Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I've never been able to figure out what the criteria is for an official giveaway/takeaway. They always seem so incredibly subjective. A defenseman reads the cycle, bodies off his man, and wins the puck? Not a takeaway, even though it forces a change in possession through his direct action.

A forward misses a pass through the neutral zone that goes to the opposing defender? Not a giveaway, even though it's an unforced error that results in a change of possession.

It's not unusual for me to see a player create three or four turnovers and get credit for zero to one takeaways in the box score. I'm sure they're measuring something, but I'll be damned if I can pin down exactly what that is. It's probably different for every official scorer, just like hits.

I'd rather have guys with good numbers than bad, but I try not to put much stock in those numbers. I think they paint an incomplete picture at best of a player's contributions on those fronts, and at worst a potentially misleading one.
I don’t disagree at all. However I find giveaways and takeaways incredibly important. Unfortunately the eye test is more reliable than the stats. So I rely on the ole eyes.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
It's bad in Chicago but I won't completely write them off yet. Crawford is coming back soon, and even though that defense isn't very good, he could save them enough to get them in to a Wild Card. I certainly hope not. I'd love nothing more than a Hawks tear down after this season.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Does anybody else think this CBA is trash? The young guys have all the success, make little money, and then right as they’re falling apart they rake in “thanks for the memories” money while the cycle repeats itself. It’s almost designed to produce horrible contracts. Just seems like a poor design

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
It's bad in Chicago but I won't completely write them off yet. Crawford is coming back soon, and even though that defense isn't very good, he could save them enough to get them in to a Wild Card. I certainly hope not. I'd love nothing more than a Hawks tear down after this season.

I think they’re done for this year. They’ve got quite a hole to get themselves out of and they’re just not a very good team. Fully expecting them to win the lottery though.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I think they’re done for this year. They’ve got quite a hole to get themselves out of and they’re just not a very good team. Fully expecting them to win the lottery though.
Holy crap...imagine if effing sh**hawks won the draft lottery. I'd give it 2-3 years before they're back in the hunt. They would get that "lucky" though. Truthfully, it would be a little bad on the NHL to watch their 3-4 highest marketable team to have an extended down time. As much as I hate Chicago...they are a big money maker for the league. I could see a slightly "lucky" draw in the lottery for Chicago. That, or they'll swindle Arizona out of that pick.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m not a big conspiracy theory guy but I’ll be surprised if Chicago and New York don’t both pick in the top 3.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Does anybody else think this CBA is trash? The young guys have all the success, make little money, and then right as they’re falling apart they rake in “thanks for the memories” money while the cycle repeats itself. It’s almost designed to produce horrible contracts. Just seems like a poor design

No real way around it. It's just more highlighted by the fact that players are hitting their peaks earlier, and that doesn't mean their primes are lasting longer.

Starting UFA earlier isn't going to work, the budget/small market teams need that club control, and the non-star players need the time to develop. Hitting UFA status before you've gotten close to your potential isn't a good solution either.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It is ultimately up to the teams what they do. If you don't want to extend your 29 year old player then trade him for futures, it's not difficult.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Just caught up with some Olympic stuff and noticed that former Blues greats Joakim Lindstrom, Marcel Goc, Sergei Andronov, and Ladislav Nagy (!!) are all playing key roles for their teams

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Just caught up with some Olympic stuff and noticed that former Blues greats Joakim Lindstrom, Marcel Goc, Sergei Andronov, and Ladislav Nagy (!!) are all playing key roles for their teams
Derek Roy with 3 points for Canada in their first game.

If we could dress 20 skaters a game, he’d still be in the NHL simply to play 4 minutes a game on the PP.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Derek Roy with 3 points for Canada in their first game.

If we could dress 20 skaters a game, he’d still be in the NHL simply to play 4 minutes a game on the PP.
How could I forget! I remember watching a playoff game against LA where Roy was the 1st line center and Tarasenko was on the 4th line. Those were the days

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

This is why I have basically no interest in the Olympic hockey. Without NHL players is a farce.

it really is like a rec. league all-star game this go around.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
This is why I have basically no interest in the Olympic hockey. Without NHL players is a farce.
Hard to argue that.

Without the NHL, and allowing other pro Leagues, just makes it completely meaningless. It heavily favours European nations, for obvious reasons, and it loses a lot of the spectacle.

The IOC decided they didn't want the NHL and done their best to sabotage any chance of it happening though.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Mikael Backlund off the board. Six year extension with the Flames. Was hoping he would be a potential consolation prize behind Tavares next offseason.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Anybody else see that Flames v Preds game the other night?

A lot like the Blues v Preds game earlier in the week. 3rd period Pred comeback. They almost did it. Calgary goaltender had to make some amazing saves. Preds never quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad