OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Bob only let in 1 goal in every series winning game. That’s the definition of “clutch.”

Should’ve went to him imo. Still would’ve been a stronger winner than Ovechkin when he got it.
He was a .906 for the playoffs. Super average.
There's no timeline where he should get it over a 42 point Forward (3rd all-time) who was even solid defensively too.
That would just be throwing logic and fairness out the window.

What 97 did in this playoffs may not be bested for 20 years. What Bob did is bested like every playoffs by a goalie who goes deep. Hill was a .932 last year for example.

I don't really get why we're even debating this. We've watched hockey long enough. We know how rare this is.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
There's no timeline where he should get it over a 42 point Forward (3rd all-time) who was even solid defensively too.

What 97 did in this playoffs may not be bested for 20 years. What Bob did is bested like every playoffs by a goalie who goes deep. Hill was a .932 last year for example.

I don't really get why we're even debating this. We've watched hockey long enough. We know how rare this is.
If youre going to fault Bob for a couple of mediocre games in the Final, you have to fault McDavid for being a no-show in 4 games of the Final. McDavid also did a bunch of stat-collecting and PP harvesting in these playoffs. He had a lot of no show games.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004

Meh, Crosby and Malkin had a more impressive run in 09 by carrying a bunch of middle and bottom sixers on their lines to a Cup.

Era adjusted Malkin scored the 2nd most playoff points ever, which is absurd when you consider Talbot and Fedotenko were his linemates.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
If youre going to fault Bob for a couple of mediocre games in the Final, you have to fault McDavid for being a no-show in 4 games of the Final. McDavid also did a bunch of stat-collecting and PP harvesting in these playoffs. He had a lot of no show games.
I don't look at it that way. I value all the rounds equally. Full playoff award.
You need 16 wins for the Cup. The last 4 wins just happen to be at the end of the process. They all have equal value, because all are required to become champions.

PP harvesting is a very valuable skill that wins series. That's where you pick teams apart in the playoffs, because there's no time and space at ES. If it was so easy, everyone would do it.
And even if you wanna look at 5v5 points, Connor had 21. Nearly P/PG strictly off that. The closest Panther had 13.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Meh, Crosby and Malkin had a more impressive run in 09 by carrying a bunch of middle and bottom sixers on their lines to a Cup.

Era adjusted Malkin scored the 2nd most playoff points ever, which is absurd when you consider Talbot and Fedotenko were his linemates.
What Malkin did to the Canes that year was a criminal act.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So it'd feel more right giving it to a Panther with half his points in the playoffs, for a full playoffs award? How does that make any sense? Nearest Panther had 22.
This is like the most cut and dry year ever with the CS, when it comes to a clear deserving winner. The goalies weren't even good.
The only one who kinda approached Connor is Bouchard. He shoulda been 2nd in voting. 3rd most points for a D-man in history, while doing it in the salary cap era. Pretty solid defensively too over the course of the playoffs. +14.

I like Barkov, but there's no way to twist this to say he was more valuable in the playoffs. He got destroyed, individually speaking.
Hell, Hyman was even better than any Panther. 16 goals. +12.
Do you only look at the stat sheet?

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Bob only let in 1 goal in every series winning game. That’s the definition of “clutch.”

Should’ve went to him imo. Still would’ve been a stronger winner than Ovechkin when he got it.
You know, having a little time to think on it, I wonder if nationality worked against him as much as any performance questions.

There haven't really been any Russians consideration since 2021.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Considering the vaunted Oilers offense is the best thing ever, the CS should have gone to Bob because he managed to slow them down enough for his team to win 4 games.

Reactions: canadianguy77

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Do you only look at the stat sheet?
Right, because this thread is so much deeper than that normally with the analysis :laugh: . All posts revolve around 2 players and the posters angry feelings towards them, usually in 1-2 lines.
10 of the Forwards and 5 of the blue liners on the Oilers may as well not exist, for as much attention as they got in this run.

Bringing up actual concrete numbers is a step up from the norm, so don't complain. We could use way more of it, if anything.
Only reason you take an issue with what I'm saying is because the numbers support a team you want to fail.
But when it comes to mindless, bullshit pro-Florida posts that have been spammed here, you don't call out a soul for bringing down the level.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Lemieux had a point in 22 of 23 games in his 44 point run. Mcdavid had a point in 19 of 25 games. Very impressive for lemieux
Points in 1991 are not equivalent difficulty of 2024 points.
Look at the goaltending Lemieux faced. 3:09, 6:50, 8:10

The 1985 goaltending when Wayne got 47 points was even worse. A complete joke. They didn't even have the fundamentals down yet, and they had less padding on top of it.

That's why I'm high on this playoffs from 97. It may be the best all-time relative to the player's conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: orby

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Points in 1991 are not equivalent difficulty of 2024 points.
Look at the goaltending Lemieux faced.

The 1985 goaltending when Wayne got 47 points was even worse. A complete joke. They didn't even have the fundamentals down yet, and they had less padding on top of it.

That's why I'm high on this playoffs from 97. It may be the best all-time relative to the player's conditions.

Yeeeeeah…that’s why. :eyeroll: :sarcasm:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

Malkin may have a case for a comparable run, sure. I think his case weakens with his 51 PIM's during that run and not great defense. McDavid only had 10 pims in this playoffs, and was very solid 2-way.
It's close still. Malkin had a stronger goal count, which supports him.

I'm not putting Sid's 31 points ahead of McDavid's 42 though. No way.

McDavid may have better average linemates, but he also boosts them to the point where they appear better to others. So he deserves credit for that. Hyman for example was a 40 point guy in Toronto.
Now he got 54 goals and 16 more in the playoffs.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
McDavid showed his true colour last night…yellow

If he truly was one of the GOAT’s he’d have had an ounce of humility and class, sucked it up, and still went out there to accept the Conn Smythe and get his photo taken with Bettman. It’d have taken what??? 2 minutes???

Can you imagine the outrage if Wayne, Mario, or Crosby would've pulled that garbage?? The media would’ve been raking them over the coals for f***ing years!!!!

And it’s not like McDiva is 18-19 years old anymore. He’s what??? 28????? Or should I say 28 going on 4. :eyeroll: :shakehead

Based on that petty childishness alone, I hope he never comes close to even sniffing a Cup finals ever again. Or wins another playoff round ever again.

f*** him and Crysaitl. Petulant f***ing manchild losers…the both of them. 🖕🖕🖕🖕

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad