
brb won the BoA twice, brb we're back, brb rolling out the ticker tape parade for our pending cup win, brb ship 6 goals to buffalo at home

There's a deluded smugness within the franchise that never ceases to amaze me

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Watching the reservoir of unjustified smugness accumulated in Edmonton over the summer drain in the fall is one of my favourite things about the NHL season.

What a beautiful game this was.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Says nothing. We outshot them 76-56 despite playing our probably twelvth best defenseman Grossmann on opening night as a #6, benching our fourth and fifth best defensemen against them, most of our top players (Elliott, Gaudreau, Monahan) being rusty, the officiating being horribly biased in their favor, our players still learning new systems, etc. Literally every "luck" or "early season advantage" was in their favour. They even choked a 3-1 lead to us off shorties.

They beat us, in the most convincingly fluke manners.

They're still the Edmonton Oilers. The Canucks looked better than them last night. And the Canucks are not likely a playoff team. But the Canucks' horrible bottom nine forward group still does not have a player as terrible as Anton Lander or dumb as Benoit Pouliot (and Virtanen ain't exactly Einstein).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad