Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Do you really think Dillon and Bones moves the team back that far? In a bubble I'd like to have kept Dillon, but at $4 M AAV he is being paid at the top of his veteran pay scale. But internally we have Samberg ready to move into the # 2 LHD position, and the team really needs to know what they have there as he is a pending RFA with Arb rights. He will be in a position to sign his long term contract and the organization needs to get that right. Heinola then needs an opportunity to step into the # 3 LHD role, assuming he beats out out Stanley, which I think is very likely.

At coach, to be honest I'm glad Bones has retired. He brought nice defensive structure to the team, but he is old school to a fault and was a block to the next wave of prospects taking on more important roles. At least at this point I remain optimistic the Arniel is much more open to this. I see us as a team, that might take a small step back in the regular season, but better positioned to compete in the playoffs, assuming internal growth by our young players.

The loss of Dillon is a big hole. Samberg is solid but was/is already in the lineup. Heinola is a defensive liability unfortunately - hope that changes this year but unlikely.

What Bones was able to accomplish with this team in 2 short years is remarkable. People have already forgotten how mediocre we were when he was brought on, to how good he had us become in such a short time. We will be back in the mushy middle this year when we return to high event hockey where we stop properly defending the middle of the ice.

Reactions: sipowicz

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do you really think Dillon and Bones moves the team back that far? In a bubble I'd like to have kept Dillon, but at $4 M AAV he is being paid at the top of his veteran pay scale. But internally we have Samberg ready to move into the # 2 LHD position, and the team really needs to know what they have there as he is a pending RFA with Arb rights. He will be in a position to sign his long term contract and the organization needs to get that right. Heinola then needs an opportunity to step into the # 3 LHD role, assuming he beats out out Stanley, which I think is very likely.

At coach, to be honest I'm glad Bones has retired. He brought nice defensive structure to the team, but he is old school to a fault and was a block to the next wave of prospects taking on more important roles. At least at this point I remain optimistic the Arniel is much more open to this. I see us as a team, that might take a small step back in the regular season, but better positioned to compete in the playoffs, assuming internal growth by our young players.
how do you know he would have blocked them for sure? all of robertson, hintz, oettinger, heiskanen played pivotal roles on dallas in 2 of the 3 years (the first year being partial with Montgomery being suspended). even gurianov had a jump in role and production before leaving dallas under bowness. not necessarily prospects, but an under-25 group. i'll be surprised if the Jets get a "wave of prospects" in the starting line up for 24-25 regardless of who is the coach, given how the roster sits right now.

also the GM is the one that brings the players in, and routinely for years the vets are usually ahead to start until an injury hits and the young player flourishes, making it impossible to move them back down: ie: scheifele to 1c, or connor in 17-18, mason ahead of helle initially in 17-18. or if the Jets lose FAs from beg. of year, & TDL that open up spots, but none of that happened this past UFA or TDL so not really applicable.

perfetti for example a bunch of opportunity this year, they didn't like him at C but was still a top-6 Winger. namestnikov and later monahan replaces him at C, and then he was the weakest of the top-6 wings after vilardi came back and chevy acquired toffoli. perhaps he could've been a 4th liner, but it seems like - and even arniel alluded to this - it's top-6 or bust for him. that doesn't seem to me like strictly a bowness problem.

Last edited:

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
What Bones was able to accomplish with this team in 2 short years is remarkable. People have already forgotten how mediocre we were when he was brought on, to how good he had us become in such a short time. We will be back in the mushy middle this year when we return to high event hockey where we stop properly defending the middle of the ice.
Agreed with the bolded but to be fair, we don't know what Scott Arniel will bring to the HC role yet.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed with the bolded but to be fair, we don't know what Scott Arniel will bring to the HC role yet.
while true. but it seems like the commentary from few have been shitting on bowness for whatever reason, like their favorite players not performing well..."glad he retired", "average coach average results" blah blah blah.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I assume Scott will not want the vets turning on him so let’s see if he can sell his vision.

Notwithstanding a phenomenal Vezina season from Bucky there is one stat line that really made us last season and allowed us to finish 4th OA.

Laurent Brossoit G 25 W 15 L 5 T 2 save % of .927

Holy f*** that is amazing. He had 15 wins Helle Had 37 Wins so Laurent was way way more important to our 4th OA finish than anyone is talking about. This category alone will most likely cost us 10 points in the standings. He generated 32 points in 23 games from our back up last season and we will be lucky if our back up generates 23 points in 23 games this season and they will most likely be sub .910 save %.
1726673961908.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
while true. but it seems like the commentary from few have been shitting on bowness for whatever reason, like their favorite players not performing well..."glad he retired", "average coach average results" blah blah blah.
Why does it matter to you if others have different opinions then yours?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Two very big personnel losses in the offseason - Rick Bowness and Brenden Dillon. Toffoli and Monahan didn't improve the team. Brossoit was great and deserves the bigger contract and larger role that he is getting Chicago. He will be missed, but a backup playing ~20 games is not going to have a huge impact on your season. I see a measurable step backwards for this team this year - back to playoff bubble team I fear. Hope I am wrong
That's what people said last year.

Of our youngens take a step forward and vets play like they can I think we challenge for the division.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why does it matter to you if others have different opinions then yours?
lol wow, what a comment. last i checked this is a free-to-use forum that allows discussion, debate which will ultimately result in a differing of opinions. if you disagree that bowness did a good job from what the team was under his tenure versus where they were the year prior, then be my guest. i believe you will be in the minority of that.

unless you have a response that actually delves into the Hockey topic at hand, rather than just bitching and whining like you usually do, you can just save the keystrokes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ekotyluk

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
I think we'll miss Dillon's toughness and Monahan in the face off circle. I don't see the other departures as being too earth shattering to be honest. Our back up goalie status took a bit of a hit too, but if our back ups only play 20 games a year this amounts to maybe 2-3 fewer wins over the course of the season at most.

I see the vacancies as an opportunity for guys like Ville, Lambert and possibly Chibby to make the roster, and opportunity for guys like Perfetti (sign him already!) and Barron to play bigger roles. We might not finish fourth overall but we're definitely still in the playoff picture this year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think ppl underestimate how difficult it is for teams to repeat 110+ pt years. i expect the Jets to crawl back a bit, but i don't see the low 100s as some inconceivable finish.

since the 2004 lockout, it is around ~20% of the teams that hit 110+ pts (or 0.671+ pts%) in a year repeated it the following season.

Carolina is currently on a streak of 4 straight years a 0.671 pts%+, which matches Detroit from 2005-2009.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
i think ppl underestimate how difficult it is for teams to repeat 110+ pt years. i expect the Jets to crawl back a bit, but i don't see the low 100s as some inconceivable finish.

since the 2004 lockout, it is around ~20% of the teams that hit 110+ pts (or 0.671+ pts%) in a year repeated it the following season.

Carolina is currently on a streak of 4 straight years a 0.671 pts%+, which matches Detroit from 2005-2009.
Anyone’s guess
I’d say 88 is the number this season

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I assume Scott will not want the vets turning on him so let’s see if he can sell his vision.

Notwithstanding a phenomenal Vezina season from Bucky there is one stat line that really made us last season and allowed us to finish 4th OA.

Laurent Brossoit G 25 W 15 L 5 T 2 save % of .927

Holy f*** that is amazing. He had 15 wins Helle Had 37 Wins so Laurent was way way more important to our 4th OA finish than anyone is talking about. This category alone will most likely cost us 10 points in the standings. He generated 32 points in 23 games from our back up last season and we will be lucky if our back up generates 23 points in 23 games this season and they will most likely be sub .910 save %.
Good point.

I’m higher on Kaapo Kahkonen than most. His stock has dropped sharply after 2+ season playing goal for the smouldering pile of garbage that is the SJ Sharks. His numbers outside of San Jose were fairly respectable.

Replicating Brossoit’s performance last season will be an extremely difficult task, but I could see Kahkonen being a bit of a revelation this season.

(Goalies are voodoo, anyway. KK could be north of 0.920, south of 0.900, neither result would be all that surprising to me.)

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good point.

I’m higher on Kaapo Kahkonen than most. His stock has dropped sharply after 2+ season playing goal for the smouldering pile of garbage that is the SJ Sharks. His numbers outside of San Jose were fairly respectable.

Replicating Brossoit’s performance last season will be an extremely difficult task, but I could see Kahkonen being a bit of a revelation this season.

(Goalies are voodoo, anyway. KK could be north of 0.920, south of 0.900, neither result would be all that surprising to me.)
If he's got a 0.920+ at the deadline I'd be down to try and scam the leafs for a 1st and bring up Comrie to start the remaining 5 backup games:popcorn:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think we'll miss Dillon's toughness and Monahan in the face off circle. I don't see the other departures as being too earth shattering to be honest. Our back up goalie status took a bit of a hit too, but if our back ups only play 20 games a year this amounts to maybe 2-3 fewer wins over the course of the season at most.

I see the vacancies as an opportunity for guys like Ville, Lambert and possibly Chibby to make the roster, and opportunity for guys like Perfetti (sign him already!) and Barron to play bigger roles. We might not finish fourth overall but we're definitely still in the playoff picture this year.
I'm not too concerned about Monahan -- team was doing fine and putting up wins without his acquisition at the deadline and he didn't move the needle at all in the playoffs. I think that Dillon's toughness will be missed much more.

That said I agree with you, Jets are most likely still in the playoff picture this year. But at this point I'm banking on another pathetic flameout in the playoffs ... win game 1 then lose 4 in a row seems to be their pattern. I guess I'll be happy if they actually win two playoff games as that would be some progress. Are Jets destined to become the next Leafs?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

now people can stop using buff as an example of either the org messing up or the dressing room being toxic for the reason he left...
I just got more respect for Buff, he left on his own terms. Whatever resentment I had for him dragging the club and fans along has long disappeared.

Buff is my all time favorite Jet (including Jets 1.0). I hope the Jets honor him in the near future. If you disagree, fight me!

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just got more respect for Buff, he left on his on terms. Whatever resentment I had for him dragging the club and fans along has long disappeared. Buff is my all time favorite Jet (including Jets 1.0). I hope the Jets honor him in the near future.
:laugh: Buff being Buff, they might have a hard time getting him to show up to be honoured. Maybe if they promise to take him fishing while he is here. :laugh:

Reactions: ERYX and Aggie204

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Has anyone compiled a simple reference for old people which lists all the players who were on the active roster in March/April and are now no longer with the team?

Asking for a friend.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad