Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You gotta admit, it's pretty hilarious that a lot of the Trotz doom and gloom a few weeks ago started with the Egor trade
Let's not get silly, I'm not on cloud nine like many of you. This is an older group, you are going to be slapping players together and hoping it works and hoping you don't have injury problems.

We aren't the first team in history to load up like this. Whether it looks like is still to be determined.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Let's not get silly, I'm not on cloud nine like many of you. This is an older group, you are going to be slapping players together and hoping it works and hoping you don't have injury problems.

We aren't the first team in history to load up like this. Whether it looks like is still to be determined.
I like the "go for it" mentality. From a fundamental philosophical standpoint, I hate the concept of "tanking" or even just not doing your absolute utmost to win - every season, every night, immediately, today.

So I like the signings.

But at the same time, sure, it's also possible we look back at all this one day and end up thinking DOH! we committed way too much for way too long to guys who are too old, and end up looking back at this in hindsight as a day that helped crater the franchise. Even if that happens, though, I'll appreciate the attempt. I am like that with a lot of Poile's moves too. I understand what he was trying to do. Several of them didn't work out as hoped. But the thinking was correct. You have holes in the lineup, you try to fill them, you try to make the team better. I don't know what the odds of all these signings working out optimally really is... 50%? less? Even while thinking there's ample room for this to go awry, I like the attempt.
:handclap:

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Trotz essentially answered the question on Afanasyev at his press conference. He wanted to build a higher skilled top six with proven players. Admiral players need defined roles and PK in bottom six and work their way up. It seems pretty obvious he did not think Igor had that skill set and didn’t have enough skill to jump into the top six.

Separately, reading article on Trenin. His contract seems…. Remarkable.

It seems equally clear Trotz does not intend to pay this amount of money to fill those lower defined roles.

Any posts about how something is going now based on how this franchise has done things in the past lacks validity imo. We are in new uncharted territory as I see it.

Reactions: PredsV82

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC

I guess I meant it more in the context of Afanaseyev leaving for the KHL rather than in hindsight of yesterday's moves. He moved a player that knew wasn't going to play in the NHL for any asset he could get, but so many people thought it was just poor asset management

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess I meant it more in the context of Afanaseyev leaving for the KHL rather than in hindsight of yesterday's moves. He moved a player that knew wasn't going to play in the NHL for any asset he could get, but so many people thought it was just poor asset management
Well, to be fair, Afanaseyev probably would have stayed if somebody was willing to give him a 1-way NHL contract. But NHL GMs don't like punks making demands like that, so both Trotz and Greer were fine calling that bluff.

I personally wouldn't have cared about giving him $775k, and then waiving him to the minors if he wasn't good enough to make the team in training camp. But I don't have to worry about setting any precedents like they do.

Reactions: herzausstein

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well, to be fair, Afanaseyev probably would have stayed if somebody was willing to give him a 1-way NHL contract. But NHL GMs don't like punks making demands like that, so both Trotz and Greer were fine calling that bluff.

I personally wouldn't have cared about giving him $775k, and then waiving him to the minors if he wasn't good enough to make the team in training camp. But I don't have to worry about setting any precedents like they do.
I mean we did just give a 2 year - 1 way contract to Lucchini for 775K per... a 29 year old undrafted tweener. It has to be about the message it sends to the other youngsters.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I mean we did just give a 2 year - 1 way contract to Lucchini for 775K per... a 29 year old undrafted tweener. It has to be about the message it sends to the other youngsters.
I'm pretty sure the Hino and Lucchini contracts were 2-way. Blankenburg got a 1-way in the 2nd year, which is probably the carrot needed to get him since he's pretty good.

Note the CapFriendly hasn't updated all the terms of a lot of contracts, so they often initially put them in with full salary at the AHL level before confirming details. And now who knows if they ever will, given the sale. :(

Which reminds me... we talk about needing another RD if we dump Fabbro... well, Blankenburg is probably good enough to fill in that spot too. We don't ideally want a small guy like him, but he's a pretty good player and has that NHL tweener fill-in ability.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm pretty sure the Hino and Lucchini contracts were 2-way. Blankenburg got a 1-way in the 2nd year, which is probably the carrot needed to get him since he's pretty good.

Note the CapFriendly hasn't updated all the terms of a lot of contracts, so they often initially put them in with full salary at the AHL level before confirming details. And now who knows if they ever will, given the sale. :(

Which reminds me... we talk about needing another RD if we dump Fabbro... well, Blankenburg is probably good enough to fill in that spot too. We don't ideally want a small guy like him, but he's a pretty good player and has that NHL tweener fill-in ability.
I think if we dump fabbro then one of Stastney/Molendyk/del gaizo are penciled in and it looks similar to how a chunk of last year was
Skjei Josi
Lauzon Carrier *ugh*
Stastney/Molendyk Schenn
7th wheel *doesnt really matter*

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think if we dump fabbro then one of Stastney/Molendyk/del gaizo are penciled in and it looks similar to how a chunk of last year was
Skjei Josi
Lauzon Carrier *ugh*
Stastney/Molendyk Schenn
7th wheel *doesnt really matter*
For all that nice things were said about Molendyk last camp, I really can't see Trotz at the BBQ letting an undercooked junior-aged D play in the NHL.

Even Stastney who looks good and is fully ready... it wouldn't shock me at all if they leveraged his waiver exemption to send him back, at least initially, given we don't have other exempt guys. If the Cap crunch isn't worked out, anyhow.

Reactions: nullednumbed

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For all that nice things were said about Molendyk last camp, I really can't see Trotz at the BBQ letting an undercooked junior-aged D play in the NHL.

Even Stastney who looks good and is fully ready... it wouldn't shock me at all if they leveraged his waiver exemption to send him back, at least initially, given we don't have other exempt guys. If the Cap crunch isn't worked out, anyhow.
I could see both playing out. That still leaves del gaizo who looked pretty good in his NHL showings.

Faksa just managed to get traded for future considerations so there has to be a someone out there that woukd take a spin on one of glass/fabbro if that is the route trotz wanted to go

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Faksa just managed to get traded for future considerations so there has to be a someone out there that woukd take a spin on one of glass/fabbro if that is the route trotz wanted to go
He's probably going to have to move pretty quickly, though. Cap space is disappearing and even floor-seeking teams are going to have full lineups soon if they don't already. I don't think Trotz will hesitate very long. If he needs to dump guys for nothing, he will.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
Fabbro was decent with Josi, even pretty good for much of his time there.

Josi - Fabbro
Skjei - Carrier
Stastney - Schenn

If you're moving a D-man, trading Lauzon seems like the best option to ice the best team. He shouldn't play above the 3rd pairing and you can not pair him with Schenn. (Who also doesn't belong above the 3rd pairing)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm no huge Lauzon fan but he isn't going anywhere. Everyone in the organization loves him.
Sadly i agree with this. He was consistently given 18+ minutes a night even in the playoffs. Brunette saw him as a 2nd pairing dman (along with carrier). Now with carrier back, they are going to be a pairing again. It is pretty clear from the usage who in the current signed dmen is low on their list.

Besides 2 million a year... you arent going to replace him for much cheaper.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Sadly i agree with this. He was consistently given 18+ minutes a night even in the playoffs. Brunette saw him as a 2nd pairing dman (along with carrier). Now with carrier back, they are going to be a pairing again. It is pretty clear from the usage who in the current signed dmen is low on their list.

Besides 2 million a year... you arent going to replace him for much cheaper.
I will say I also think Lauzon does still have potential to improve. He just needs to learn that being a physical D-man isn't entirely about your hit totals. I'm hoping he realized how easily he was pushed around in the net front these last playoffs and focuses on improving that bit of his game.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Fabbro was decent with Josi, even pretty good for much of his time there.

Josi - Fabbro
Skjei - Carrier
Stastney - Schenn

If you're moving a D-man, trading Lauzon seems like the best option to ice the best team. He shouldn't play above the 3rd pairing and you can not pair him with Schenn. (Who also doesn't belong above the 3rd pairing)
Guessing it is really

Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
Stastney - Schenn

:help:

I will say I also think Lauzon does still have potential to improve. He just needs to learn that being a physical D-man isn't entirely about your hit totals. I'm hoping he realized how easily he was pushed around in the net front these last playoffs and focuses on improving that bit of his game.
Yes, and stop rushing up ice or pinching. He doesn't have the puck skills to do anything when he tries things at the other end. If he can just simplify his game... keep playing hard in his own end, but not wander out of position or chase hits while doing it, and not get any ideas whatsoever at the other end... he could be just fine. Team seems to like his overall "intangibles"/leadership, so if you could get him to play smarter, he'd be fine. If...

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Guessing it is really

Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
Stastney - Schenn

:help:

Yes, and stop rushing up ice or pinching. He doesn't have the puck skills to do anything when he tries things at the other end. If he can just simplify his game... keep playing hard in his own end, but not wander out of position or chase hits while doing it, and not get any ideas whatsoever at the other end... he could be just fine. Team seems to like his overall "intangibles"/leadership, so if you could get him to play smarter, he'd be fine. If...
He does have brick hands, but he skates a lot better than people give him credit for IMO. He's about at that age now though where if he doesn't put it all together, he'll top out as a bottom pair dude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad