Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're right, we don't 100% know the exact order, but we do know who was offered more money earlier on.

It's up to you which signifies priority. To me, it's the players offered the most money. Regardless of whether the depth players are approached first in conversation.

I kind of think of priority based more on its literal meaning. More often than not it would be similar to how you think of it since there is a cap and it often makes more sense to get the more expensive contracts done first. But it doesn’t have to be the case. By getting the cheaper player signed it might free up room to pursue a better player hence lowering the priority of the player who would make more money. Plus priorities can change easily. Signing Zadorov might have been a priority but not at any price. If the risk of losing Zadorov is high the priority to sign Myers might have increased.

At the end of the day you need players in place. Obviously there are some signings that should have zero impact on the other. Like is Joshua a higher priority than Blueger? I would say yes because of the risk of losing him and having to outbid other teams but... not really. The team will be in as much of a difficulty spot if not more if they have to replace Blueger. Of course everything does depend on having the cap space to negotiate multiple deals at once.

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
One thing that seems to be overlooked in this thread is just how much value the coaching staff and management place on Myers' influence as a team leader.

Apparently he's a real glue-guy and they feel he's an important part of the culture here.

So - that may have added a bit to what they were willing to dish out for AAV.

Like most, at $3M/per and paired with Soucy, I'm ok with the 1st two years of this. I think the risk of him falling off like Cole is pretty low. He's a physical freak.

We'll have to wait for year 3. Could be ugly, Soucy's contract runs out after year 2...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I dont think this is a bad deal at all.

When his minutes are managed correctly he has show to be a good no.4 / 5.

He had that season with OEL here and the end of 23-24. If he can do something close to those stretches this will be worth it for us.

Reactions: I am toxic

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The issue is the canucks do not have internal options pushing to replace someone like Myers (thanks Benning!). As such, this is what a contract looks like for Myers or someone similar on the UFA market. As a whole this isn’t an albatross contract or anything. It’s fine. Not fantastic but fine.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Someone asking nearly the same question- "How has it only been five years?"

I’m still kind of surprised with myself that I’m happy he’s returning. Don’t know that I could have said that for most of his previous contract - and I think I probably had a softer spot for him than most. But he was really solid last year, and I like our defense’s identity of being big and hard to play against.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
To be fair, he hasn't been dogshit for all those five years. Not that he hasn't looked like NoGoodBranSuck on occasion.

I don’t think that even at his worst has Myers been as bad as that clown was during his time in Vancouver. And certainly never ran his mouth spewing the idiotic garbage that Gudbranson did.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The issue is the canucks do not have internal options pushing to replace someone like Myers (thanks Benning!). As such, this is what a contract looks like for Myers or someone similar on the UFA market. As a whole this isn’t an albatross contract or anything. It’s fine. Not fantastic but fine.
Not sure I agree. Juulsen, Friedman, and Woo is probably the best collection of players the team has that could step in and fill a depth role, other than arguably fourth line wing. If there was any spot they could leave to a training camp competition it was third pairing RD. Comparably they have no one who can step in as a LD or at centre.

They now need a RD to slot in ahead of Myers and a LD.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Not sure I agree. Juulsen, Friedman, and Woo is probably the best collection of players the team has that could step in and fill a depth role, other than arguably fourth line wing. If there was any spot they could leave to a training camp competition it was third pairing RD. Comparably they have no one who can step in as a LD or at centre.

My fear is that they intend to have Soucy and Myers on the second pairing….

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Like others have said, not particularly a fan of this one - but it’s a minor L.

I would have went 2 years max and stood my ground. The risk of Myers walking isn’t detrimental to team success and could easily be replaced.

Anyway, in the big picture it’s not anything that breaks the bank - it’s the 3rd year term and perhaps logic suggests this money have been used to re-up Zadorov

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I guess that’s a matter of opinion…I don’t believe any of those 3 are regular nhl players.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
They probably aren’t, but the team is going to have to cut corners somewhere and there is a better chance someone emerges from that group than on LD or at centre.
Or sign some cheap depth and hope they hit a home run. It’s far more likely they will get lucky and unearth bottom of the lineup players than top six forwards and top four defensemen.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Nice. Honestly sometimes he looked like he was almost worth 6 in the playoffs. 3x3 is an easy signing for me.
If everyone* had stepped up their game in the playoffs like Myers, Canucks take the Cup in 18 playoff games.

* and by everyone, I am referring to the posters here at HF Canucks - some of you mailed in your posts during the playoffs. I bet you can't even look yourselves in the mirror. You know who you are- and if you have to ask, then the answer is "yeah, you too!"

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Or sign some cheap depth and hope they hit a home run. It’s far more likely they will get lucky and unearth bottom of the lineup players than top six forwards and top four defensemen.
Yeah hopefully another "Schenn" type of acquisition will turn up (and yes, Jim Benning should get credit for signing him on that one). Cheap vet on a one or two year deal. Just for depth. At worst, a good vet to have in Abby to "mentor" the prospects there.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
* and by everyone, I am referring to the posters here at HF Canucks - some of you mailed in your posts during the playoffs. I bet you can't even look yourselves in the mirror. You know who you are- and if you have to ask, then the answer is "yeah, you too!"
Sorry man, I was tired and had a nagging shoulder injury and had stuff on my mind and had indigestion and was busy thinking about my next contract.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Sorry man, I was tired and had a nagging shoulder injury and had stuff on my mind and had indigestion and was busy thinking about my next contract.

no-excuses-excuses.gif

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They probably aren’t, but the team is going to have to cut corners somewhere and there is a better chance someone emerges from that group than on LD or at centre.
And if so then players will be moved to make room. Blocking similar quality and cheaper players coming through the ranks doesn’t happen in a properly run organization.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Honestly this might suck regardless of the lower cap hit.

Similar to Zadorov, you're not going to get playoff Myers for most of the regular season. But zadorov is consistently closer to his playoff self than Myers is. Myers physicality was basically non existent in the regular season and has been non existent for the entirety of his contract. Why should we expect that to change?

He's older than Cole and could literally just drop off a cliff in performance. Luckily Tocchet's system will insulate him if his minutes are managed appropriately. Hopefully at this cap hit he's more easily relegated to the third pair if someone from the AHL actually manages to push for a spot.

In terms of what was out there I get why they re-signed him. But if we're going to win he needs to be playing even less minutes. Even this playoff run when they took away Soucy he reverted to old habits and was instantly less effective. Then Soucy coming back struggled a bit and the whole pair struggled because Soucy is carrying.

I just wanted to move on from this player because there's no reason his decision making is going to improve and he's just going to get slower and slower as age sets in. He doesn't have the positional instincts or the ability to read the play that would offset any kind of physical decline we might see. This is basically the equivalent of Ceci on the Oilers, if they're serious about winning he shouldn't be in the lineup even though he has some moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad