Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Does any one else find it odd that BM still gets to represent Boston at the all star game. Has this ever happened before? In any league?
Yea with Ovi IIRC. Its up to the player to attend.

On NHL radio, they had a great idea for the AS event. For the skills event, anyone can show up and participate if they think they can win.

Lets see who can actually shoot thr hardest in the league, not just of the "superstars". Who wins a race between Anthenasiou(yea...), Larkin, Ehlers, and Mcdavid? This would be far more entertaining then what ever the hell they do now.

They can still have the regular AS game with the selected playera, but the skills comp needs a revamp.

Also.....wtf is Boyle going over Bratt/Hicher. Im tired of these feel good stories. Yes its amazing that he's still able to play hockey. Give him the Ted Lindsey award, not gift him an AS spot.

Last edited:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If true, it has to be fairly rare a player would choose a city over winning. Then again, if the Rangers get a bunch of rejects they could be the Vegas of next year.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
If true, it has to be fairly rare a player would choose a city over winning. Then again, if the Rangers get a bunch of rejects they could be the Vegas of next year.
I don't think winning is the be-all-end-all for players that many fans would like to imagine it is. I'd imagine money is usually the primary consideration. You only have so many opportunities in your career to negotiate your pay.

After that, then it's usually some hodgepodge of location and winning. A lot of people are comfortable re-signing in places where their family is already settled. It's also not unheard of to go back to somewhere where one had previous ties (see: Stastny). For others, maybe winning is paramount.

Ideally, one would like to check all three boxes, but that's not a luxury that every player has when they're hunting for a job.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think winning is the be-all-end-all for players that many fans would like to imagine it is. I'd imagine money is usually the primary consideration. You only have so many opportunities in your career to negotiate your pay.

After that, then it's usually some hodgepodge of location and winning. A lot of people are comfortable re-signing in places where their family is already settled. It's also not unheard of to go back to somewhere where one had previous ties (see: Stastny). For others, maybe winning is paramount.

Ideally, one would like to check all three boxes, but that's not a luxury that every player has when they're hunting for a job.
I have wondered why people don’t see players as more similar to the typical worker. I get that they are atypical in the sense that they are elite level athletes. But they are still people with a lot of the same motives.

Last edited:
Reactions: PizzaPietrangelo

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I have wondered why people doves see players as more similar to the typical worker. I get that they are atypical in the sense that they are elite level athletes. But they are still people with a lot of the same motives.

Yeah, making millions, late 20s, NYC. I am sure he is having the time of his life.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Have the think the blues should at least inquire about Jagr as he’s on waivers today.

I don't see why we would. He's not a top 6 RW and his numbers aren't any better than the guys currently filling bottom 6 rw roles. He's also on a 1 mil contract with another 1 mil in bonuses.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Have to think that they would have tried to trade him prior to putting him on waivers, so I think it will be fairly certain that he isn't claimed. So this will be a contract termination. I'm guessing there must be time for him to be added to the Czech Olympic roster for this to be happening now.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I don't see why we would. He's not a top 6 RW and his numbers aren't any better than the guys currently filling bottom 6 rw roles. He's also on a 1 mil contract with another 1 mil in bonuses.

I really wanted him before the season but that has proven to be a bad opinion, the only reason I would think to bring him in now is if you thought he could have played 12min and help the power play, but Schwartz alone changed the look last game, I just really wanted a Blues Jagr Jersey

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I’d prefer to stay away from Jagr. There’s a reason why a team like CGY that needs a RW as badly as we do put him on waivers.
He got put on waivers to play for the Czech for the Olympics. I would still like to take a chance on Jagr at the right price. He can't be any worse than Jaskin/Pajaarvi(was)/Sundqvist. He brings veteran leadership and a hard work ethic. Oh, and I love Jagr.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Another fun Lehtera fact. Since flyers starting using him shorthanded, pk is 69.7%. Not too shabby for someone who stands to make 5 million $$ next year. However using him in all situations, yet the gm saying flyers won't be sellers at the trade deadline is very confusing. Are they competing or tanking?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Another fun Lehtera fact. Since flyers starting using him shorthanded, pk is 69.7%. Not too shabby for someone who stands to make 5 million $$ next year. However using him in all situations, yet the gm saying flyers won't be sellers at the trade deadline is very confusing. Are they competing or tanking?
Lehtera truly is terrible.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Nashville’s gonna win a cup this year. I don’t know that there is anything they don’t do at an above-average level. Hard to see anybody in the West being able to take them on. I think Vegas is mostly smoke and mirrors, and the magic will wear off in the playoff pressure cooker. The Jets are legit too, but I don’t see them in the same light as the Perds. If Nashville adds Fish, *and* Kane/Patches/Hoffman, there wont be anybody that can stop them.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Boeser is amazing. If ever there was a way to pry him away from Vancouver, he would be a perfect fit for this team. Won’t ever happen, but it would be great if it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad