OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Scoring is too easy these days. Back in Malkin and Sids prime , it used to take SKILL and GUTS to put up points. Now defenceman can hit 70 points and it’s an afterthought. Now the JT Millers and other complete scrub lords hit 100 points by accident. It’s the 80s all over again. :laugh::laugh:

Give me Evgeni Malkin’s CS run in 2009 over McDavid any day of the week. Mcdavid played with arguably the second or third best player in the league on his line. Malkin played with two grinders. And he still didn’t put up a better era adjusted total than Geno.

You know, McDavid is very lucky to start off his career when it did. Shrink the goalie gear in 17/18 and suddenly 50 new stars were born. I’m not blinded by these ridiculous point totals.
Malkin’s run was LEGENDARY and sure as hell isn’t surpassed by McDavid. :yo::yo::yo:

Last edited:

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Someone should tell Yohe to log off. Dude is embarrassing himself on Twitter. McDavid had twenty(!) more points than Barkov - Florida's leading scorer. He was also the catalyst for the Oilers evening the series.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Oilers really didn't belong in the finals. They got there, somehow, without playing Vegas or Colorado. Dallas, while very good, was beat up from having played actual teams in rounds 1 and 2. LA was a first round bye. Vancouver was the benefactor of a terrible division - which included Edmonton. I don't expect the Oilers to be back to the finals again. They achieved what they wanted - lots of stats and a Conn Smythe trophy. For the meat-gazing franchise, that is as good as a cup. I am a little surprised they got as close as they did though. Anything is possible i guess.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Someone should tell Yohe to log off. Dude is embarrassing himself on Twitter. McDavid had twenty(!) more points than Barkov - Florida's leading scorer. He was also the catalyst for the Oilers evening the series.
Bob would've been my choice, it's wild Forsling had more votes than him. Bob had 3 stinkers in the finals? McD also went pointless in 3 and was a non-factor in another. That's a wash as far as I'm concerned. McD won game 5? Bob won game 1. If it's splitsies, you award it to the winning team. But I mean, w/e.

I don't expect the Oilers to be back to the finals again
I mean, they probably will, given the reasons you listed. The Pacific is a cakewalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It’s so weird how many Penguins fans can’t accept McDavid is doing Mario Lemieux level things and the conversation between Sid and him as comparable individual contributors is simply over.

Reactions: BHD

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You can’t deny the productivity and absurd numbers he put up. However, he was not the catalyst for the series comeback, though. Edmonton’s depth and role players finally stepped up and Skinner had the week of his life. Most of McDavid’s points came after the games were essentially already secured.

Regardless and as usual

b68ad96a-f37f-4da4-9d5b-969f4a2b8980_text.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You can’t deny the productivity and absurd numbers he put up. However, he was not the catalyst for the series comeback, though. Edmonton’s depth and role players finally stepped up and Skinner had the week of his life. Most of McDavid’s points came after the games were essentially already secured.

Regardless and as usual

b68ad96a-f37f-4da4-9d5b-969f4a2b8980_text.gif

McDavid had 8 points in 2 games. How much more can you be "the catalyst"?

He disappeared in G6 and G7, but Penguins fans trying to level that against him and what Sid has done in his SCF appearances is bizarre, revisionist history.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
McDavid had 8 points in 2 games. How much more can you be "the catalyst"?

He disappeared in G6 and G7, but Penguins fans trying to level that against him and what Sid has done in his SCF appearances is bizarre, revisionist history.
It is revisionist history to claim McDavid carried the Oilers to game 7. He played a part but it was fully a team effort.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It is revisionist history to claim McDavid carried the Oilers to game 7. He played a part but it was fully a team effort.

I mean it's hockey. McDavid's SCF this year was more impressive then anything Sid has done in his career outside in a similar circumstance outside of the 2017 SCF.

We also seem to have forgotten Sid got blasted in his first SCF too. Way worse than McDavid did.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean it's hockey. McDavid's SCF this year was more impressive then anything Sid has done in his career outside in a similar circumstance outside of the 2017 SCF.

We also seem to have forgotten Sid got blasted in his first SCF too. Way worse than McDavid did.
Where have I compared him to Sid? You seem to be the one stuck on it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Where have I compared him to Sid? You seem to be the one stuck on it.

You were responding to Yohe's tweet which is obviously trying to find fault's in McDavid's historic performance.

I don't understand why we need to tear down what is literally a top 5 playoff run of all time from an individual contributor.

McDavid did everything he could to win.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You were responding to Yohe's tweet which is obviously trying to find fault's in McDavid's historic performance.

I don't understand why we need to tear down what is literally a top 5 playoff run of all time from an individual contributor.

McDavid did everything he could to win.
No, I was responding to @BHD post about McDavid being the catalyst to Edmonton’s comeback because I happen to disagree with that. I don’t give a rat’s ass what Josh Yohe thinks. I value Hair guy’s opinion equally to his.

I never said he shouldn’t win the Smythe. The numbers are absurd. I personally believe no player on a losing team should be eligible for the Smythe if they are swept or lose in 5 but obviously that didn’t happen so I don’t have issue with him winning it. I do find it funny he no showed game 6 and 7 though.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

How can you be the MVP when you put up goose eggs in the 2 most important games of the season?
If McDavid even had an assist in 1 of those games, I guess I could see it if you squint hard enough.

But they need to change the definition of the trophy and just do an "Art Ross of the playoffs" if it's going to go the leader in points.

Bob was the MVP of the winning team. To me, that fits the definition of the the Conn Smythe vs leading point getter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
How can you be the MVP when you put up goose eggs in the 2 most important games of the season?
If McDavid even had an assist in 1 of those games, I guess I could see it if you squint hard enough.

But they need to change the definition of the trophy and just do an "Art Ross of the playoffs" if it's going to go the leader in points.

Bob was the MVP of the winning team. To me, that fits the definition of the the Conn Smythe vs leading point getter

Because it's about the entire playoffs. Not two games in the finals. He had 42 points and broke the assist record in the playoffs.

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
It’s so weird how many Penguins fans can’t accept McDavid is doing Mario Lemieux level things and the conversation between Sid and him as comparable individual contributors is simply over.
It’s over

He had 2 big games, one where all his points came when it was already 3-1 his team

Crosby is finished

IMG_4926.png

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This, and nobody on Florida was good for the entire playoffs. Maybe Barkov, but that's it.
If they secured the sweep it would have been Bob. His numbers took a big hit in the next 3 games. No Panther fully standing out made it a pretty easy decision to give it to McDavid.

If you want to really get into the weeds about value, you could claim whoever’s job it was to shut down McDavid in the last 2 games played the biggest part in securing the Cup, but it seems to be a group effort again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It’s over

He had 2 big games, one where all his points came when it was already 3-1 his team

Crosby is finished

View attachment 886990

It's more the fact that he's going to hit 1000 points potentially faster than any player not named Lemieux / Gretzky.

He has a better trophy case then Sid outside of the Cup.

And he has broken a Gretzky record in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00